• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

News app

russfink

Lurker
Mar 20, 2010
I recently upgraded from a Moto Droid 1 (the original) to a Moto Droid 4, and I love everything about the new system except the news reader.

On my Droid 1, there was a news and weather app. The news app pulled all the main sections from news.google.com and organized them by tabs: world, US, sports, health, and you could put in custom search terms, e.g., "costa concordia". Anything news.google.com had to offer, it would send it to this app.

On the Droid 4, the app asks you for various feeds, e.g., Washington Post, and you get whatever stories they send you, but they're all bundled in the "Washington Post" folder, all jumbled together.

This is a terrible change for me. I'm looking for something like I had on Droid 1.

In particular, I need the custom news search feature, "costa concordia," because I like to look by topic, not by news outlet. Going from Droid 1 to Droid 4, it's like they went from the Google model of "just return everything" to the old Yahoo model of "we hand pick stuff for you."

Can anyone recommend something? I tried NewsRob, but that's not what I want - I want stories matching a topic from multiple feed sources, rather than all stories pushed by a single feed source. (Also, how do I watch this thread for replies?) Thanks for your time - Russ

I recently upgraded from a Moto Droid 1 (the original) to a Moto Droid 4, and I love everything about the new system except the news reader.

On my Droid 1, there was a news and weather app. The news app pulled all the main sections from news.google.com and organized them by tabs: world, US, sports, health, and you could put in custom search terms, e.g., "costa concordia". Anything news.google.com had to offer, it would send it to this app.

On the Droid 4, the app asks you for various feeds, e.g., Washington Post, and you get whatever stories they send you, but they're all bundled in the "Washington Post" folder, all jumbled together.

This is a terrible change for me. I'm looking for something like I had on Droid 1.

In particular, I need the custom news search feature, "costa concordia," because I like to look by topic, not by news outlet. Going from Droid 1 to Droid 4, it's like they went from the Google model of "just return everything" to the old Yahoo model of "we hand pick stuff for you."

Can anyone recommend something? I tried NewsRob, but that's not what I want - I want stories matching a topic from multiple feed sources, rather than all stories pushed by a single feed source. (Also, how do I watch this thread for replies?) Thanks for your time - Russ
Bump, does anyone have any recommendations? Thanks - Russ

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones