Newby to Android and rooting question.

Last Updated:

1. chrisbone123

chrisbone123 Member This Topic's Starter

I am a total newbie to all this stuff.

I just have a question.
    I want to to root my Evo just so I can tether and delete some of these sprint apps.
    I upgraded to Froyo already.

I looked at all the tutorials and I'm not sure which ones to follow , and I'm not sure if I need to follow the whole tutorial or not.

Can someone point me in the right direction.

Thanx in advance.

Advertisement
  2. philly0128

philly0128 Well-Known Member

since you're on froyo you have to follow this "root step by step" follow everything, except you can skip the unrevoked forever part if you don't understand it or don't want to do that part. then continue below. There's also a link for a video walk through, watch the videos 1st so you can see what you're about to do step by step.

Good luck.

chrisbone123 likes this.
  3. tsipa

tsipa Well-Known Member

I would recommend just doing simpleroot once you downgrade your phone. If you do unrevoked 3 then you should also do unrevoked forever to unlock nand.

4. uminchu

uminchu Well-Known Member

If your phone, for whatever reason, is unrooted on 2.2 (Froyo), then logically, you would want to use a 2.2 tutorial to root it. Basically, the gist of rooting 2.2 is to downgrade your phone back to 2.1 (Eclair), root it, unlock nand, make a backup, flash a 2.2 rooted ROM, and back it up again. As to whether or not to follow all the steps, it seems obvious to me: of course you want to follow all the steps. When in doubt, always choose patience and thoroughness over haste. In a step by step procedural guide, why would you want to skip any steps?

Be properly prepared. Read through the entire guide in advance. Print it out. Download all the files. Install or place them as guided. Know, in advance, *exactly* where the Android SDK is installed on your PC, and know where its SDK Tools folder is. Read the guide again, so it will be familiar to you. Place the printout in front of you with a pencil. Then just take your time and follow *all* the steps, slowly and carefully. Cut and paste any and all ADB commands. Check your steps off as you go. If something doesn't seem right, you'll know exactly where you are/were in the process, and can seek help with accurate info. It's not terribly hard, but it does require being patient and methodical.

I would also recommend doing it manually the first time. One click solutions are terrific tools, written by very clever devs, and may seem like the way to go. But IMO, they're for people who already know what they're doing, and understand the process (others may disagree, and that is certainly their prerogative, this is only my opinion). If you've never done it before, and something doesn't go right, you'll be lost, and the phone's response(s) will be completely foreign to you. Once you've done it manually, seen and navigated the screens, seen the difference between a shell cursor and a superuser cursor, observed successful feedback and/or error messages from the phone, only then can you know for certain if things have gone well, or where or when you might have hit a glitch. Learning takes time. I would advise you that advanced tools are for people that already have sufficient knowledge to use them properly, and the know how to improvise if needed. Learn it the hard way first, and save the brute force, one click tools for the next time (ie family member's, friend or neighbor's phone, etc). YMMV. Good luck.

magconpres and chrisbone123 like this.