Nexus 5 AT&T compatabilitySupport

1. WizardMonkey

WizardMonkey New Member

Hi all,

Do you know if Nexus 5 is 100% compatible with AT&T. I know a lot of articles state that Nexus 5 will work with AT&T, but that is not saying that it will work with all of the AT&T frequencies (ex: Voice and Data (2G, 3G, 4G (HSPA and HSPA+), & 4G LTE).

going thru https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/#inbox/14213d9b713c65ce it looks like Nexus 5 is not compatible with AT&T HSPA network.

Here is a frequencey comparision by one of the Google group posters (credit to Chad Tulp)

"4G LTE-
    Looks like AT&T uses LTE bands 4/17/29/30
    The Nexus 5 can use any of these 1/2/4/5/17/19/25/26/41
    So a Nexus 5 on AT&T can use bands 4 and 17 for LTE

3G-
    AT&T uses UMTS bands 2/5
    (UMTS uses wideband code division multiple access (W-CDMA))
    The Nexus 5 can use any of these WCDMA bands 1/2/4/5/6/8/19
    So a nexus 5 on At&T can use bands 2 and 5 for 3G"

Here is another post (credit to Darren Harper):

"I've looked at the AT&T frequencies (AT&T Mobility - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) and it looks like the GSM and most LTE frequencies will work. The only problems I see are with the 3G HSPA+ protocols and the new LTE 30 band, which isn't listed as supported by the Nexus 5. If you don't have full 4G LTE coverage where you are, I would wait for official confirmation."

Any ideas suggestions etc., Thanks.

Advertisement
  2. indianajonze

indianajonze Well-Known Member

im not sure what the problem is here. it supports all of their current lte networks (not most as you stated but ALL. LTE30 band is not yet in deployment). It supports their current hspa21mbps+ 3g network, which they run on bands 2 and 5. what's the issue? its fully compatible with att's current network...
    WizardMonkey likes this.
  3. WizardMonkey

WizardMonkey New Member

What about LTE band 29?

Also, do bands 2 and 5 support voice and 2G?

Thanks again for your input
  4. indianajonze

indianajonze Well-Known Member

LTE 29 is not active. 2 and 5 support voice and im actually not sure of the 2G support. in short though, rest easy knowing that N5 supports the identical bandwidth of the LG G2 (+ much more), and that phone is fully deployed by ATT and is 100% compatible with their network
  5. hemplacrosse4

hemplacrosse4 Well-Known Member

I currently have a rooted Galaxy S3 with hotspot. Do you guys think I will still have to root the nexus to have hotspot on At&t?
  6. superflybribri

superflybribri Well-Known Member

My Nexus 5 is being delivered on Monday. I will be in the AT&T store same day and have it activated. I will let you know if I have any problems.
  7. jhawkkw

jhawkkw Chinchillin' Moderator

The Nexus won't have any software blocking you from activating hotspot. However that doesn't mean that AT&T may not look at packet transfers or use other detection methods like user agent tests like T-Mobile does.
  8. hemplacrosse4

hemplacrosse4 Well-Known Member

Thank you for your response sir, I have a unlimited plan so hopefully I'm good. I have been using the hotspot on my rooted S3 for months haven't gotten any warnings yet, so hopefully all is good!
  9. Tarzanman

Tarzanman Active Member

The phone won't have software blocking tethering, but AT&T can (and will) block it from their end. Even T-Mobile does this.

One of the methods they use is to do packet inspection and check the user-agent to see if you are visiting sites with a desktop browser.

Do not plan on tethering working for very long
  10. zipred

zipred Well-Known Member

I use both, AT&T charges extra for tethering, T-Mobile has restructured services, I'm allowed 2.5 GB tethering at no extra charge and I use it monthly.

Along with network improvements offering speed that matches my AT&T account I'm very happy with T-Mobile :)
  11. scoutconnor

scoutconnor Member

For mild use every so often it should be okay. Especially if it is being tethered to a tablet, then packet inspection is going to reveal that you are using a tablet which may be allowed.