• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Nexus 5 on two carriers?

Hey all - Can the Nexus 5 be registered on two different networks simultaneously?

Currently I have my N5 running on a Ting Mobile data-only plan on the CDMA end of it. Now I want to transfer my MetroPCS service to it, so.....

Can I still keep my account with Ting, keeping my ESN and UICC card registered with Ting (CDMA)while running on the MetroPCS GSM network?

I know its kinda silly... Just curious, since when I travel +/- 100 miles north of me I have either lousy or no MPCS service, where Ting service will work OK in some spots.

Is this possible or would there be a conflict with my ESN being registered on two carriers? I'd hate to have to cancel my Ting ;(

I did this with sprint and T-Mobile in December, no issues. You can switch back and forth as much as you please, just gotta swap your Sim

Was it just a matter of swapping Sims for you or did you have to configure the phone?

I threw my MPCS card in, and phone did not want to read it, or even acknowledge any network. No Sim number would display. It did see a Sim though....

Got it to the point of selecting network, could not register, zero bars and no data. Weird. Anyway...

Threw my Sprint Sim back in. I'll keep it short; had to enter service menu and change a few things, reboot several times, toggle airplane mode to get Ting going again. What a pain in the ass! Is there an easier way?

Another question.... Will a MPCS Sim registered to another phone show up as no network / no signal in my nexus?

Upvote 0
Was it just a matter of swapping Sims for you or did you have to configure the phone?

I threw my MPCS card in, and phone did not want to read it, or even acknowledge any network. No Sim number would display. It did see a Sim though....

Got it to the point of selecting network, could not register, zero bars and no data. Weird. Anyway...

Threw my Sprint Sim back in. I'll keep it short; had to enter service menu and change a few things, reboot several times, toggle airplane mode to get Ting going again. What a pain in the ass! Is there an easier way?

Another question.... Will a MPCS Sim registered to another phone show up as no network / no signal in my nexus?

Try this... Before taking out your Sprint Sim, switch the Network mode to "Global" then power it down and swap the sim card. Reboot and then it should automatically recognize the MetroPCS Sim and auto configure the APN settings, you may have to reboot the phone now too. You might have to manually edit the APN settings. I'll also post a screen shot of my Metro APN setting for you too.

Then before switching back to the Sprint Sim make sure that it's still set on "Global" power down the device, swap the Sprint Sim in and reboot. Hopefully now with it set on Global it should automatically detect the network, again you may need to reboot the phone. If it's not detected then go into Network Settings and update the network profile and the PRL and that should get your Sprint/Ting network detected again.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-04-09-10-41-58.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-04-09-10-41-58.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 64
  • Screenshot_2014-04-09-10-42-10.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-04-09-10-42-10.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 52
  • Screenshot_2014-04-09-10-42-15.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-04-09-10-42-15.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 57
Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0

For me I just shut the phone down, swapped SIM's, rebooted, and was set to go on whatever networks SIM I had in

Upvote 0
I'll try it again, this time setting to global before swapping chip out. I installed my Metro Sim in it before, and it immediately came up with signal. Weird. I thought since Ting pushed network profile settings for data only, it may have done something to service settings, which it did. Not the case with Metro Sim, all of the radio settings for GSM looked fine? Also, every attempt to enter radio settings ended up in a FC.

I'll let you guys know this afternoon if I'm set. Thanks to all for your help!
~~

Upvote 0

Yes, you need to register your Nexus with MetroPCS. I think it is still a leftover policy from being a CDMA carrier; they require the phone's ESN/IMEI to be registered on the network, and tied to the SIM card, before it will work.

Upvote 0
Are the APN settings getting auto configured after a switch?

Yes. They match the APNs listed in the MetroPCS Stickies. Selecting any one does nothing for signal, and status bar keeps displaying "restricted access changed". Is there any way to reset everything on this phone instead of doing a factory reset? Wait... Maybe unlocking BL and rooting will do something? Maybe different firmware? I've never imagined seeing anything restricted on a Nexus :thinking:

Upvote 0
A shot in the dark, but try accessing the phone menus by using the dial string *#*#4636#*#* and then hitting phone information and then changing the preferred network type to lte/gsm/cdma.

That was one of the first few things I tried. Does nothing no matter which setting I try. Tried toggling radio on/off in there too. Going to in-laws today, as a final check im going to try throwing an AT&T Sim in there. If that works, that narrows it down to my phone only having an issue with Metro Sims.

Reactions: jhawkkw
Upvote 0
Update:

I talked with Sprint. Seems that since I used the Sprint UICC to sign on with Ting Mobile (Sprint MVNO for those who don't know) that somehow during provisioning, Sprint did me a solid and blocked my phone from accessing any Gsm networks. So now, they strong-armed my device that I paid for in full, mind you...

And now when I personally requested that they unlock my device, they said because I didn't meet the criteria:

Haven't had 3 months of continuous Sprint service

Balance isn't current

Not even a Sprint customer

No Sprint login

They won't unlock it, and, get this.... Can't do OTA unlock because it's not registered on "the" Sprint network, but had no problem locking it through Ting's provision process... But I am free to pay some back alley butcher to unlock it if I choose.

Gotta love these giant carriers... This nexus experience has left a pretty sour taste here. So much for a device that can be used freely anywhere anyhow on any network. Everybody I've asked for help, including Google and Best Buy have pretty much said it's in Sprint's hands now. Fantastic.

Upvote 0
That's pretty messed up. How high up at sprint have you gone? Their customer support line is usually very helpful once you get past the first line or two.

(The first few lines are helpful as well, but if I'm calling in its usually an issue they don't have the powers to solve and I've already tried everything they've suggested ;) )

Upvote 0
a2yve3y4.jpg

This is the *help* I received with online tech support. He/she was much nicer before learning I'm not a Sprint customer. I'd rather make my way to Dan H****'s line through the phone directory than use QPST or actually pay somebody to unlock this thing.

It's all good. I'm about to become a major problem for a few people. I already had it out with a Ting staff member today ;)

Upvote 0
That's pretty messed up. How high up at sprint have you gone? Their customer support line is usually very helpful once you get past the first line or two.

(The first few lines are helpful as well, but if I'm calling in its usually an issue they don't have the powers to solve and I've already tried everything they've suggested ;) )

I won't get past the first meat head to pick up the phone because I've refused to give any of my money directly to them, (hence why they are not nice to me LOL), for years, and for good reason.

Because they SUCK. And now with this whole Nexus-gate they've started with me, they SUCK even more. I'm far from being done with Ting and Sprint... I enjoy being a pest ;)

Upvote 0
And wait a minute..... By saying I can have somebody else unlock it, are they suggesting that i do something illegal here?? I wouldn't put it past them to arrest me for trying...

Oh well. I've got a lot of homework to do with this one. I'll keep yall posted. I'm sure the Nexus 9.2 running Mike and Ike will be out by the time I suck a free unlocked high-end device out of somebody for my troubles here :)

Upvote 0
Why FCC, can they do something for me? And don't worry, I'll get to the BBB eventually. First I'm going to send some mass amounts nasty-grams to Sprint and Best Buy, and several per day until I get something from one or the other. They can't ignore me forever :D

All I want is an OTA unlock delivered to my phone, that's not a huge or unreasonable request, is it? They had no right locking it down in the first place. That's a really dirty move they pulled here. Whatever, I have plenty of time to play!

'Give me what I want and I'll go away'.... Lol I just watched that movie on Sunday ;)

Reactions: Twisted21
Upvote 0
Tell them you are going out of the country and you need it to work overseas. I did this with AT&T right after I bought a phone and they gave me the unlock code.

Don't let this deter you away from the Nexus line. This really has nothing to do with the Nexus line, it's more that Ting did something to your phone. You said you had to install or format it for Ting? I am guessing that somehow locked the phone.

I would suggest just using T-Mobile or AT&T. I have found T-Mobile is faster than Verizon. I gave up my unlimited Verizon for the Nexus 5.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones