• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Nexbook Next3 - - Ever heard of it??

heybubb

Lurker
Dec 15, 2010
My wife saw a Nextbook Next 3 Android Tablet offered on HSN for $200.

We are trying to make a quick decision if this is a quality product/tablet or not. We want to get a tablet for our 8 year old, but don't want it to be junk. Looking to use as e-reader, play movies and games mostly. Wi-Fi connection is plenty.

Has anyone heard of this company? Do you have any opinions?

Thanks

We are trying to make a quick decision if this is a quality product/tablet or not. We want to get a tablet for our 8 year old, but don't want it to be junk. Looking to use as e-reader, play movies and games mostly. Wi-Fi connection is plenty.

Thanks

There's so many tablets coming out from companies that are unheard of, that finding reviews from users are hard to come by. I would suggest to check out the specs and try to find reviews for similiar tablets. More than likely you'll find that its a rebranded tablet of another tablet.

Upvote 0

Thanks

Seems underpowered to me for the money based on the Only specs I can find

FCC takes a gander at Nextbook Next3 ebook reader | Da Gadget

Probably fine as an Ebook Reader... minimal tablet... for not much more ($249) you could grab an B&N Nook Color locally with Far better specs... or for about the same money there was a China supplier I just checked for someone here with the Freescale A8 or PS-PV219 for under $200... and both those are Faster A8 procs, with 512MB ram... Better specs all around...

Upvote 0
There's so many tablets coming out from companies that are unheard of, that finding reviews from users are hard to come by. I would suggest to check out the specs and try to find reviews for similiar tablets. More than likely you'll find that its a rebranded tablet of another tablet.

I have both the nextbook2 & 3

Good display on both - Nextbook2 only supports version 1.5 and works ok as an ebook reader.

I just received the nextbook3 from HSN - much larger display - wifi works, accessing most areas seems to be "fast". This hardware supports Android is 2.1.

Because it's only wifi - I have not been able to do much more than charge it up and play with some of the interfaces at work. For book reading it seems quite fast.

I am not sure if the Nook is better - I have not tried that hardware.

Brad

Upvote 0
Thanks all...

We ordered a couple for the kids for Christmas, and I am VERY dissappointed in these. If the main use is as an e-reader, I guess it would be sufficient, but I found the processor to be super slow, and we could not get items in the Nextbook version of the Market to install. Angry Birds is listed, and would download, but would not install. I kept getting a memory error, though I had a brand new SD card installed.

The device is very sluggish, and the internet was even slow. These are going back!! Too many problems out of box for my tastes.

Upvote 0
As of right now, 8 Feb., 2011, the only Android tablet in the US with the Android (Google Official) Market is the Samsung Galaxy Tab. Why? Because Google only allows devices with phone capabilities to download from the market. Even if you point your tablet browser to the new official web market (market.android.com), you will not be able to download to your device, (I am not talking to a rooted device. This is for people that do not know or care to tinker with their tablet).
The reason that Samsung can is that in Europe the Galaxy Tab operates also as a phone, a capability that they disabled in the U.S. But still allows the Tab access to the Market. This is for all te people asking and complaining that their Android tablets do not have the market. Do not blame the maker of the tablet, blame Google if you want to blame someone! That is why there are sites outside the Market that allow you to download Apps, like the Cruz Market, AndAppMarket, Android freeware, etc. They don't have all the apps, but at least you can get a lot of them. And no, Angry Birds will not run on your tablet even though you will be able to download it from some site.
Now, consider the price you pay for a generic color tablet, at the most $199, with some as low as $99, compare that to the Galaxy Tab, which yes, is a lot better, but will cost you$499 with a phone contract or $699 without. Add the monthly phone fee for the 3G (which you will use, maybe, 10% of your time) and you will pay over $1,000.00 for the Tab in two years. Does that help you decide?
Also, you could buy an Apple Ipad from Apple, refurbished, wifi only, 16GB for $429.00 and no contract. Let's face it, the Ipad is gorgeous but still pricey at $429. That, to me, is a better deal than the Samsung. I have no problems buying an Apple like some of the Android supporters do. I try to get the best deal around for my money.
Now, let's talk about the Nexbook Next3. I received a Pandigital Novel as a gift for Christmas. Works great for what it is, a nice reader, a place to check email, the web, play some music, videos, etc. Most of the things that people want a tablet for, but it is not, and you should never say the two words together, an Ipad, neither is a Galaxy Tab. Just look at the prices. The Novel works fine for me, no problems. It has a 7 inch resistive screen. I started looking for something a little bigger, I thought that my prefered size would be between 8 to 9 inches. The Ipad is 9.7 and the Tab is 7 inches.
Then I came across the Nexbook Next3 by accident while reading an ad for he Next2. Here I am reading about the Next3, with an 8.4 inch screen, still a resisitive one, but with everything else I needed, at the size I thought was perfect for reading, emailing, and the web on the go. The thing is not easy to get. Most sellers are out, and the one that still have them have prices all over the place. When I bought mine prices were from a low of $151 to a high of $299. So search for the best prices online to get a good deal. I bought mine for $151 and I have had it for about two weeks, running 24 hours a day (always do that with electronics. It's like your own personal burn-in period), so far no problems. The screen froze on me once and I used a pin to reset it and all back to working again.
You hear a lot about dead Next3. Especially for people posting in the December time frame. I don't know, but it could be that they fixed that bug. Mine is working fine. Many people post the wrong specs for this thing. The screen is 800x600 not 800x480, which is not that bad for an 8.4 inch device. Would I prefer a higher resolution? Of course, but I have opted to pay around $150 so that is what you get and get over it!
The display looks good, it is bright, I love the size, it comes with some basic apps that will get you running right away, web browser, email, file explorer, etc. Some people have complained about this tablet (and the Pandigital also) having problems connecting to their wifi, I haven't. Both of mine connect right away and very smooth. The Next3 comes with the Borders reading app, but you can download the Kindle and the Nook reading apps for more buying choices. The Next3 is the easiest tablet I have used for transferring files from your external SD card to your internal memory.
I am getting about 5 to 6 hours of web browsing, playing games, etc. Around 8 just reading and with the wifi off.
Overall, anybody that want to buy a bigger (8.4 vs. 7) tablet to do basic things, the Next3 is a great buy if you find it below $200. Just remember, first of all, all these things are "readers", so read the manuals inside and out and you will learn a lot before you start asking questions that are answered in the manuals. I am a Windows PC owner. This is not Windows, so there is a little learning curve. Do not expect computer type of power out of these tablets. You want computer , buy one!
Lastly, do no compare these cheap (price) tablets with others costing three times as much. What do you drive a Kia or a BMW? See what I mean!
The Next3 comes with a very nice leather looking cover included. It has a tiny stylus that I find myself using all the time. With resistive screens, a stylus is very handy, and with it you do not get the screen full of finger marks. Oh yes, I have read so-called reviewers of different tablets complaint about how dirty they get with fingerprints, what the heck do they expect? We all have oils in our fingers and it will transfer to the tablet, so once in a while you have to clean it if you care that much. Even my wife Ipad has to be cleaned almost daily. Anything you use with your fingers will get dirty, so profesional reviewers, that should not even be a topic in any review.
Enjoy your Next3, you will have fun with it and the size is just right. It is not the fastest, neither is the slowest, but a nice little tablet that you can carry with you easily on your travels and while you wait time.

Reactions: DBY
Upvote 0
Thanks all...

We ordered a couple for the kids for Christmas, and I am VERY dissappointed in these. If the main use is as an e-reader, I guess it would be sufficient, but I found the processor to be super slow, and we could not get items in the Nextbook version of the Market to install. Angry Birds is listed, and would download, but would not install. I kept getting a memory error, though I had a brand new SD card installed.

The device is very sluggish, and the internet was even slow. These are going back!! Too many problems out of box for my tastes.

Unfortunately, the problem is there are many different manufacturers of these products and a public that simply thinks a twenty five dollar tablet is a great deal. I recently found a 10 inch Android tablet selling for 42.00 in quantities of 5 units.

I expect the sudden urge to own a tablet will result in many unhappy people buying the cheapest units they can find.

Bob Maxey

Upvote 0
My wife bought 2 of them from HSN. One of the Nextbook 3 we have not had a minutes of trouble with. The other has been sent back 3 times. The company is good and they stand behind their product. They paid for us to ship the Nextbook back all three times. Has not cost us a cent except to take it to FedEx to ship it. There are conditions. You have to registry it on line and send them your sales receipt, when you get on their web site it will tell you what to do.

Thanks

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones