• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Nexus 5 on CDMA Network

just have it on metros GSM network, i dont think your current plan changes (someone correct me)

and what you order was the GSM version, the CDMA version will be sold by sprint at their store/site i believe

If you buy it from the play store, it'll already be ready for Sprints CDMA network, right our of the box.

Reactions: iamsirlurkalot
Upvote 0
There's no specific GSM plan you'll just have to switch to the current price plans if you get a GSM phone. The current plans have been around since 1/10/13 but it's only switching to a GSM that you've been forced onto them.

So no keeping my grandfathered $40 plan? I got this plan when the Galaxy Indulge first came out

Upvote 0
Will the Nexus 5 work on the MetroPCS CDMA network? I just ordered the phone and wanted to see if it will work on CDMA and not have to switch from my current plan.

It could be, but it's totally illegal, and it will not work at its full potential in terms of data.

It's like buying a corvette with a lawnmower motor, sure it looks pretty, but damn is it slow.

Upvote 0
but is verizon's LTE like metro'cs CDMA/LTE where the UICC card and IMEI have to be tied?

Not necessarily, people have been able to switch sim cards amongst devices and have them activate just fine. In fact, switching an already active one is currently the only way to activate the LTE Nexus 7 tablet on Verizon because they are still refusing to activate it on new sim cards.

Upvote 0
Not necessarily, people have been able to switch sim cards amongst devices and have them activate just fine. In fact, switching an already active one is currently the only way to activate the LTE Nexus 7 tablet on Verizon because they are still refusing to activate it on new sim cards.

gotcha, I guess everyone's set-up is different then

Upvote 0

I think that only works on Lte data. The Lte is tied to sim card but calls and 3g data still goes through cdma. On cdma, subscriber identity is link to handset esn/imei and needs to be registered first.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones