1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

Nexus 4 has LTE?!?!General

1. strausd

strausd Well-Known Member

Could this just be a typo? You can view the full size image and clearly see the model number. And iFixit links to a page about that chip. What is going on???

Nexus 4 Teardown - Page 3 - iFixit

Attached Files:

Advertisement
    :
  2. alfick3

alfick3 Well-Known Member

Every thing written says no LTE; even Google says no LTE. It's a miss-type.
  3. strausd

4. JunBringer

JunBringer Well-Known Member

Maybe for Christmas they'll turn on our LTE!
  5. strausd

Maybe this is why battery life has been so bad lately? LTE chip accidentally left on but not really using it?
  6. JunBringer

I doubt they would sneak it in there, and if they did then that blog would've made a BFD about it. Typo.
  7. strausd

Then how do you explain the perfectly matching model numbers with a Qualcomm LTE chip?
  8. JunBringer

I don't. I wait for someone smarter than me to explain it lol.
  9. alfick3

It could very well be that that picture isn't really a Nexus 4? I don't know and can't say for sure since I don't have one. Even if I did, I wouldn't open it up to see the board, so that's all I can say. I just know that Google has said that this current Nexus doesn't have LTE.
  10. strausd

iFixit is a very reputable website and they wouldn't post something completely false like that. A typo is possible, but showing pictures of a different phone in a nexus 4 tear down won't happen. Yes, google did say that, but google also said my phone would ship by yesterday ;)
  11. Banished Angel

Banished Angel Well-Known Member

I just don't see the business strategy in that. Deny the phone has LTE for 2012 and then come 2013, hey guys, we lied, our phone is awesome! We just turned on LTE.. Keep dreaming.
  12. alfick3

Ok. I don't know anything about ifixit, and don't really look at that site, so I don't know how reputable they are. I certainly didn't mean any disrespect to you either.
  13. OverByter

OverByter Resident Slide Rule Guru

It's a pentaband transceiver that supports the AWS band 4 , but not LTE band 17 (Verizon) or band 13 (AT&T) so we can forget LTE support on the phone. The AWS band is used in the USA by T-Mobile.
    EarlyMon likes this.
  14. strausd

I will dream :D

Oh no worries man!

I am starting to think more and more that the phone does in fact come with an LTE capable chip. But maybe LTE itself is disabled but the phone is benefit from some other features from the chip that we are not aware of?
  15. acp

acp Well-Known Member

Sigh dormant chip
  16. strausd

17. OverByter

Again the transceiver supports 5 bands but none of them are LTE bands in this country. The only semi LTE band usable in the USA is used for T-Mobiles AWS.
  18. strausd

19. acp

acp Well-Known Member

I don't like that it has this rogue useless chip, it's kind like going to the doctor and finding out you have an extra liver that you can't use, which would be great for excessive drinking.
  20. JunBringer

It's very mysterious. I'm eager to hear how Google explains this.

Also btw strausd: You were right and I was totally wrong. My bad dude.
  21. OverByter

There is really no mystery, this particular transceiver supports the frequencies that the majority of GSM carriers deploy, this eliminated the need for multiple SKU's and software images for different carriers. At this time with spectrum fragmentation there is no such thing as an unlocked LTE device, at this time it requires different hardware and software for different carrier's LTE connectivity which would necessitate carrier specific SKU'S making the device more expensive because of the loss of economies of scale. Unfortunately unlocked and LTE are mutually exclusive at this point in time.
    Edit : See this, http://mobile.theverge.com/2012/10/29/3569688/why-nexus-4-does-not-have-4g-lte
  22. breadnatty08

breadnatty08 pain rustique VIP Member

I think I agree that it's a holdover from the Optimus G which has LTE. Perhaps similar to the fact that my Chromebook has a SIM slot but since it's not the 3G model, it's worthless.
  23. breadnatty08

breadnatty08 pain rustique VIP Member

24. Justinlara313

Justinlara313 Well-Known Member

You can enable to it work on the aws band by typing *#*#4636#*#* into the dialer and selecting lte in options. Pointless right now, but maybe useful on T-Mobile someday.