• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Newest 2.1 OTA ROOT version released.

Just so you know, if you're talking about a nand or BART restore, and you did one from your 03 backup, then your ROM is now 0_3 again.

I hope you mean like MyBackup or something!

Oh I did not know that.. :( So I really do have to re download all my apps for each rom that I put on LOL here all this time thought I had grd's new 2.1ota and its still on 03 no wonder theres the log in bug.

BTW live wallpapeers = sweetness. Not sure If I like the nexus home screens though.. time will tell.

Ok just tried to put on the plasma wallpaper and the phone rebooted :( Maybe I should stick a newer rom on.

Upvote 0
Oh no! I tired installing the ota update to my 0.3 rom and now the white HTC screen has been stuck on for like 15 minutes. I copied the update zip to sd card. Wiped the Davlik cache and flashed the update. Was I supposed to wipe the factory data for the update as well? How do I fix?

Power off. Go to boot volume up power. wipe factory and dav, flash 03 and start all over :)

If ya have to pull the battery.

Upvote 0
Don't use Grdlock's update. He needs to fix it. Just use his full 2.1 flash.

Can you elberate a lil more on this please. Like what you mean his update? From his guide? Or something diff? Reason I ask is now I cant get USB drivers working after flashing to the latest ROM he listed on the guide and wondering if that might be the cause of it or not.

Upvote 0
Oh no! I tired installing the ota update to my 0.3 rom and now the white HTC screen has been stuck on for like 15 minutes. I copied the update zip to sd card. Wiped the Davlik cache and flashed the update. Was I supposed to wipe the factory data for the update as well? How do I fix?

Same here. On 0.3 rom. Tried ota-update.zip. Ended up stuck in a loop at the htc screen. Back to the latest nand for now. I really don't feel like setting up all of these apps again....

Upvote 0
Yeah, the original update that I put out had some issues.

With an official Verizon release like this, it's difficult to make an update for it, since you don't know exactly what files they changed, what they did. You need to include as much of the new version as you possibly can, while still holding onto any customizations you previously had on the phone. It's typically best to do a full reflash for a new release like this. eris21official-root.zip is a full flash.

I did make another update rom though. So far I've confirmed that it successfully worked for 3 people (I'm sure more have tried it but it just hasn't been reported to me). Download it here: Multiupload.com - upload your files to multiple file hosting sites!. To install it, place it on your sdcard, reboot into recovery, wipe your dalvik cache ONLY, then flash it. Be sure you have a nand backup though, because once again I can't promise this will work for everyone, but if you really don't want to do a full flash, it's at least worth giving a shot.

Upvote 0
Ok, I've decided an upgrade rom just isn't functional enough to release. I would have to tailor each update for that person's phone based on what they have installed and customized, and that just isn't feasible!

Sorry guys, but to update you'll just have to do a full reflash with eris21official-root.zip. This will probably be the case for any future MAJOR release involving new OS updates from Verizon.

Reactions: Murphy
Upvote 0
Ok, I've decided an upgrade rom just isn't functional enough to release. I would have to tailor each update for that person's phone based on what they have installed and customized, and that just isn't feasible!

Sorry guys, but to update you'll just have to do a full reflash with eris21official-root.zip. This will probably be the case for any future MAJOR release involving new OS updates from Verizon.

No worries. Thanks for the effort.

Off topic... where's a good place to learn what goes into creating a ROM to flash? I.e.: Is it really just add/deleting the .apk files desired? What is the structure of the phones OS; what does the fstab look like for the phone? What is the anatomy of a ROM zip file? Etc... Over the years, I've become pretty proficient at troubleshooting and correcting all of the uh-ohs on my linux boxes; trying to decide Eris ROM cooking is something I want to dive into and learn. Any suggested references?

Upvote 0
So just wondering, I dont know if I have actually read this right. If I already have the original 2.1 root installed on my phone, am I just able to put this onto my sdcard and go to this new ota root? I know we were asked to post questions somewhere else but that thread is closed :/ or will I have to do the whole recovery thing, like download the recovery.zip and do all that stuff with android sdk, Im sorry I just really dont have time to get into actually figureing it out, I have work and school out of my ass :/ just wondering if I could get some help. Am I able to just flash from holding vol down+power? then loading the new ota root with my 2.1 root already on it?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones