• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

StanC

Lurker
Nov 21, 2015
I guess that there is no real reason to start a new thread. My Samsung Galaxy 10.1 became a paper weight today -- with a gray battery frozen on the screen until the fully charged battery dies, again.
Support could not help me and the only other person on the forum to have the same problem received no answer back in 2012.

Thanks to the two of you for your responses.
Yes, I did a little perusing before declaring the tab a paper weight.
The tab was working fine last week; I used it to watch the continuation of a Netflix movie that I had been watching on my computer. I forgot to turn off the WiFi. Then, I forgot all about it until yesterday. When I tried to turn it on, a gray battery came on the screen with a little stopped clock on it. I plugged it into the charger. The battery symbol was on the screen all night long and it was still there in the morning when I awoke. I unplugged the charger and tried to turn it on to no avail. I plugged it back into the charger and let it sit for several hours before trying the on-line chat with support. He suggested to plug it into the computer rather than the charger. That did nothing. Then he walked me through a hard reset. That did not happen either, I could not get the reset menu, only the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 screen or the battery symbol.

Upvote 0
Hmm, odd that it was working just fine without an intervening cause (but I've had that happen to an old HP laptop I'm still mad about :p).

I've got a water-damaged Nexus 5 phone that the USB cable/connector has to be in just the right position to get it to actually charge...

Perhaps that's the case with the tablet, too--or does the battery symbol/icon also indicate how much change it has (i.e., gradients of an empty battery up to a full battery)?

Other thought is that you might need a different cable/charger, too...

Reactions: StanC and lunatic59
Upvote 0
If the battery can't hold a charge anymore, I would expect this to be what it would do. Try this ... with the tablet plugged into the charger, press and hold the power button for 30 seconds. It will probably try to restart several times, but that's okay. If that doesn't clear it up, Press and hold the power, home and volume down button all at the same time until it boots into the recovery menu. From there try wiping the cache. (use the volume buttons to scroll and power to select).

After all that and the thing still won't boot, I'd have to say the battery was a goner. :(

Upvote 0
The back of the tab gets warm after a few minutes of charging, as it did from when I bought it. Even after unplugging the unit from the charger, the screen stays lit with the battery symbol many hours without signs of a fully discharged unit.
The battery symbol does not show levels of charge, simply a battery with a little clock face on it with the sweep hand frozen.
I have an evening out, so I will check back when I get home.

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0
Even with the actual Samsung charger? Because I had a similar issue with my tab 3, flat as a pancake for a few days, went back to it charging for a day on a generic plug usb charger & nada, then I read on here to use the original Samsung charger because it works at whatever frequency of power delivery to a generic usb charger & she's alive as the days again..

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones