• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Nexus 4 watering hole

Hello everyone, I'm new here.

I've been a mobile phone enthusiast for years, even before the "smartphone" category evolved. BlackBerry's, Blackjacks, you name it.

Had a Galaxy S (Captivate on AT&T) when first released, and despite the bugs I had a lot of fun and enjoyment with that model. It was my first Android and I enjoyed it more than any of my smartphones to date.

Next up, I decided to try an iPhone, just because I have both PC's and Macs. Had the iPhone 3 GS, then the iPhone 4. Both of these were fine, but a bit boring, not to mention the tiny 3.5" display which is my biggest complaint. I will be so happy to have a modern large display like the 4.7" on the Nexus 4.

Now... I'm so disgusted with Apple's outrageous behavior, the law suits and bully tactics, that I can't get rid of my Apple stuff fast enough... LOL. And that's coming from a guy that is a true tech guy, not a fanboi, but a true enthusiast. Working in a cross platform PC & Mac engineering environment, I was very platform neutral until Apple became the menace they've become today.

I've been following the Nexus 4 news and I'm _very_ excited.

It's the first smartphone that has everything I want, and nothing I don't... an amazing thought.

The lack of LTE doesn't bother me in the least, as HSPA+ on AT&T will do quite nicely. I like absolutely everything about this phone.

That said I do have one question, I came across an article regarding build quality concerns with the LG Nexus 7. Something about tape being used to hold some components in place and concerns of the long term ramifications.

Anyone have some thoughts and feedback on this?

Please see the link below.

Thanks in Advance :)

Nexus 4 Battery Shot Reveals Potential Quality Issues

Upvote 0

I've been a mobile phone enthusiast for years, even before the "smartphone" category evolved. BlackBerry's, Blackjacks, you name it.

Had a Galaxy S (Captivate on AT&T) when first released, and despite the bugs I had a lot of fun and enjoyment with that model. It was my first Android and I enjoyed it more than any of my smartphones to date.

Next up, I decided to try an iPhone, just because I have both PC's and Macs. Had the iPhone 3 GS, then the iPhone 4. Both of these were fine, but a bit boring, not to mention the tiny 3.5" display which is my biggest complaint. I will be so happy to have a modern large display like the 4.7" on the Nexus 4.

Now... I'm so disgusted with Apple's outrageous behavior, the law suits and bully tactics, that I can't get rid of my Apple stuff fast enough... LOL. And that's coming from a guy that is a true tech guy, not a fanboi, but a true enthusiast. Working in a cross platform PC & Mac engineering environment, I was very platform neutral until Apple became the menace they've become today.

It's the first smartphone that has everything I want, and nothing I don't... an amazing thought.

The lack of LTE doesn't bother me in the least, as HSPA+ on AT&T will do quite nicely. I like absolutely everything about this phone.

That said I do have one question, I came across an article regarding build quality concerns with the LG Nexus 7. Something about tape being used to hold some components in place and concerns of the long term ramifications.

Reactions: androidpod
Upvote 0
Wow. That is awful. O2 are always expensive but that's astonishing.

Yeah they are! The world is moving on but O2 seems to be stuck somewhere a decade back!

I am seriously considering GiffGaff...their 12 quid deal looks good! Here are the details if you are interested.

OTOH, if you have another option that you may know about, do tell!

Upvote 0
I'll not worried about that link...its like spending $100,000 on a porche,..and asking yourself will I need a oil change/brakes turned(cut) or replaced in the future of owning the porche...the phone is built for what its supposed to which is talk browsing ect...and eventually it'll be worn out with cracked screens, dust filled headphone port, beat to sh*t battery from constant charging to watch that awesome 2hr movie, and being dropped a few dozen times...maintenance/replacement is required on anything...my point is nothing last forever if its overused/abused from its original intended need...even though a porche is a track car,but people still drive them like P****'s

Android +1
Points well taken.

Frankly I like this phone so much (and I'm picky) that I find myself very eager to get my hands on it.

One of the _many_ features of Android I really like is the variety of keyboards one can install.

l found SWYPE a really great choice on my Galaxy S, hoping to find something similar for the Nexus 4.

Any suggestions?

Upvote 0
Hi all, thought I'd introduce myself...

I am new to the forum and have been reading all the Nexus 4 threads with interest over the last couple of days.

I've been an iPhone user since the 3G and I've been pretty happy with them - I do like to think i've been pragmatic on the strengths and weaknesses of all the phones I meet including Apple's shiny slabs.

I have decided to move to Android and I really like the look of the Nexus 4, not least for being vanilla OS.

So i'll be lurking in here quite a lot :)

Michael

ps, although I still get lost in android, I did buy my sons nook tablets from the US, rooted them and got them up and running with Google play, etc, so i'm a bit up from noob.

Welcome to the forums dude! I came from iPhone as well and ended up becoming a huge enthusiast here.

Upvote 0
Yeah they are! The world is moving on but O2 seems to be stuck somewhere a decade back!

I am seriously considering GiffGaff...their 12 quid deal looks good! Here are the details if you are interested.

OTOH, if you have another option that you may know about, do tell!

Funny that, GiffGaff is owned by Telefonica, the same company that owns O2.

If you're not bothered about minutes, I'd go to Three's

Upvote 0
Welcome to the new members, I think this phone is going to bring a lot of pele to Android, as it should!

I just got me schedule today, and I have to work starting release day through next week sometime. I can't wait to get the phone.

As soon as I get it here is my steps: unbox, unlock bootloader, root, SIM unlock (I'm on contract and due for an upgrade with Tmobile), then become addicted :D

Upvote 0

Upvote 0
Oh...wow! Thanks. This is helpful. I will certainly check it out. Not really concerned about the texts, but 200-400 minutes is what I would need - unless I am traveling a lot (unlikely at the moment) and the key is unlimited data. Btw, I am assuming that I can tether this data to a tab via the mobile AP settings in the phone right or is that a problem?

Edit: I checked out and compared both - GiffGaff and Three and both are horrible in terms of allowing tethering. Giffgaff allows limited tethering and Three has that One Plan which also allows tethering, but again, it is limited! What to do? I really don't want to get into a contract.

Tethering in Android is generally undetectable unless the reasons in the first answer of this Does a carrier know I am tethering via Wifi Hotspot? - Android Enthusiasts

To hide tethering see here http://www.androidauthority.com/tether-android-phone-computer-pc-mac-avoid-detection-44243/

Also Three has a

Upvote 0
Strongly considering the Nexus 4 and dumping Virgin Mobile USA and going for T-Mobile's prepaid 30/month plan. I love VM, I really do, but I want a Nexus device and 4G in my area.

I have to go over the hill to San Jose to get 4G, and I only do that when I'm flying out of SJC. So maybe enough 4G to get a few webpages and 4sq checkins in. Yay... I guess.

Only things I need to figure out though:
-HSPA speeds
-If I can port my #
-Minute overage rates
-How well this phone is.

I like that it's a Nexus device, but I don't see LG as reputable around the US as a high end smartphone maker. They've made decent lower end Smartphones, but I've never seen them take on the higher end market. I heard battery life wasn't too good either and it's of course non replaceable. :|

Oh well, I have a solar panel plus battery USB charger. I guess I have to carry that around with me. That's fine for such a nice looking and reasonably priced device.

Upvote 0
(Just don't tell my wife)

:laugh:

Anyways, to the OP, don't sweat, the thread is fine. ;)

Some threads are slow at first. Besides, it doesn't matter if it goes huge or not, just as long as we have a place to stay on topic.

Looks like the coverage is nice with T-Mobile. Well, now to sell my EVO and get the key to the playground!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones