newbie questions

Last Updated:

1. sig

sig New Member This Topic's Starter

Hi all, just found this site and wishing to learn.

Nice thing is I just bought a smart phone, bad thing is I'm not a smart person:D

Seriously, phone is strictly for work. I'm an old guy (we didn't have computers in college when I went), but the phone came with almost no instructions (phone came in today).

Any chance can I store excel spread sheets on the phone as well as PDF files?

Will the phone notify you if you've gotten e-mail (currently, mine doesn't). Also, it seems that I can't pull up sent messages via e-mail from my end as well.

LOVE the phone to get into technical websites related to my industry (for my older eyes, love how you can enlarge the screen and speed you can access the web).

My old phone was the first Blackberry storm that came out, and for e-mail, it worked great and now that I'm on a new format, getting a little lost.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

Advertisement
  2. sitlet

sitlet Banned

Store them, yes. Read/edit them, yes but you need an app like Documents To Go.

Yes. If you use Gmail or exchange, you will get your email instantly to the phone. If you use another email type, the phone will poll the email server every X minutes. This can be set, but the shorter the increment the more battery is used.

Android can pretty much access any website out there. If it has flash, you will need android 2.2 to view it, and currently only the Nexus One, Evo, and Original Droid have it.

3. TheSultan

TheSultan Well-Known Member

i tend to skim read so maybe I'm missing something...want to tell us what phone you have?

HTC devices work a little differently than Motorola devices out of the box. Each company puts their own little OS on them. That info will help us to help you.

4. substring

substring Well-Known Member

Hi Sig, my advice to you is to go back to the store where you bought the phone, and ask them to show you how to use the phone. They should be happy to assist.