Newbie questions...Support

Last Updated:

1. panhead_pete

panhead_pete Member This Topic's Starter

Hi guys as per my intro Im not much of a tech minded person :) and have just bought a HTC Magic which Im trying to master and is the 1st of this kind of phone I have had. Am I being a little paranoid re having to log into google to use the calender and someone having access to it? If not is there a good calender app?

I am also yet to load any apps and whilst I have done a search Im not sure which Skype application I should load??? I have a wireless set up at home and would use it predominatly from there.

Thanks for the help. This will be a bit of a curve for me.

Advertisement
  2. mjschmidt

mjschmidt Well-Known Member

You don't have to log in to Google to use the calendar app. In fact, the default calendar in the app is the "My Calendar" (you can have multiple "calendars" in the app, each with a different name) doesn't even sync to Google.

When you create a new event in the calendar app, it will, by default, be added to your "My Calendar" calendar (sorry if that sounds a bit confusing). If you have created a Google account, you will likely also see an option in the drop down list for a new event that shows your Gmail address. If you want the event to sync to your Gmail calendar online, choose your "gmail" calendar, otherwise, leave it as the default calendar.

Also, you can go into your phone settings to SETTINGS > DATA SYNCHRONIZATION > DATA SYNCHRONIZATION and disable Auto-sync by unchecking it. This was even if you do accidentally create an event in your gmail calendar on the phone, it won't sync unless you want it to.

As far as people accessing your Gmail calendar, as long as you pick a good password, keep it secret, and/or "publish" (share) your online gmail calendar, no one will have access to it.

Let me know if you have any other questions.