Newbie saying hi!

Last Updated:

1. iamoraal

iamoraal Member This Topic's Starter

Well, Hi guys and gals. I just upgraded from a Nokia 2670 to the Galaxy i7500. Chose that particular phone 'cause I was able to get it without the DATA package. I'm not into the Twitter/Facebook stuff. I'm at my computer at home a lot, so I don't need nor want email, ect.

Anyways,
    I have found that the i7500 is not the easiest phone to get set up the way I want it to. For instance, it took me almost a week to figure out how to move my files from the ROM to my desktop (iMac). I have the phone paired but not connected via bluetooth to my iMac, and can see but can't get past my wireless router using wifi. I called Samsung, but found their tech support just about as smart as I am about this phone. They couldn't even tell me how to connect my phone via usb!:eek: I figured that out myself.

Found this forum and have been reading around a bit and will look into rooting it. I want to "loose" some of the google apps (google maps, talk, gps). One thing I can't seem to find info on is the sound recorder. When I look at the applications folder, I find a "sound recorder" app, but I can't see how to start it or put a shortcut on my phone's "desktop".

I'm sure I'm not the first to ask these q's so I'll keep looking. 'Course, if you point me in the right direction, I'd be indebted to you.

Thanks.:)

Advertisement
  2. Steven58

Steven58 Reformed PH VIP Member

Welcome to the Android Forum community! Glad you signed up! Feel free to join the conversations! :D

I'm going to move this to your phone's section for you! :D

3. Lelouch

Lelouch Well-Known Member

Welcome iamorall to the community. ;)
    I'm sorry for your f***ed experience by Sam*censored tech support, trust me we all already experienced it, so we are using are own experience to help other users, better to say, welcome to the Tech support powered by Android community (and we do a damn good job providing it). :cool:

Now for your questions.
    First of all, I'm presuming you have 1.5 stock ROM installed, or maybe 1.6. My advice is to go for Galaco ASAP, trust me is waaay better then the one you are currently uing. It will give you better experience with the one, you also have a great themes for it (inFECT's and another one :p ). For that download a donated version of GalaxyUpdater app by Drakaz, you can download free version but with it you can download and install only Recovery 6.4 (a must have on your unit) but not the Galaxo (based on Android 1.6 but optimized for it) and GAOSP (based on Android 2.2, still in preBETA phase).

Have a look on your baseband in Settings/About phone/Baseband version and give us a shout what it is (JC6 is advisable to have). About the gapps (Gmail and other stuff), by installing the Galaxo you want have them unless you installed them yourself. But it's advisable to have them 'cause your contacts are in sync with google, so unless you saved on SIM you will have to add them again manually if you're not using gapps (yes they automatic appear with syncing with google services).

4. PFKaKRL

PFKaKRL Member

Wellcome aboard iamoraal,
    I guess you are from India subcontinent (cause i know there are friends here which are living similar problems.) probably your data plan includes an APN which have got a proxy thats why you are experiencing this problem.
    If you are from India as i assume http://androidforums.com/samsung-i7500/115486-gprs-settings.html this topic may help you.

5. iamoraal

iamoraal Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks for your replies.

First, I did read on the forums here that bluetooth on donut 1.5 does not support file transfer. Go figure!

PFKaKRL: I live in Ontario, Canada.

Lelouch:
    Phone model is GT-I7500L.
    Firmware is 1.5.
    Baseband is I7500BMIK6.
    Kernel Version is 2.6.27.

I was looking at both Galaco and GAOSP. I do use my camera for stills and video recording. The I read, GAOSP still didn't have the camera working yet.

Is there a tutorial to help install them?

Thanks!

6. weasel

weasel Well-Known Member

The camera works just fine on GAOSP for both still and video. If you want to go the GAOSP route, you will have a problem accessing the market. Other than that, it works pretty darned good for a pre-beta.

First, install 1.6 (JC6)
    Second, install Galaxo 1.6.3.4

You are probably going to want to download 1.5 again ( just in case ). You will also need odin, adb and to install NPS.

There are great tutorials for both here. Read them about three times before you give it a go. Happy reading and we'll be here if you need help.

Derek