Nexus 4 watering hole

Last Updated:

1. adi19956

adi19956 Well-Known Member

Wow. That is awful. O2 are always expensive but that's astonishing.

Advertisement
  2. androidpod

androidpod Well-Known Member Contributor

Hello everyone, I'm new here.

I've been a mobile phone enthusiast for years, even before the "smartphone" category evolved. BlackBerry's, Blackjacks, you name it.

Had a Galaxy S (Captivate on AT&T) when first released, and despite the bugs I had a lot of fun and enjoyment with that model. It was my first Android and I enjoyed it more than any of my smartphones to date.

Next up, I decided to try an iPhone, just because I have both PC's and Macs. Had the iPhone 3 GS, then the iPhone 4. Both of these were fine, but a bit boring, not to mention the tiny 3.5" display which is my biggest complaint. I will be so happy to have a modern large display like the 4.7" on the Nexus 4.

Now... I'm so disgusted with Apple's outrageous behavior, the law suits and bully tactics, that I can't get rid of my Apple stuff fast enough... LOL. And that's coming from a guy that is a true tech guy, not a fanboi, but a true enthusiast. Working in a cross platform PC & Mac engineering environment, I was very platform neutral until Apple became the menace they've become today.

I've been following the Nexus 4 news and I'm _very_ excited.

It's the first smartphone that has everything I want, and nothing I don't... an amazing thought.

The lack of LTE doesn't bother me in the least, as HSPA+ on AT&T will do quite nicely. I like absolutely everything about this phone.

That said I do have one question, I came across an article regarding build quality concerns with the LG Nexus 7. Something about tape being used to hold some components in place and concerns of the long term ramifications.

Anyone have some thoughts and feedback on this?

Please see the link below.

Thanks in Advance :)

Nexus 4 Battery Shot Reveals Potential Quality Issues
  3. MT Rotor

MT Rotor Guest

androidpod likes this.
  4. Liamo_210

Liamo_210 Well-Known Member

Ill be buying it in england but using it in ireland i think this should be ok the phone should function properly shouldnt it ?
  5. kristalsoldier

kristalsoldier Well-Known Member

Yeah they are! The world is moving on but O2 seems to be stuck somewhere a decade back!

I am seriously considering GiffGaff...their 12 quid deal looks good! Here are the details if you are interested.

OTOH, if you have another option that you may know about, do tell!
  6. androidpod

androidpod Well-Known Member Contributor

Points well taken.

Frankly I like this phone so much (and I'm picky) that I find myself very eager to get my hands on it.

One of the _many_ features of Android I really like is the variety of keyboards one can install.

l found SWYPE a really great choice on my Galaxy S, hoping to find something similar for the Nexus 4.

Any suggestions?
  7. Banished Angel

Banished Angel Well-Known Member

The default keyboard in Android 4.2 added Swype functionality. It works just like Swype out of the box. If you dislike it you can always install Sywpe, Swiftkey, or any other keyboard of your liking.
  8. JunBringer

JunBringer Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forums dude! I came from iPhone as well and ended up becoming a huge enthusiast here.
  9. adi19956

Funny that, GiffGaff is owned by Telefonica, the same company that owns O2.

If you're not bothered about minutes, I'd go to Three's
  10. kristalsoldier

11. chrlswltrs

chrlswltrs Well-Known Member

Welcome to the new members, I think this phone is going to bring a lot of pele to Android, as it should!

I just got me schedule today, and I have to work starting release day through next week sometime. I can't wait to get the phone.

As soon as I get it here is my steps: unbox, unlock bootloader, root, SIM unlock (I'm on contract and due for an upgrade with Tmobile), then become addicted :D
  12. strausd

strausd Well-Known Member

13. adi19956

Tethering in Android is generally undetectable unless the reasons in the first answer of this Does a carrier know I am tethering via Wifi Hotspot? - Android Enthusiasts

To hide tethering see here http://www.androidauthority.com/tether-android-phone-computer-pc-mac-avoid-detection-44243/

Also Three has a
  14. kristalsoldier

15. Liamo_210

looks like i was right it wont be popular just because LG are making it. Is anyone going to get it.
  16. joshua8790

joshua8790 Well-Known Member

Strongly considering the Nexus 4 and dumping Virgin Mobile USA and going for T-Mobile's prepaid 30/month plan. I love VM, I really do, but I want a Nexus device and 4G in my area.

I have to go over the hill to San Jose to get 4G, and I only do that when I'm flying out of SJC. So maybe enough 4G to get a few webpages and 4sq checkins in. Yay... I guess.

Only things I need to figure out though:
    -HSPA speeds
    -If I can port my #
    -Minute overage rates
    -How well this phone is.

I like that it's a Nexus device, but I don't see LG as reputable around the US as a high end smartphone maker. They've made decent lower end Smartphones, but I've never seen them take on the higher end market. I heard battery life wasn't too good either and it's of course non replaceable. :|

Oh well, I have a solar panel plus battery USB charger. I guess I have to carry that around with me. That's fine for such a nice looking and reasonably priced device.
  17. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum Moderator

I'm 99.44% sure I'm getting one. I don't see any reason not to. :D

(Just don't tell my wife)
  18. joshua8790

joshua8790 Well-Known Member

:laugh:

Anyways, to the OP, don't sweat, the thread is fine. ;)

Some threads are slow at first. Besides, it doesn't matter if it goes huge or not, just as long as we have a place to stay on topic.

Looks like the coverage is nice with T-Mobile. Well, now to sell my EVO and get the key to the playground!
  19. Liamo_210

Im not getting it till the start of December as it will save me 200 euro if I get it in England over Ireland.
    And mate what the wife don't no won't hurt her ey mate
    lunatic59 likes this.
  20. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum Moderator

fify. ;)
  21. Liamo_210

I think its best for everyone if they don't no just make sure if she finds out you have a present waiting or else you'll be in trouble
  22. Liamo_210

I'm off for the night. Glad to see there are people who like the thread. I'll be back tomorrow don't wait up
  23. Jceinc

Jceinc Well-Known Member

My note 2 is going on ebay lol
  24. killxswitch

killxswitch Well-Known Member

I've been waiting for a new GNex to sell for cheap on ebay to change my mind about getting the N4 but so far they are still going for like $275+. Crazy. Can't wait for the N4. I wish they would've allowed pre-order but whatever.
  25. Farru503

Farru503 Well-Known Member

I can't wait!! I hope we could pre order tomorrow!