Newbies owners aggregated tips...Tips

Last Updated:

1. Hawklord

Hawklord Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

As a dumbo myself I wrote up what took me a few days to pull together so other newbies could save a lot of time in getting their new pet house trained :D

O2 Forum :: View topic - Tips for new owners of Samsung Galaxy/i7500

Am cross-posting it here in gratitude for all the stuff I have learned and picked up - many thanks folks :)

Cheers

H

ps anyway seems a nice title for a thread (sticky this one?) so any errors and ommissions would be cool to know {might save me some more time too ;)]

Advertisement
  2. jwk

jwk Active Member

I'm in the same boat myself and found most of what you have but i hadn't come across APNdroid. And it happens to be exactly what i was looking for !

Thanks for taking the time, it's appreciated.

3. ZeeToo

ZeeToo Well-Known Member

I just had a read of your thread...

It's good info thanks, but I do have a question about the background data? Have you actually compared the difference between background data on and background data off?

I did some tests (in another post) and found that background on takes more power than data off.

http://androidforums.com/samsung-i7500/8135-terrible-battery-life-firmware-issue.html

With it on I dropped about 3-4% over 9hrs (even with no data active), with a data connection active (GPRS) I had about a 15% drop with background on. With background off and gprs on I had only a 0-1% drop over a similar period.

It's not a huge drop, but every little helps :)

ZeeToo.

4. Hawklord

Hi Guys

Tx4the tx :)

Well as you see my aim was to get the new naive owner to first base which is roughly where I am now (ie from "rubbish" battery performance to "not a disaster").

Of course we'd all like to get to fourth base, but maybe second first ;)

The two are around the same thing ... havent had time to try and find out what it is that is picking up this data connection (esp when taskiller shows nothing).

Re APNdroid on mine my wap settings are internet + MMS so I am bit concerned that it will stop me sending MMS from abroad (?). AFAIK it just changes the wap name (which would for me disable both as the 02 settings are joint). Anyway its crude but effective.

Is there any way of monitoring the volume of data going in and out of the phone? Maybe that might be a clue (ie is it tiny?).

Have been subscribed to your battery experiments thread ZeeToo - many thanks for taking the trouble to report your findings. I havent had a chance to do that precise test although my feeling based not on stopwatch but just keeping an eye on the battery is that background data on isnt ideal for battery [i left it in there as disabling stops picking up emails which is a large point of the device]. Today I am running from a full battery in full retro mode (no wifi/3G/sync/background data) and not even touching the phone (and as my number hasnt been switched over no txts or calls either) - trying to get some feel for retro-standby battery life [i have even started using taskiller to kill taskiller when i have done with it (there may be an exit menu but never looked :D)]

Anyway to cut a long story short if there is somewhere on the web where I can vote for "must haves" in 2.0 then please tell me and I will rush there and vote for proper power management profiles :D

Anyway I look forward to refinements of the basic algorithm ... my feel is though with current firmware we cant do much more than folks have been proposing (well other than turn the phone off :D (or eg when I am on the underground airplane mode as too slow to reboot)).

5. ZeeToo

ZeeToo Well-Known Member

Hi Hawklord,

Sorry, I hadn't meant to imply you didn't know, or that the instructions you posted were wrong (wish I'd seen it when I first got the phone, the info would have been very useful :) ) I was more interested to find out if you had checked it (and had some figures as they're easy to compare), just the results from my phone could easily be a bug with my system or something I've forgotten... I'm always after more information to understand what the phone's doing...

I've been trying to find out what data is going though the phone, but it seems that apps / chunks of code that work on other phones don't work on the i7500... If you get an answer I'd love to know :)

If you're up for writing an app you can create one that will shift the APN from MMS + net to just MMS and back - looks like all the APIs are present to do that...

If you could post any information you have on the battery from your retro experiments I'd be most grateful - having an actual target to shoot for is well worth it :)

ZeeToo.

6. Hawklord

Hi Zee

Now worries m8 - never thought you were ... I was just explaining my rationale for my random parameters I chose :D

So todays experiment (full retro as prior post) - phone on for 9.66hrs ... not used once, screen off, no calls, txts and i killed everything up front (there were a lot of things after being switched on?!) ...

... and the winners are

... battery at start ... 99

... battery at end ... 99 [messaging, togglesettings, settings had turned themselves on (settings i think because of me checking the battery (via shortcut))]

Awesome :cool: ... so full retro a de facto standby consumption of zero :cool:

Hope that helps and keep up the good work friend :)

H

ps Almost dont believe it!

7. pan

pan Active Member

Thanks very much for your post in the O2 forum - I found it extremely useful.