Nexus 4 rebootingSupport

Last Updated:

1. MartinS

MartinS Well-Known Member

Is no one else experiencing what seem to be random reboots?

It could be a rogue/incompatible app I guess...

I guess I'm on 1 reboot most days now.

Advertisement
  2. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum Moderator

I haven't seen that.

Does it reboot while you're using it? Or is it just reset when you pick it up?
  3. MartinS

Most times when I'm using it, once it was frozen when I switched the screen on then rebooted.
  4. Bob Loblaw1

Bob Loblaw1 Well-Known Member

None after 4 days of fairly heavy use
  5. lunatic59

Using any custom launchers? I haven't had a one.
  6. annebrooks64

annebrooks64 Well-Known Member

It may also be a JB 4.2 issue and not the phone. I've seen posts elsewhere about this on the nexus 4 and the nexus7. Also since updating to 4.2 my nexus 7 does it occasionally where it never did before.
  7. Rusty

Rusty Well-Known Member

Almost at four days uptime, so no I don't get random reboots.
  8. chrlswltrs

chrlswltrs Well-Known Member

Had mine for about 1 1/2 weeks on 4.2 and not a single reboot. I'm thinking it has to be an app causing it. Probably something that is running in the background which is why you haven't noticed what is causing it.
  9. MartinS

Yeah, I downloaded all of my apps for JB when I switched the phone on - then updated to 4.2.

I guess that's the problem with an incompatible one somewhere.
  10. HyperM3

HyperM3 Well-Known Member

Ive had 3 reboots(shut downs?) so far since Tuesday when I got the phone. I am running GoLauncher so maybe thats it? I have found a few apps so far that dont play well with 4.2.

Doesnt really bother me at this point in time. 2 of the three times it happened when I was sleeping and it was 2 of the first times I actually slept through the night without being woken up by my phone.
  11. lunatic59

I would suspect Go Launcher right now, too. I haven't installed another launcher yet just for that reason. I'll be looking at Apex shortly.
  12. chrlswltrs

I've been running Nova for 1 1/2 weeks since the day I got the phone and it works great.
  13. lunatic59

I got used to Apex from the SuperNexus JB rom I was using on my S2.
  14. chrlswltrs

I've been using Nova since it was released on my GSII with CM10 ROM. Both great launchers
    lunatic59 likes this.
  15. MartinS

This seems to be getting worse.

I looked down at my N4 last night and the screen came on, no notifications and then in to a reboot without touching anything.

This morning, unlock screen becomes unresponsive and then a reboot.

"Funny" thing is, the reboots used to start right at the X animation - now it seems to be a full reboot which starts at "Google".

No one else?
  16. suprmallet

suprmallet Well-Known Member

Have you looked at the app processes to see what's running, and then try removing apps one at a time to see if you still get the reboots?
  17. MartinS

No, that's too much like hard work!
  18. lunatic59

If it's an app that's causing the problem, then I'd say a factory reset and running the phone stock fit a few days to see if it continues.
  19. MartinS

Yeah, I may have to...
  20. sean76

sean76 Well-Known Member

Avoid the heartache and do a factory reset and start from scratch. Most likely an app running amuck and causing some Havoc!
  21. dcIam

dcIam New Member

I have a Nexus 4 and 7. Both randomly reboot while being used and while untouched. Both are running the stock launcher.

The Nexus 7 was stable until 4.2.

The Nexus 4 has completely shut itself down a few times, which sucks way more than a reboot.

Maybe I'll try the hard reset tomorrow on the Nexus 4.
  22. MartinS

I haven't had a reboot since 4.2.1. A coincidence I'm sure, probably just an app which has been updated for compatibility.

My N7 has been fine since 4.2.
  23. HyperM3

HyperM3 Well-Known Member

Since I installed AOKP ROM and still running my GoLauncher I havent had one single reboot.