• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Nexus 5 Easy Rooting Guide Using CF-Auto-Root

This is a more descriptive (newbie friendly) guide, but it will essentially be using the methods as posted by Chainfire and described here: [Nexus 5] CF-Auto-Root - xda-developers

Warning: Unlocking the boot loader on your Nexus 5 will factory reset it and wipe all of your data on it. Please back up any data you want to save. There are various methods you can use to do this, but this thread is meant to be a short and sweet guide on how to optionally root your Nexus 5, so these methods won't be covered here. Also, this is entirely a use-at-your-own-risk procedure. However, this method has worked well for me and countless others, so it should be relatively low risk.

This guide will be aimed more at users of Windows PCs (Windows 7 is what I used to do this), though similar methods using other OSs are available. For those, visit the link above.

Also, please read this guide in its entirety so you know what all is entailed before you start the process.

Updated Notes:

See post #9 in this thread for an Android 5.0 (Lollipop) FYI. But basically, if you're using the newest version of CF-Auto-Root, you should be fine. If you're coming from KitKat and doing an OTA (a Google prompted "over the air") update to Lollipop, I recommend doing a factory reset of your Nexus 5 (which will wipe its data) after installing Lollipop, and then running the newest version of CF-Auto-Root after that, if you can. People have noticed some bugs which this seems to resolve. This way you're also starting from a relatively clean slate to work with. Of course, back up your data as needed first.

See post #16 for the new inability to upgrade to newer Android versions from Android 5.0 from a rooted Nexus 5 and ways around this by flashing a new factory image, as needed. (One sidestep backwards by Google to annoy us.)

1:

First you will need to download the Google USB driver for the Nexus 5 and the CF-Auto-Root tool kit. These are ZIP files and will need to be extracted to use them. (When referencing the names of these extracted ZIP files later in this guide, I will be assuming you chose to name the folders they were extracted to by their default names.)

Driver Download Page: Google USB Driver | Android Developers

CF-Auto-Root Download Page: CF-Root Download (Also, feel free to help support Chainfire and the great work that he does making these rooting tools and apps. He also has a Pro version of the SuperSU app for sale on the Google Play Store that you can optionally upgrade to. SuperSU will be installed on your Nexus 5 during this process, and is used to manage root privileges once you're up and running.)

2:

Turn off your Nexus 5 then boot it in fastboot mode. To boot in fastboot mode hold down the volume down button and power button at the same time. It should boot up with a screen displaying our green Android friend lying down on his back with his service panel open.

3:

When logged into Windows, connect your Nexus 5 in fastboot mode up to one of your computer's USB ports using its charging/data cable. Windows will try and install drivers for the Nexus 5, but will be unable to find any by default. Go into your Windows Device Manager in the Control Panel and find the device without drivers successfully installed. It will likely be listed as Android in Other Devices and have an exclamation mark in a yellow triangle on it. Right mouse click on this then click on Update Driver Software. Choose to browse your computer for driver software and direct it to the latest_usb_driver_windows folder where you extracted the driver software from Google. Also make sure that the check box Include subfolders... is checked. After it installs, it may erroneously list the Nexus 5 as being a Samsung device. That is alright however, as it shouldn't affect functionality.

4:

Navigate to the CF-Auto-Root-hammerhead-hammerhead-nexus5 folder you extracted. Open this and then run root-windows.bat. When running, this should unlock the boot loader on your Nexus 5, root it, and install the SuperSU app. You'll know it's working if you see your Nexus 5 displaying various messages as well as showing a red Android figure. Wait for this process to finish and your Nexus 5 should boot back up, rooted and ready to go.

5:

Enjoy your rooted Nexus 5!

Last edited:
1:

First you will need to download the Google USB driver for the Nexus 5 and the CF-Auto-Root tool kit. These are ZIP files and will need to be extracted to use them. (When referencing the names of these extracted ZIP files later in this guide, I will be assuming you chose to name the folders they were extracted to by their default names.)

Driver Download Page: Google USB Driver | Android Developers

CF-Auto-Root Download Page: CF-Root Download (Also, feel free to help support Chainfire and the great work that he does making these rooting tools and apps. He also has a Pro version of the SuperSU app for sale on the Google Play Store that you can optionally upgrade to. SuperSU will be installed on your Nexus 5 during this process, and is used to manage root privileges once you're up and running.)

This is the part I didn't know to do from the other guide. THanks!!

Upvote 0
Nice write up. Very straight forward abd simple. I also like the fact this is more automated style because I am horrible with command line stuff. Ty for your time explaining this and the links.

Coming from an s3 I use philz recovery

Once this method is done for the n5 what do you use for flashing roms, does philz recovery work on the n5?
Again please use automated as I am not really good with command lines.

Upvote 0
If you like automated, you might also want to check out WUG's Nexus Root Toolkit. It not only automates unlock and root, it also automates, flashing factory image, unroot and relock.

Nexus Root Toolkit v1.8.7 | WugFresh

Many folks here use TWRP recovery. Don't know Phil's, so can't answer.

Wow awesome. I'll check wugs out.

So if I'm reading this right, wugs will:
-unlocks + roots the phone
-it also un-roots + re-locks the bootloader + re-flashes the stock image again
ie: it would be like I got it factory from the store and I could take it in for repairs?

Please correct me if I'm wrong I just want to make sure.

Upvote 0
Android 5.0 FYI:

Root wasn't saved for me on my Nexus 5s after I ran the OTA updates on them for Android 5.0 Lollipop, so I ran the copy I had still of the CF-Auto-Root tool for the Nexus 5. This took care of unlocking the boot loader and installing SuperSU. However, once booted up into Android, I was unable to use SuperSU to govern root access privileges.

So long story short: If you find you're having this issue, you will need to download and run the newest version of CF-Auto-Root for the Nexus 5.

A full list of versions of this tool for different devices can be found here: http://autoroot.chainfire.eu/ (The Nexus 5 is listed relatively near the bottom of this page.) Fortunately, Chainfire updated the version linked to above in my post. So that should work fine as well.

Upvote 0
Not the best at this so here is what I got, Restored back to stock, unroot and running 5.0 using WUG's. Used CF AutoROOT to return to root, had TWRP installed and SuperSU installed and phone is running perfect. Problem I have is that when I try to boot into recovery either with TWRP or hold down bottom combo all I get is the Android guy on his back with the red explanation thing about him. I have to do a simulation battery pull to get the phone up and running again. Any ideas on what I missed?

Upvote 0
Android 5.0.1+ Update Warning/Notification:

(Also see the following two posts after this one for some updated install information and alternative options provided courtesy of members Hook and argedion.)

Just a fair warning that you will now no longer (apparently) be able to get OTA (over the air) updates on rooted devices, as the update process has additional checks against this. (For shame.)

So, you will either be stuck on the current version of Android that you are on, running a third party version, or flashing a factory image of Android on your Nexus 5.

This, in my opinion, just helps to break the user experience into what Google wants it to be for you, instead of what you want, by limiting your options. A sad day indeed, as the main reason I choose to use Android devices to begin with is the ability to use them how I see fit. This ability isn't gone now, it is just hidden and squandered away where the sun doesn't shine.

Flashing a factory image in order to upgrade to a newer version of stock Android isn't all that difficult, though it does require a higher level of technical prowess, and many more downloads and steps in the processes, unfortunately.

Since I don't want to leave any of you hanging, I will do my best at describing this process for you.

Again, since we are going to be flashing a new image (AKA installing a new ROM) on your Nexus 5, make sure you have everything backed up elsewhere first, as this process will wipe all the custom data from your device to a "factor reset" state. (Personally, I use a Google Drive account for backing up my pictures, etc. and just reinstall any app. data as needed from Google Play, etc.)

First, you will need to download the new Android Studio, found here: http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html

After that, you will need to run through the full instillation process, including downloading and installing the Java Developer Kit found here: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jdk8-downloads-2133151.html (Choose the type appropriate to your OS in the top listings after checking off that you accept the license agreement)

You will then need to download the newest factory image for your Nexus 5 from here: https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images Also, you will then likely need to extract this file, and extract this file's extracted file into a folder using a tool such as 7 Zip, found here: http://www.7-zip.org/

After all this, you will need to enable developer options by repeatedly tapping on your "Build number" under Settings, About phone. After enabling developer options, will need to go back (up one menu) into Settings and then Developer options. Make sure USB debugging is selected from these menu options.

Next, connect your Nexus 5 to your computer. It may load previous drivers as it connects your device. To ensure you have compatible drivers installed, go into your Windows device manager and choose to uninstall drivers for your Nexus 5 (even if they are erroneously labeled as being different Android device driver types, such as Samsung Android device drivers.)

After uninstalling the old drivers, and removing the old drivers from your computer, launch the Android Studio and make sure that it is completely up to date. You will then want to copy the folder contents of the extracted factory image folder from where you extracted it to C:\Users\[Your User Name]\AppData\Local\Android\sdk\platform-tools. Next, restart your computer and log into Windows, then connect your Nexus 5 while in USB debug mode. It should show up in your Windows Device manager as Other, Nexus 5, and have a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark in it on it. Right-mouse click on this and choose to brows your computer for drives for this device and brows to: C:\Users\[Your User Name]\AppData\Local\Android\sdk\extras\google\usb_driver

After this, confirm your computer can "see" your Nexus 5 by holding down shift and right-mouse-clicking in the folder: C:\Users\[Your User Name]\AppData\Local\Android\sdk\platform-tools with it open in Windows Explorer, then select "Open command window here" and at the command prompt, type "adb devices" and hit enter. It should then list your connected Android device as a device that is connected (that is, if it doesn't list anything, then you know it isn't working and you will have to go through the process of uninstalling and reinstalling drivers for your Nexus 5 again, using the methods described above). If it lists a device as unauthorized, you must then select to allow and trust the computer you're connected to from your Nexus 5 when prompted. After this, enter the command "adb devices" again to make sure that the commands are allowed to be connected and pushed to your Nexus 5.

Next type in "adb reboot bootloader" from the command propt to restart your Nexus 5 in fastboot mode. Next, to unlock the bootloader (and erase any custom data) type in from the command prompt: "fastboot oem unlock" Next, to flash the factory image, from the command prompt, type in: "flash-all" This should go through flashing the new image/ROM to your Nexus 5.

(Please note that any quotation marks are to be omitted from command prompt entries, and are only used here to signify the quoted text to be used.)

Last edited:
Reactions: argedion and Hook
Upvote 0
Great write up :)

Would it not just be easier to install our Mini SDK and then just get the factory image and then fastboot it? I understand some Window's user will need to make sure they have the appropriate drivers installed but It seems to me to be way overkill to install a complete development environment to simply flash a ROM.

Also note many Linux distro's have android tools (adb and fastboot) in their repositories.

Reactions: Wrend
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones