News widget auto-update.

Last Updated:

1. wuthton

wuthton Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Has anybody managed to get the news widget to auto-update? Twitter is fine just the news widget.

Advertisement
  2. Lukehluke

Lukehluke Well-Known Member

I have not got it to auto update.

3. Proudest_Monkey

Proudest_Monkey Well-Known Member

If you go onto the widget, click on the menu button and select the settings option. I think it is default to manual sync. Just select the sync options and choose 30 mins etc.

Hope this helps.

Edit: By "onto the widget" press on the top bar of the news feed. It will take you to the news app and then do the rest.

4. byron_hinson

byron_hinson Well-Known Member

If only it would sync with google reader!

5. Case

Case Well-Known Member

What does it sync with? Do you enter RSS feeds or something?

6. Proudest_Monkey

RSS is an option, there are also some defaults you can choose from such as BBC

Case likes this.
  7. wuthton

Yes, I have tried that still no cigar. Has anybody actually had their widget auto-update, I haven't managed once.

I am back with FeedR at the moment which is a shame because it is a nice widget.

8. Proudest_Monkey

I had some problems with my mail and twitter syncing. Apparently with android, if you change something, you need to switch the phone off and remove the battery then start it all up again. It fixed my problem so try that.

9. wuthton

Thank-you for the suggestions but I am more interested in if it is a common problem. I am not exactly new to Android phones, this is my third.

Has anybody had an auto-update of the widget. I.E. downloading new feeds without opening the app?

10. wuthton

Right, after three days messing about with the news widget I have come to the conclusion that it is total crap.

It has updated once, once only despite being set for 30 mins for 3 days.

11. vx41uk

vx41uk Member

Seems like this is a problem with the application as more of us discovering this problem, thought htc had ironed out all the glitches most annoying its nice when all the bells and whistles work, whats weird is a friend of mine has same htc handset and his weather app updates reular as clockwork also lives short distance away othe than that its wicked phone :D just shame sum one ie developers cant sort this out!!!!!! ps have good easter all off you..

12. sluma

sluma Member

13. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

14. wuthton

For those that don't know you can manually update with a short press on where the last update time is displayed at the bottom of the widget.

From when I got up this morning my news widget updated every hour as it should, it then stopped mid-afternoon for no apparent reason.

15. omnifish

omnifish New Member

I got my Desire last week, and so far I don't see any of the apps or widgets auto-refreshing, apart from the Google sync stuff.

My news reader doesn't update. My friend stream doesn't update. My facebook app doesn't update.

Am I doing something wrong, or is something very broken?

16. Paradroid

Paradroid New Member

Are you using ATK? I found that my news widget stopped updating, even after manually forcing it to as you describe. I had started using Advanced Task Killer and was routinely killing everything after startup, just to save battery. I think that killing "news" also stopped the widget from sync-ing. Excluding "news" from ATK seems to work for me.

17. Nodders

Nodders Well-Known Member

Got a Desire a few days ago and also suffering the same problem with the News widget (no custom ROM in sight). which is a shame as it is a nice looking widget, but effectively useless.

18. Spaceprobe

Spaceprobe Well-Known Member

Had my desire HD for two weeks, the HTC news widget stopped updating on the 18th. Cleared all the data and now not able to put new stuff on. Given up and trying the Android news widget (which I think I prefer), so far no problems. Have written to HTC but judging by all the complaints on various sites not expecting to get anywhere