• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Nexus 11 as Surface Pro competitor?

amagab

Nov 22, 2012
I don't know much about Nexus 11 yet as I've only read loose rumors on the interwebs. However, I'm wishing that Google is taking it to more serious computing - that Nexus 11 will be a Surface Pro competitor.

I have seriously considered getting a Surface Pro as it can be used both as a tablet for entertainment as well as a laptop replacement for more serious "work" computing.

I'm hoping I can skip the Surface Pro and get a Nexus 11 to meet those needs.

Anyone else share those thoughts?

Nexus devices are definitely spot on. I currently have a wifi only 32GB nexus 7 which is wonderful and am anticipating a purchase of a nexus 5. I was not aware that an updated model of the nexus 10 was also imminent. If it lives up to the current nexus model which google has established it is sure to knock the surface pro out of the park.

Upvote 0
No they won't be Surface Pro competitors, basically due to the limitations of the ARM architecture in CPU. Basically, the Nexus 11 will be an upgrade to the Nexus 10, but never will it be able to match the capabilities of a Surface Pro in serious productivity. Programs like Publisher, Corel Draw, desktop grade Photoshop, Lightroom, Illustrator and movie editing are all possible on Surface Pro or its HP/Toshiba/MSI/Dell counterparts, but not on Android.

Upvote 0
Android/iOS alternatives to their PC counterparts don't fully exist. They barely scratch the surface of the capabilities. I understand it depends on a particular person's needs, but even the netbook version of Photoshop lite has lightyears more capability than the best photo editing/creating software on both Android and iOS. So no, its not a true competitor. At best, its a cheaper alternative for those who do not need all the power and capability a Surface Pro gives.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones