Newby - syncing facebook to certain contacts, and others?Support

Last Updated:

1. fancyshmancy

fancyshmancy New Member This Topic's Starter

Ok, sorry if this is a repeat thread, if it is, please point me in the right direction! I couldn't find what I am looking for.

So I just got my EVO yesterday. Tonight I was trying to manually sync *some* of my facebook friends with my contacts. It seemed to work for a short time, but then it added all of my fb friend's birthdays into my calendar. I went in and took them off. I definitely don't want all of my fb friends linked to my phone (calendar or contacts). I "uninstalled" fb sense, then "reinstalled" it, but now it won't find any of my friends to sync with. I tried to choose the regular fb (not sense version), but it wouldn't even let highlight it. What am I doing wrong, or what is going on? How do I only add certain profiles to my contacts? I am basically just interested in their profile pics and some birthdays.

My husband has the Hero, and doesn't have his fb linked at all because he had a lot of issues with it. Is this a buggy program, where I should not even worry about syncing friends to my contacts? Or has it changed, and runs smooth?

Also, when I go to add favorites to my contact list why does it come up with every single person I have ever emailed in my life? I don't have my gmail contacts synched, but I do have my gmail acct linked. Is there any way I can delete, or make it so those addresses not show up? I don't really need the email address of whoever I wrote to two years ago about lighting fixtures!

Thanks in advance for any help!

Advertisement
  2. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Well-Known Member

Ok...I don't necessarily think the app is buggy...it just doesn't work the way most of us want it to.

Though your answers have been covered before I don't know they are within one thread...spread out between multiples so I will do my best to walk you through it.

Birthdays synced to the calendar are all or none...I haven't found a way to pick and choose and it sounds like you have figured out how to turn that on and off. When you have a birthday in individual's contact information I assume it is shown on the calendar but I have not checked that.

Try these settings for your other needs
    open your app drawer and press on the people app.
    press menu.
    press view.
    uncheck show auto gmail contacts
    and uncheck facebook for htc sync.

on mine all that is checked here is google, as I don't save any contacts as only phone contacts. Also consider checking Show only contacts with phone numbers (though this will exclude facebook friends that do not have a phone number)

press the back arrow find a contact you want to sync and press on it. you will see their contact card. press menu and then link. press facebook, find the person in this list and press them... they will now be linked. Do this for each of them that you want to link...some of them will do it automatically ...but their name or phone number has to be exactly as it is on facebook or it won't recognize and do the auto link...which is fine, use the manual method I just listed

Now, lets say you do want to see that full list of facebook friends...from within people...click on the internet icon, click facebook....and there you will see a full list of facebook friends.

The issue......there are soooo many submenus and different ways that apps in the phone pull this info...so you will see the occasional app pull up both the internet contacts list and your phone contacts list....the same goes with the email addy's etc

the settings I listed are what I found to limit these situations and are what have worked best for me.