1. Welcome to the newer, better version of Android Forums! Be sure to see the announcement and enjoy checking it out!

Some of you have been having login issues. - Please try now. Sorry for the trouble!
  2. All attachments uploaded on the first day of this new look need to be re-uploaded, or will appear broken. All prior to that, and all going forward, should work fine. We apologize for the inconvenience!

General Nexus 4 in Singapore - Will it work?

1. diisti

diisti New Member

Hi, I'm looking at getting a Nexus 4 on Straight Talk, but will be leaving to study abroad in Singapore for 6 months. :)

I've done a little research and have found that Singtel, StarHub and MoblieOne (M1) are the three prepaid companies in Singapore.

My question is, will my Nexus 4, purchased in the United States, work in Singapore with a sim card from one of these prepaid mobile companies? :confused:

Additionally, if you happen to know, can someone tell me which prepaid company would be best for someone looking for unlimited call, text and data to the United States while also being use the phone when traveling outside of Singapore, i.e. travelling to Malaysia and Thailand on the weekends.

Thanks for your help! :D

Advertisement
  2. Skyroket

Skyroket Well-Known Member

i don't see why not.
  3. andrews317

andrews317 Well-Known Member

As long as they use GSM technology (which I'm almost sure they do because I believe CDMA is only used in the US) there should be no problem. The phone is unlocked and supports worldwide frequencies. I use it in Honduras with no problem.
  4. SiempreTuna

SiempreTuna Well-Known Member

You should be fine as all 3 networks are GSM - or were when I lived there. Given everywhere else in Asia - apart from Japan - was also GSM, I can't see them having changed.

Don't know if they still have the same, rather unusual charging model: both the caller and the recipient paid 20 cents (13p / 16 US cents) a minute - I imagine it's cheaper now.

You might want to turn roaming off by default as if you're near a coast (and Sing is small so you often are) you'll often find yourself on Indonesian (in the east) or Malaysian (in the north) carriers and be hit with roaming charges.

On the upside, you can use your phone on the MRT (underground / subway) :)

I'm sure you'll enjoy Singapore - friendly people, great food and super modern - in many ways, coming back to Europe or the US will seem like stepping back into the dark ages. Only problem I have is it's just too darn hot.