• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Nexus 5 on two carriers?

Tell them you are going out of the country and you need it to work overseas. I did this with AT&T right after I bought a phone and they gave me the unlock code.

Don't let this deter you away from the Nexus line. This really has nothing to do with the Nexus line, it's more that Ting did something to your phone. You said you had to install or format it for Ting? I am guessing that somehow locked the phone.

I would suggest just using T-Mobile or AT&T. I have found T-Mobile is faster than Verizon. I gave up my unlimited Verizon for the Nexus 5.

One item of the unlock criteria is being an active Sprint customer for 90 days or more. They refused to help me just because of that reason, so screw them and Google too, as their elite tech support team even told me to deal with Sprint if I want it unlocked. So much for the wonderful Nexus experience lol. Mine so far is a very expensive N5 desk ornament I've never made a phone call with yet, and I have a '13 Nexus 7 tablet that has major touch screen issues. In my opinion, Nexus is way overhyped.

I'm not buying any more Google branded products. Sprint and Ting only had a small Now MUCH bigger part in that decision; the actual products, lousy support from Google and LG are exactly why.

Upvote 0
If sprint locked it, Google doesn't have a magic button to push. One way or another sprint is going g to have to unlock it. What has best buy said?

Google support has been amazing for me in the past, but this just isn't a problem they can help you with. Its not their company

I understand they can't perform miracles, but I was a little disappointed that the best they could do was pretty much making sure the phone wasn't in airplane mode and that my SIM was working properly in another device.

It doesn't matter now, Best Buy took care of it and they handled it well.

Reactions: Rxpert83
Upvote 0
@Spec2nirvash - I know you had thought about throwing in an ATT SIM to see if that worked - did you try it? I suspect the problems you are having with MetroPCS are because of them being a Sprint MVNO type of carrier before.

Contrary to what Sprint/BBuy reps are "programmed" to tell you, Sprint can't prevent you from activating the N5 on a GSM network. Even if they installed some software update that 'locks' your phone to their network, a factory reset should fix it. Worst case scenario, just flash the factory images from Google, and be done with it.

Reactions: Rxpert83
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones