• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Nexus 5 on CDMA Network

I want to do this as I am currently on their (actually T-Mobile's) GSM network and there coverage is TERRIBLE near Lansing, MI .
When I signed up I went by the coverage map on the Metro PCS website, which is actually only for their cdma users, which had great coverage in my area with LTE to boot.

There GSM users wont have access to their infrastructure until they decommission there cdma portion of their network.

Upvote 0
I got a question, If I can get my IMEI of my nexus 5 into the Metro PCS database and have them activate the device on their cdma network, what, if any, hoops will I need to jump through?

Thanks.

I want to do this as I am currently on their (actually T-Mobile's) GSM network and there coverage is TERRIBLE near Lansing, MI .
When I signed up I went by the coverage map on the Metro PCS website, which is actually only for their cdma users, which had great coverage in my area with LTE to boot.

There GSM users wont have access to their infrastructure until they decommission there cdma portion of their network.

From everything I've ready on the many forums here, the N5 will only be on ONE CDMA network, and that's Sprint's. Metro or any other network out there will only activate it on a GSM network. Like I said, this is from what I've read. I don't have any personal experience, so good luck to ya.

Upvote 0
So no keeping my grandfathered $40 plan? I got this plan when the Galaxy Indulge first came out
If you have not done so already I suggest the metro cdma galaxy s3, its good enough till metro decides to give some promo for gsm. When they are ready to tear down the cdma network (mid 2015) they will beg you to get gsm, well maybe not beg lol.

From everything I've ready on the many forums here, the N5 will only be on ONE CDMA network, and that's Sprint's. Metro or any other network out there will only activate it on a GSM network. Like I said, this is from what I've read. I don't have any personal experience, so good luck to ya.
Its unfortunate but because metro's cdma is going away there is no reason to support another cdma phone so the best you could do is find a used cdma metro s3 and have that. Bad side to that is your going to be paying higher prices and getting second rate service. However second rate is better then no service.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones