• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Nexus 4 and 7 chargers - interchangeable?

As the title suggests I am wondering if there is any reason why the chargers for my Nexus 4 and 7 are not interchangeable. The cables appear identical and both chargers output 5v. The only difference is the charger for the 7 is rated 2 amps while that for the 4 is rated 1.5.

Of course, the manuals warn not to use any but the supplied charger and cable, but they would do that to protect themselves regardless. I assume that if I plug the tablet into the phone's charger it might take a little longer to recharge, but that's the only difference I can see.

Am I missing anything?

- Jim

My electrical theory is not the best, but I assume the amp rating is the max available and the device will draw what it needs. Same as I can plug a 1 watt night light into a 20 amp circuit as long as the voltage rating is the same. Or ?

Cowshill is correct. You could use a 3 amp output charger but the device will only take what it needs. I always use my highest amp charger for all my devices and have never had any issues.

Reactions: Cowshill
Upvote 0
The phone/tablet limits the amount of amperage needed.
So the charger's ability of amperage could be bigger than the phone's/tablet's needing, but should not less.

Quality chargers are protected against overload if a phone/tablet would demand more amperage than the charger would be able to supply.
Neverless, it would be a stress situation for the charger.

Harry

Reactions: El Presidente
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones