• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Nexus 4 battery

horrocksy

Lurker
May 15, 2014
I was on my nexus 4 this afternoon and I had 30% battery I then noticed the battery started to drop rapidly and a new app appear on the battery usage list called shell is this a problem?(the phone also shot up to 48 centigrade)

Attachments

• 1400180274211.jpg
    1400180274211.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 67
I was on my nexus 4 this afternoon and I had 30% battery I then noticed the battery started to drop rapidly and a new app appear on the battery usage list called shell is this a problem?(the phone also shot up to 48 centigrade)

"Shell" is a command line application, hard to tell exactly what is causing the issue with out GSAM/BBS installed and gathering info.

It may or may not have been related to the battery being low but it looks like it was holding the wake lock pretty hard. 48C (118F) is kind of high, but not in the dangerous realm yet, something was pulling a lot of current off the battery.

Reactions: horrocksy
Upvote 0
The shell operation was not showing on my battery usage screen at about 40% charge but then the battery dropped 10% in less than a minute and it appeared on the list for battery usage. A few miles later (I was on a bus) the battery had dropped a further 20% and I took a screen shot at 10% and shell was the most power intensive programme. 2 minutes later I ran out of power completely
. To summarise it used about 80% of the battery life from when it first showed up on the list. This often happens when I'm connected to 3g if that helps.

Upvote 0
Had you been using a PC connection with ADB (or some application that uses ADB)?

I ask because I once had this same issue after aborting a "Nexus Root Toolkit" session because of a PC crash; it left shell running on the N4 (presumably trying to connect) which killed the battery very quickly. I restarted the phone and everything went back to normal.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones