Newbie with questionsSupport

Last Updated:

1. holgalee

holgalee Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hi! This is my first post! :p

Just got my SGS for a few days and I'm having a great time with it. Managed to upgrade to Froyo using Kies and have no issues. I need to know more about the following:

1) What's the use of LauncherPro or ADW.Launcher? Are they better than what SGS uses, which is...? I see some screenshots online and wonder whether they will replace my homescreen with a HTC-like interface?

2) How do I remove or change the start-up screen with the telco's ad, or those apps put in by the telco? Is it by rooting? I see so many threads and pages about rooting that I get a little muddled.

3) What's the best free dictionary app with pronunciation, that can be used offline?

4) What's the name of the Android robot and how do I find still or active wallpapers of it?

Thanks in advance!

Advertisement
  2. webstar

webstar Member

1. LauncherPro and ADW launcher replace your default launcher, which is TouchWiz 3.0. I personally dislike TW3.0 'cause if its iPhone-like menu and icons, but LauncherPro is great, and in my opinion currently the best replacement launcher. You can customize it how you like. You will still be able to change between those launchers as you please by using an app like home switcher which can be found on market.

2. That would be debranding your phone. It can be done by flashing a generic rom via odin. You will then have an unbranded galaxy s, which will look pretty much standard without carrier apps and ads. My galaxy s was branded, and i just couldn't stand it, so i flashed to a generic stock rom. If you decide to do so, please take some time and examine threads on how to do it, as it could result in a bricked phone if not done properly. I guess that unbranding a phone which you got on a contract will void your warranty. I am pretty much new to android too, had my galaxy s for less then a week, but already customized it how i like it.

4. I believe it's just android. You can try searchin for green android wallpapers, and you'll get some of those still wallpapers. I wouldn't know if there are any live wallpapers of it, probably are.

There is a pretty nice FAQ thread in this forum, so take a look at it. It'll help you alot.

Also, to all other, more experienced users, like i said i'm also new to android, so if i'm wrong about something, feel free to correct me.

holgalee likes this.
  3. holgalee

holgalee Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks, webstar, for the most comprehensive reply! I've downloaded LauncherPro and am playing with it to see which interface I prefer. Both are fun and have their own pros and cons. I'm so glad I got an android phone so I've got lots of options! :)

I now have a clearer idea about rooting and will find out more. Perhaps in a week or two when I'm more comfortable with the idea, I'll give it a try. And yes, I found some green robots, thanks to your tip.

Many thanks for sharing your thoughts, I really appreciate it. Most of my friends and colleagues are using iphones, so I don't have ready 'tech support' and need to do all the research myself. I'm not particularly techie, but am coping well thanks to the wealth of information available online and the helpfulness of android users.

4. goyal.sanchit

goyal.sanchit Well-Known Member

1.) Would leave that for others to answer.

2.) That would require rooting and flashing a custom ROM.

3.) Colordict is good but it doesnt have pronounciation. I wonder if any other offline free app offer that.

4.) No name for Android robot in particular. People may like to call it "android bot". Googling with that term would lead to some results.