Does the nexus 5 have OTG support?

Advertisement
  2. andrews317

andrews317 Well-Known Member

I have this same question.
  3. andyvaughan

andyvaughan New Member

Hi,

I received my Nexus 5 yesterday and have tested USB OTG with a FAT32 stick and StickMount.

All working well!

Cheers.
    jhawkkw likes this.
  4. Hook

Hook Ever since DU... ;-) VIP Member

So, just to be clear (I'm a little slow on these things, forgive me), all you did was root and install, say Stickmount. No other mods needed?
  5. andyvaughan

andyvaughan New Member

Yep, exactly that. Just root and stick mount. Playing films from a Fat32 formatted USB stick worked fine.
    Hook likes this.
  6. ferenc

ferenc New Member

If you do not want to root your device you can use the filemanager "Total Commander" in combination with the "USB-Stick Plugin". Both are available in the Google-Play-Store.
  7. BynoUK

BynoUK Well-Known Member

Or for the unrooted just use the app Nexus Media Importer, it was updated yesterday for 4.4 & Nexus 5 support. Works a charm, tried an MKV from an NTFS 64GB stick and played flawlessly, lovely stuff.
  8. CarsnGadgets

CarsnGadgets Well-Known Member

Nexus media importer also works fine, its just been updated.
  9. pizzamanzain

pizzamanzain New Member

Thanks Man
  10. JunBringer

JunBringer Well-Known Member

Can you play music right off of the stick or do you have to import it onto the device?
  11. BynoUK

BynoUK Well-Known Member

Play it right off the stick bud.
  12. zipred

zipred Well-Known Member

Yes indeed, it's just one more of the many advantages of Android. There's endless possibilities for those interested in learning all that Android has to offer :)
  13. SiempreTuna

SiempreTuna Well-Known Member

Anyone know if this is just the N5 or whether it also now works on the N4 (i.e. is it all software or is there a hardware element, too)?
  14. BynoUK

BynoUK Well-Known Member

Alas no on the N4, as far as I'm aware for some reason OTG support isn't there.
    SiempreTuna likes this.
  15. JunBringer

JunBringer Well-Known Member

Thanks! I'm going to try this at some point cause I have a usb drive that has slots of SD and microSD so I wanna fill those up with goodies and use PowerAmp.

Anyone used PowerAmp playing music off of a usb drive?
  16. vandyman

vandyman Well-Known Member

Yes, Power Amp will play the music from the USB drive.
  17. ritchea

ritchea Well-Known Member

True, hardware issue (lack of power) on the N4 as well as software (kernel); however, it can work-not as conveniently as on GNex, both N7's, and N5.
    SiempreTuna likes this.
  18. BynoUK

BynoUK Well-Known Member

And the N10 ;)
    SiempreTuna likes this.
  19. ritchea

I thought so but haven't owned an N10 (might if they EVER have a new one! ) so didn't add it. Thanks for completing the list.
  20. SiempreTuna

SiempreTuna Well-Known Member

Thanks for your help, guys

When you say it can work, does that just mean the device you're connecting to would require a power source or would it also require rooting the phone?
  21. ritchea

It requires a kernel or rom (built-in kernel) with USB host recognition so, yes, root is required--as well as a power source.
  22. Mehta23

Mehta23 Well-Known Member

Anyone had experience playing games off something using OTG?
  23. Jason71

Jason71 Well-Known Member

Will the OS install games to what it sees as external storage? wouldn't some clever root type mods be required? Or was that your question?
  24. Mehta23

Mehta23 Well-Known Member

Yeah, pretty much.

I've only just realised they've canned App2SD on JB and above so I doubt any of this would work very well, although I am rooted.