Newbie to the moment...??Support

Last Updated:

1. diggerdpilot

diggerdpilot New Member This Topic's Starter

Hi all,

Fresh to the Androids and this forum from the BB world. I upgraded to the Moment with Sprint service, and my jury is still out. Love the apps so far, but I am fighting this whole "no drivers" thing.

My laptop will not do much of anything, it always kicks to trying to install the drivers. When I toggle the USB debugging to on, it does nothing, gives me the searching for drivers routine, but I can see it on the device manager, although it has the yellow exclamation point beside it. If I toggle it off, I do get the USB connected box on the phone, but it disappears on the device manager on the laptop.

I downloaded and tried the driver install from the PC studio program, no luck. I downloaded something from randomtech.com, and can see it on my desktop, but Windows will not load from it. Bluetooth will not hook them up either. Very frustrating. I have also tried to power down and up the phone, no luck.

I realize some or most of you all will laugh, but I am not very android smart at all, so go slow. I am just a dumb firefighter by trade.
    I am running Vista, I think 32 bit. I have also been mulling over going to Windows 7, any better luck with that?

Anyhow, nice to meet you all!

Dig

Advertisement
  2. zcarman

zcarman Well-Known Member

Also coming from Berries and WinMo, so I feel your pain! My Moment links up correctly about 75% of the time. What you need to do is make sure that you are plugging in, then check the device notifications for one that says "Mount USB" or something to that effect and click it...

Should connect all the time that way.

3. diggerdpilot

Hey, nice to meet ya,

Is that USB mount only for the internal micro card? I found drivers at PDAnet, and they seem to have loaded. I am fighting a new driver issue, something called CDC something, but it seems to have loaded now too.

What is bugging me to death is that my phone has yet to hook up at all via the USB cable or Bluetooth. It can see the laptop in BT, but gets rejected.

Plus, I have heard good and bad about that PCStudio, but havent had a chance to tell either way.

I hated my World since it didnt have a camera, but it did seem to blend easier into the PC.

Will keep this updated and see where it goes.

4. IOWA

IOWA Mr. Logic Pants Moderator

Ok guys you ONLY need drivers if your using PDANet, ODIN, or the like. You can get them by downloading and installing Samsung NEW PC Studio. Make sure it says NEW, as there are two versions. Then uninstall it. The drivers *should* remain. (PC STUDIO IS USELESS IMO).

Now to mount the microSD inside, you need nothing but the cord. Make sure USB DEBUGGING IS OFF!!!!!!!!! (on pcs)

On macs, i believe debugging needs to be on.

Now when you connect, a usb icon should show up on your notification bar. Pull down the bar, and select "Mount SD Card". Finish that up, and it will show up as removable memory drive on your computer. When you finish things up, MAKE SURE YOU UNMOUNT VIA NOTIFICATION BAR, the same way you mounted it. Otherwise, you will need to reboot for your SD to work again.

thepinkc likes this.
  5. Chicago77

Chicago77 Member

Ahhaaaaa! I was going crazy for the last 2 days wondering why I couldn't connect all of the sudden. So how does one reboot and will one lose data if choosing to do so?

6. IOWA

Rebooting is simple. Power off, Power on. I have not lost any data, but anything is *possible* albeit unlikely.

7. Chicago77

Chicago77 Member

I'm caught in some weird USB connect boot loop.

I've got debugging off, I plug USB from computer to phone, I get "USB connected" in notification bar...OK everything seems cool, right? I use pull down menu to connect, get the "select mount" screen, I press mount then I get "turn off USB card and then "preparing USB card" both in quick succession in the notification bar and then I'm back to"USB connected" again....over and over and over again :eek:

Anybody have some advice on this one?

*Quick edit to say I'm using Windows 7 64 bit and if I open up Control Panel>Hardware and Sound>Devices and printers, I can see that the computer sees something and is calling it SAMSUNG_Android and if I right click that icon to browse files, it comes up as Removable Disk (I) and it's grayed out and I can't get in. If I take the SD card out of the phone and plug it into the computer via microSD adapter, it reads it just fine.

8. IOWA

Hmm... a Hard Reset may be in order.... if you have the CL14 upgrade you can hard reset.

9. Chicago77

Chicago77 Member

I have the update and at the risk of sounding redundant, "So how does one do a hard reset and will one lose data if choosing to do so?"

Thanks for helping brainstorm on this one. :)

10. diggerdpilot

So is the New Samsung PC thing worth it? I found the drivers on PDAnet, and would like to be able to use it as a modem. It still does not recognize the phone, although I did delete the Samsung PC thing last night but havent hooked it up yet.