Newbie with an alarm and questionsGeneral

Last Updated:

1. livefreebee

livefreebee Active Member This Topic's Starter

Hey everyone! This is my first post. I have been lurking around here as a non-poster sucking up all the information I could about preserving my Eris's battery life, tips and tricks, and of course the mysterious upgrade to 2.0/2.1.

This is my first smartphone and I am in love with it. There are just a couple things that I'm not sure if it's "user error" or if it's my phone.

Firstly, the alarm clock! I do use advanced task killer, and thought that maybe the alarm wasn't going off because I was killing the clock app. I tried unchecking the clock and keeping it running; my alarm did not go off. I've been trying to master it for about a week, and it's only gone off twice, and both times (I believe) it was plugged into the charger. I know from the battery lessons that I don't need to be charging it all night if it's not low on battery.

Yesterday I rebooted (not sure if it's the right term-- turned it off and on lol) my phone, and when I was texting my keys were making funny noises. I had never had that happen before. I'm sure this is something minor, but where exactly is the control for that? I have looked in Settings and Spare Parts, but haven't found it. Sometimes I think this phone is TOO smart, because things will be seemingly hidden from me :)

My husband originally got a Storm 2 and wound up returning it for an Eris (after he saw all the awesome things the Eris offers that the Storm doesn't!) I have had more time to play with mine and personalize it; I had spent a good couple days browsing the battery tips and tweaking my phone. I had tried to do the same for his, but his awake time is over 50% and his battery is always dying. I'm trying to get him to drain/recharge his battery for 3 days but he's a stubborn guy. Short of that, do you think there's anything I'm missing? He has a task killer, toggles for wifi/gps/etc, switched to ChompSMS rather than the native msg... Any advice?

And I just want to thank everyone for all your knowledge! This forum has been invaluable in learning how to use the Eris to its full potential!

Advertisement
  2. bjf88

bjf88 Well-Known Member

Answers in bold.

3. livefreebee

How do you function without a task killer?? I didn't have it for the first week I had my phone, and my phone was dead in a matter of a few short hours. Granted, I understand the phone a lot better now, but I just can't imagine that the battery life would be sustainable.

4. Aelhues

Aelhues Active Member

I have advanced task killer installed, but rarely use it. If you are having issues with battery life being that short, you should take a look at the thread about battery or resource hog apps (I forget the title). Also, there is a thread on here about task killers, and why they aren't important, and are possibly a hindrance to a phone running smooth, and the battery lasting well. I'm not convinced that a task killer isn't occasionally useful, but I wouldn't want one running in the background, nor would I want to use it frequently.

5. livefreebee

I've literally read the entire 9 page thread on the battery. MY battery is fine, it's my husband's that's the issue. I had been convinced that draining/recharging my battery helped, but I am not sure after re-reading that thread. I'll just make him read that thread and figure it out himself:)

I'll have to further investigate the Task Killer debate...but I am burnt out now.

Thanks for the advice!