Newly Rooted HTC Hero....Evo being Repaired What's a good Rom to flash?

Last Updated:

1. KewlKat007

KewlKat007 Member This Topic's Starter

So my EVO was damaged..well the back-light does not come on anymore(I think due to moisture)..

I've tried RICE and other Drying technique...no fix So 'm gonna put in a claim.

Knowing I will probably not have a phone for a little bit, I bought a used Hero for a backup phone.(It will do for now, got it cheap)

It came with the latest .6 Patched rom....I downgraded to .5 and rooted it.

What's a good flash rom to try with 2.1 fixes...wifi and mostly everything working?

As most I wanted my phone a little bit faster/cleaner and more control(why I rooted). I still do like some HTC things but not all of it, can I install some of it back when I flash to a new Rom?

I'm sorta new to this and first time Rooting. I'm still not sure how you flash new Rom.....

Advertisement
  2. Heaterz16

Heaterz16 Well-Known Member

Check the All things Root (Sprint Hero) to clear things up a bit. Otherwise, you need to choose a Rom, download the zip file to your sd card, boot into recovery, then flash the zip file that inlcudes the Rom and reboot.

I recommend Fresh 2.3.3 to start with - great Rom, or if you want to get a little crazy, flash the new Froyo 2.2 Rom.

3. KewlKat007

KewlKat007 Member This Topic's Starter

Yeah I was looking at that Fresh Rom seems Newber Friendly...I suppose How can I stay updated on the latest versions of these roms?

I have been to the XDA site...but sorta new to this and it's sort alike my eyes bigger than my stomach feeling....but I need to start somewhere.

Any links to this fresh rom?

I need to get the hang of just flashing new roms...do's and don'ts...what do you hold to boot into recovery?

EDIT: Ok I found the link hopes this goes well. I guess I have to do a wipe.

4. Heaterz16

Heaterz16 Well-Known Member

Here is the link if you still need it: Download: Fresh Hero 2.3.3

Boot into recovery: power off phone, then hold home button key (keep holding), power phone off while still holding home button until recovery screen pops up (green writing)

Do's:

1. Always make a nandroid backup (do this from recovery, Nand Backup) before installing new ROM
    2. I always recommend Wiping (Factory Wipe, Wipe Dalvik Cache) - this isn't a necessity, but if you WIPE before installing a new ROM you are less likely to have issues (downside, have to re-setup everything on phone)
    3. Read and learn from other's mistakes

DON'T's:
    1. NEVER flash a ROM made for the GSM hero, only CDMA hero (Will brick your phone)
    2. If you feel the need to Flash a new Radio, make sure it is a Sprint, CDMA radio first

Hope that helps

KewlKat007 likes this.
  5. gratefldiver

gratefldiver Member

6. ccapasso

ccapasso Well-Known Member

If you were to do some searching in the Root section (which is where this post belongs) you would find lots of information on ROM's (including links that you are asking for). I would highly recommend reading up there :)

7. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice VIP Member

This.

Thread moved to root section. :)

8. ccapasso

ccapasso Well-Known Member

I'm sure gonna miss this place, (when I get my Evo or Epic) :p. Or well, at least this section. I'll have to be sure to come back and visit. Anyways, won't be for a while still (November/December I believe).

9. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice VIP Member

I'm still trying to decide what I'm going to get or if I'm just going to wait for something newer to come along. October is almost here. :p