General Next phone?

Discussion in 'What Device Should I Buy?' started by jaackla, Sep 27, 2016.

1. jaackla

jaackla Member

Jul 17, 2012
    Okay I've always used Samsung phones for as long as I can remember but the past year I have been using an iPhone 6S I want to come back to android but I don't know what to go for, obviously I'm going to use my iPhone as a trade for what ever phone i decide it's just I don't know what's a good android phone to go for atm and I no I can't swap my phone for an s7, any suggestions would be good and if you could give some info of what's good about it would be great thanks everyone

Advertisement
  2. Hadron

Hadron VIP Member
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    It's a little simpler if you tell us what your preferences or requirements are. For example, I'm not interested in phablets, so if I were asking the question it would be a waste of time suggesting 5.5" or 5.7" devices. But that may be precisely what you do want, in which case it's a waste of time people suggesting smaller things. So what else might be important?Removable storage, removable battery, sound quality, camera, software support, rootable or ...? And do you have any extra constraints, such as "must be available with Verizon" (which restricts things a lot)?

If you could tell us why the S7 isn't an option that might help with suggesting something that is.

3. jaackla

jaackla Member

Jul 17, 2012
    I'm in England so i don't need Verizon but the reason i cant get the S7 is because the price of a brand new or used S7 is worth more than a used 6S so a trade wouldn't happen unless i added some money which i can't do at the moment, And i don't mind the size of the phone i do like my big phones and all the other features i don't mind, i like a good camera but I'm just looking for the best Android phone i could get at around the same price as a 2nd hand 6s, so I'm looking at 2nd hand android devices, I've only ever used Samsung phones so i have no clue about the other phones out there and was looking for some knowledge. I have been looking at the Nexus 6P and the oneplus 3 and HTC 10, but i just have no idea what to go for or if any of them are the right choice.

4. Hadron

Hadron VIP Member
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    Right, so that's our first criterion: cost limited to trade-in price of the 6s. Actually I don't know what that is, but if it rules out the S7 it probably rules out other recent flagships (because being recent there won't be many second-hand examples around).

The HTC 10 is the only one of those that I'm somewhat familiar with, and the only one with expandable storage, but it is a recent flagship. There's an offer on if you buy it direct from HTC, but that still leaves the price at £470 - I don't know what the resale price of an iPhone 6s is, but I'd have guessed less than that. I like it myself: my wife has one and it's solidly built, responsive, and like the Samsung's it has capacitative buttons rather than on-screen (leaving more screen space for you). The user interface differs a bit from a Samsung, but Samsung software is different from any other Android so you'll get that with any other brand.

The 6P has been out for almost a year, but as a Nexus you can still expect a long software support lifetime. People who own them do seem to like them. Only the 32GB silver version is still in stock at the Play Store (the next Google phone is due very soon, so stock of both the 5X and 6P is being run down), no idea what the second-hand prices are like. As storage is not expandable you should make sure you buy one with enough space for your needs. The 5X would be a cheaper option, but the largest capacity 5X only has 32GB (too little for me these days, your requirements may differ). If you can afford it and like large phones the 6P would be better.

The One+ 3 will be cheaper, but I don't know much about it.

If you like Samsung and are not worried about expandable storage then last year's S6 and Note 5 would also be options to consider. Or even the Note 4 (which has replaceable battery and expandable storage, but is of course older).

Sony's seem to be popular in the UK at the moment, and the previous generation (Z5) would give expandable storage as well as waterproofing. I've no personal experience of them.

5. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    Coincidentally I was just reading some comments about the Oneplus3 today in this thread. Our longtime member @ironass and stalwart Galaxy user has many good things to say about it. That carries a lot of weight with me.

El Presidente, Hadron and mikedt like this.
  6. jaackla

jaackla Member

Jul 17, 2012
    what one would you say comes close to the 6s? i want to go back to android but i dont want an android phone thats worse/slower than the iphone

7. mikedt

mikedt 你好
    Guide

Sep 22, 2010
    Teachaaa
    Jinan, China
    I concur actually. It's certainly as good if not better than an iPhone. Amazon UK sells it, so you're not having to ship it from Hong Kong any more.

EDIT:

I've just read in News, apparently the OP3 is going to be available from O2 as well, provided you take out a contract with them.

...your Guide to Chinese Androids, who uses a Samsung Note 7 :thumbsupdroid:

#7 mikedt, Sep 27, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
    JAy3001 and lunatic59 like this.
  8. skelms

skelms Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Male
    Japan
    I would recommend the xperia z5, waterproof and SD card were the main selling points for me. Performance is great, I read an article stating that Sony has the most stable android with the least amount of crashes of all the big android phone companies.
    The one plus is probably cheaper and bit better on specs like more RAM, I was considering getting it as well, but no SD card. Another positive of one plus if you're coming from an iphone, is that one plus phones have a ring-vibrate-silent rocker(switch) almost the same as the iphone.

Another plus for sony phone is if you have PS4 you can connect PS4 controllers via bluetooth to use for gaming on your sony xperia phone, and you can stream games from the PS4 to the z5 (but not sure why you'd want to with a 5 inch screen, but maybe the bigger screen phone)