Newbie questionsGeneral

Last Updated:

1. Tomo8282

Tomo8282 New Member This Topic's Starter

Hi,
    Got my lovely new desire HD yesterday! I have a few questions though.

1) It asks me to link all my contacts with Facebook AND HTC Facebook? Why both?

2) How do I uninstall applications that came with the phone? Like the Amazon mp3 one?

3) As I've been using gmail for years I've got a lot of random 'contacts' which are basically just saved email addresses. How do I remove them from poppingup in my phone contacts?

4) It seems I have quite a few map/location applications. Some you pay for and did that are free. I'm guessingthe free ones are Googles and the paid ones are HTC? How do I get rd of the HTC ones then?

5) Is there anyway to customize the keyboard at all? Say to move the numbers button from the right to the left?

6) Why does it use American spelling when I have selected English(United Kingdom)?

Sorry for so many questions, basics ones as well!

Any help will be appreciative,
    Thanks,
    Tom

Advertisement
  2. AndrizzleHD

AndrizzleHD Well-Known Member

Not to high jack Tomo's post but I have some newbie q's as well but can't find a thread to ask em:

1) I want to read magazines/comics on my DHD. I have them in .pdf and jpegs (in folder). Which would be better for viewing on my phone?

2) Okay lol, in order to use a WiFi connection (once connected) do I need to turn off internet data service, or does it automatically use WiFi until you disconnect? (I know, I know...just checking!)

3) Is VPN included with this handset? If not, any recommendations on apps would be great.

4) Does this phone (ordering from UK) come with other languages installed? I want to know if the following are there: Spanish/Japanese/Hebrew/Arabic.

5) Should I install the latest DHD update when I get my phone or wait? (I guess some people are having problems since updating?)

Thanks for any help here with the both of us!

3. arlrb

arlrb Well-Known Member

AndrizzleHD:

1. The phone has adobe reader on it as standard, so i reckon pdfs would be better. I assume it would see the jpgs as any other jpg, so it might not be as good in terms of functions (next/prev page, zoom etc)

2. Uses wifi if available, otherwise cellular data (automatic)

3. Market

4. On mine (SIM free UK): English, Spanish, French & Italian. I'm sure you could get it to do the others, email HTC.

5. Apparently the update was to cure a fault (or a work around) whereby the phone became completely unresponsive when you made a call. If this isn't happening with yours then don't bother just yet. - see proximity sensor failure thread

4. arlrb

arlrb Well-Known Member

Tomo:

1. ? I'm not a social networker

2. Settings > apps > manage apps
    Select the app & you have access to it's options. Some apps are integral parts of the OS so it might not have an uninstall option.

3. In phone book options somewhere, you can select where to save, deselect google, & it won't sync from google. Otherwise go into your google account & delete them manually.

4. Just don't use them.

5. Market. Look at settings > language & keyboard > touch input as well

6. Tough. It will save new words to dictionary.