Nexus 1 and tmobiles hspa

Last Updated:

1. Dendore

Dendore Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

When and if t mobile brings hspa to my neighborhood... what kind of speeds should i expect. I don't think the n1 is 4g compatible or whatever. Is it? And if not, will it make any difference at all? Basically wondering if my phone will just go as fast as it can, or if it'll be suck at the same slow speed. During t mobiles upgrades of their towers, does this bring hope of faster 3g speeds, or am I expected to buy a new phone.

Advertisement
  2. ap3604

ap3604 Well-Known Member

If you mean HSPA+ then the Nexus One doesn't have the same radio to pick up the full frequency. If you want the 4g type speeds of 7.2 mbps - theoretical 21 mbps then the G2 will do it for you (granted you living in a HSPA+ area). I live in southern california and currently get around 3.5 mbps download and 1.5 upload on my Nexus One w/ T-mobile which is more than enough.

3. tardman91

tardman91 Well-Known Member

I thought that I read somewhere that the HSPA+ also benefits regular 3G phones with better download speeds.
    Either way, my friend just got a new G2 and while I was with him the other day I had both of our phones run the speed test app and I had a faster download speed all 3 of the times I tried it. My phone was on 3G and his displayed the H for HSPA.

4. JP Money

JP Money Member

The N-1 will benefit from it but the newer phones will be better equipped to take advantage of it. I have the "H" here in the Tampa Bay Area.

5. tardman91

tardman91 Well-Known Member

You have the H on your Nexus One in the Tampa Area? Are you running a custom ROM? Because I'm in the Tampa Area and I've never seen an H on my phone.

6. JP Money

JP Money Member

Cyanogen 6 but even on stock 2.2 I had it. I am usually in Brandon/Tampa and get it consistently. It's a nice little bump in speed.:)

7. koolbon

koolbon Active Member

I get around 4.5-4.7 / 1.3-1.4 mbps in So Cal although I don't get that everywhere.

8. rubi76

rubi76 Well-Known Member

The H from Cyanogen 6 means you are getting high speeds (as high as the phone could get) but your Nexus One will still not benefit from 4g speeds/T-mo software update.
    Cyanogen doesn't 'unleash' new speeds, it just shows where 3g speeds are maximized.

For 4g speeds, check out the new Mytouch 4g which is the first phone that could compare to our N1 in my opinion...

9. chimphappyhour

chimphappyhour Well-Known Member

You may or may not see a bump up in speed, depends on what you were getting before. I live in a HSPA+ area and my speeds are all over the place. Sometimes I see below 1mbps, sometimes it jumps up around 4mbps but usually it is around 1.6mbps.... which is what it was before it was turned on here. :S