1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

Nexus 4- Together we can start a Revolution

Will you still buy a Nexus 4 knowing it lacks an SD Card slot?

Poll closed Dec 16, 2013.
  1. Yes, I love Google too much!

44.0%
  2. No way, I'd rather have an SD Card Slot on my phone.

40.0%
  3. Maybe, but Im not sure if I want it without an sd card slot.

20.0%
  1. DanDaMan1200

DanDaMan1200 Member

Someone please start a page of all the people WHO WILL NOT BUY A NEXUS 4 BECAUSE IT LACKS 1 thing, AN SD CARD SLOT. TOGETHER we can START a REVOLUTION. If google gets ENOUGH COMPLAINTS They should consider adding it back. 1-855-836-3987 GOOGLE's # Call and complain.

Advertisement
    :
  2. Omar Days

Omar Days Well-Known Member

good luck with that, let me know how it goes
  3. DanDaMan1200

DanDaMan1200 Member

Well thanks, the idea is to make google see, not everyone has unlimited data...you are eventually capped on your "unlimited data plan" Why use the data streaming from the cloud when you can just play it from your phone? It doesnt take a genius to save things onto an sd card, you format it and bam your good to go.
  4. Omar Days

Omar Days Well-Known Member

lol i was being sarcastic, but, i do agree with everything you say.

basically, and it's been said a thousand times here, google want you to use their cloud services whether you like it or not.

they'll sell enough devices to not care about online petitions and what not though.
  5. javasirc

javasirc Well-Known Member

I've learned I don't need an SD slot. I don't have enough media to fill out up. The sole reason I'm not buying the nexus 4 is the lack of LTE. And I am seriously ready for a new phone.
  6. mikedt

mikedt 你好 Guide

No, I won't be buying Nexus 4 because it's not available here.
  7. chrlswltrs

chrlswltrs Well-Known Member

I'm getting mine this week. I really don't care about an SD. I had a Nexus S, and then a GSII and I never put an SD in my GSII. I did see a whole lot of problems with SD cards on the GSII, and have no desire to deal with that. I'm glad the Nexus phones don't have SD cards.

Can't wait for the Nexus 4!
  8. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor Guide

What for? It was never meant for the masses anyway. Nexus devices were always meant to be as a developer playground. It's designed to hardware specifications that will behave the best way, and that's without the complication of an SD card.
  9. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate! Moderator

I doubt Google will listen unfortunately, but good luck! :)

I semi agree, the storage options are limiting, 16GB & 32GB would be much better options. LTE isn't a massive issue because it'll be at least a year before I get that in my area anyway.

However, if it has OTG support, that will make the lack of an SD Card sort of moot.
  10. zuben el genub

zuben el genub Well-Known Member

I want to check how rooting goes. I don't care about Google's services - besides Mail and Play they have nothing I'd use. I'm really reading and researching now since I'm worried my used Nexus S might be headed for problems. I don't want a panic situation when I can read and review first. I could use a phone that opened certain apps much faster, plus the better camera.
  11. Stuntman

Stuntman Well-Known Member

I need more than 16GB. If the N4 has a 32GB option, then I would consider it. Any phone with less than 32GB or the ability to get there (SD card) is a deal breaker for me.
  12. Crashdamage

Crashdamage Well-Known Member

We will never, ever see another Nexus device with a SD card for several good, legitimate reasons. Everyone needs to accept that, deal with it or buy non-Nexus devices that do have a SD slot.
  13. Gmash

Gmash Well-Known Member

I want an SD card slot AND removable battery, the battery being the bigger deal to me. It seems like the Nexus phones are getting more and more iPhone-ish each time. Doesn't this one even have a glass back? Why are the things everybody criticizes when Apple does them suddenly become okay when Google does them? Sorry, I'm not a fanboy for anybody. And I'm not sure you can still consider the Nexus devices as just for developers anymore. With their aggressive pricing they seem to be going after the mainstream market now.
    B2L likes this.
  14. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate! Moderator

I probably don't need more than 16GB (it would actually be 12GB after you take into consideration formatting and the fact the 16GB is the total amount of memory on the device), but I'd like the option of having the extra space if needed.

It's all very well saying you can store stuff on the cloud etc, but I only have a 2GB data plan (we're a way behind you guys when it comes to data allowances) so cloud storage and lack of WiFi access points sort of negates that option.
  15. ExtremeNerd

ExtremeNerd Well-Known Member

It already sold out in the US and Europe. Try the play store. People don't care. If you don't like it, don't buy it. Others love the $300 off contract price.
  16. Gmash

Gmash Well-Known Member

No doubt it is a good deal for the money.
  17. Shocky

Shocky Well-Known Member

As much as I want to support Google with their devices I just can't anymore.

I'm strugglng with the Nexus 7 as it is, constantly removing applications to make way for new ones.

It's annoying.
  18. Hadron

Hadron Well-Known Member Contributor

I agree that with rhat pricing they obviously want to push this out widely rather than keep it as a dev device. And I'd be in the queue but for the storage.

But don't read too much into "sold out in 30 minutes" (as happened in the UK) unless you know how large the stock was - it could be deliberately low in order to generate "sold out quickly" stories and keep the buzz going (wouldn't be the first time someone's done that).
    iowabowtech and El Presidente like this.
  19. ExtremeNerd

There are easy ways to check this. Wait until the quarterly financial statements are released. Numbers don't lie.

Either way, people want this phone. Most of us users don't need 64gb internal and 64gb SD card storage. $300 is more important.
  20. Davdi

Davdi Well-Known Member Contributor

I'd ALWAYS want the option of SD card storage. I use 2 Android phones- Rooted WFS with WC3 ROM and 16Gb SD card for music, photos etc(and calls as the Sony just won't make calls in a few locations despite showing a strong signal. Maybe Virgin UK runs out of capacity in some places at some times) and Xperia U mainly as a phone. If I had to choose one of them it'd be the WFS as it's O/C to 806MHz and quicker in use than the iGHz dual-core Sony.
  21. Lennatron

Lennatron Well-Known Member

The bigger issue for me is the lack of 4G. Just about every smartphone released now as 4G, but Google's flaghsip doesn't. Like are you kidding me Google? When I first read it on Phandroid I thought the author misunderstood something because Google would never do something retrogress like that but sadly they did :(
  22. gibbs1984

gibbs1984 Well-Known Member

I'm not worried about an SD Card anymore to be honest but only if the storage is enough.

16gb is nowhere near enough, I'm struggling with 32gb when I thought that would be enough.

I don't like Cloud services really so having the storage available is vital for me.
  23. ExtremeNerd

Look at the mess that is the Verizon Galaxy "Nexus." Until LTE is an open standard, Google will likely not use it in their direct offerings. (I would bet there will be an exact replica though only for Verizon, but NOT a Google experience phone.)

Also, it is HSPA+ capable. In my area, T-Mobile gets 11-12M down, which is as good if not better than Verizon.

Gotta look at the big picture.
  24. Gmash

Gmash Well-Known Member

I agree that Hspa+ is good enough, and isn't as draining on batteries. Carriers should have stuck with that IMO.
  25. Crashdamage

Crashdamage Well-Known Member

I'm in no hurry to see LTE service. HSPA+ is pretty fast and easier on batteries, but there's other reasons carriers want to go to LTE. In VZW and Sprint's case it's got a lot to do with needing badly to get rid of friggin' CDMA. For T-Mobile and AT&T it has largely to do with maximizing usage of their available bandwidth.