• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Nexus 5 Stuck on Erasing after Factory Reset

321baktrak

Lurker
Dec 9, 2014
Last month I sideloaded Lollipop on my Nexus 5 using the official build. Generally, the experience was "OK" at first, but after a couple weeks the Lollipop started tasting a little "sour". In the last week it was rebooting every night (sometime between 3am and 7am), making me miss work!

So yesterday I placed the phone on factory reset and let it be. A few hours go by, and its still stuck at Erasing with the green Android guy gearing around. It was clear to me this wasn't normal, so I shut down, and restarted, and it continued to do that. I gave it a fair bit of time, with the same results. So I proceeded with flashing the Nexus 5 (fastboot). The process running fastboot flash-all tends to get stuck at Erasing Cache. I did manage to get passed that screen once on another machine today, but after getting to the bootloader recovery, it started up with the Android man "gearing away". Hitting the volume + key showed the phone was "Erasing" data message at the bottom. If I tried flash-all again, and shut down the phone during the "Clearing Cache" process (that's where it gets stuck), I get the message "FAILED (status read failed (Too many links))". I've update Android SDK tools on both computers to verify I was completely up to date with USB drivers and other files that may have been corrupt.

Currently I am at the end of my ropes with ideas. Any suggestions?

This phone was a Google Play refurbished model I received last month. It replaced my other refurbished model that grew a mind of its own after 1 week of light use. Im starting to wonder if all the refurbished models are no good..

Last edited:
Last month I sideloaded Lollipop on my Nexus 5 using the official build. Generally, the experience was "OK" at first, but after a couple weeks the Lollipop started tasting a little "sour". In the last week it was rebooting every night (sometime between 3am and 7am), making me miss work!

So yesterday I placed the phone on factory reset and let it be. A few hours go by, and its still stuck at Erasing with the green Android guy gearing around. It was clear to me this wasn't normal, so I shut down, and restarted, and it continued to do that. I gave it a fair bit of time, with the same results. So I proceeded with flashing the Nexus 5 (fastboot). The process running fastboot flash-all tends to get stuck at Erasing Cache. I did manage to get passed that screen once on another machine today, but after getting to the bootloader recovery, it started up with the Android man "gearing away". Hitting the volume + key showed the phone was "Erasing" data message at the bottom. If I tried flash-all again, and shut down the phone during the "Clearing Cache" process (that's where it gets stuck), I get the message "FAILED (status read failed (Too many links))". I've update Android SDK tools on both computers to verify I was completely up to date with USB drivers and other files that may have been corrupt.

Currently I am at the end of my ropes with ideas. Any suggestions?

This phone was a Google Play refurbished model I received last month. It replaced my other refurbished model that grew a mind of its own after 1 week of light use. Im starting to wonder if all the refurbished models are no good..

It's definitely possible that it's due to the device being refurbished and I wouldn't rule that factor out. Though from my understanding Google is actually pretty good about refurbishing there devices and warranting them.
Have you tried fastboot erasing the cache image and then manually flashing the factory images separately? Especially the cache image?

Also there is a new tool for the N5 that flashes Android 5.0 to your device when it is in a state like yours. It's called N5 Autoflash 5.0. It allows you to run a batch script and the tool will flash 5.0 in 2 mins even if your device is stuck in a Bootloop, Bootloader Mode and/or in a Normal operational State.
You can find it here and hopefully it may resolve your issue easily and definitely worth a try- http://forum.xda-developers.com/goo...o-flash-5-0-lrx21o-flash-5-0-n5-tool-t2957801

Hope this helps, if you need any help feel free to ask and good luck!

Upvote 0
It's definitely possible that it's due to the device being refurbished and I wouldn't rule that factor out. Though from my understanding Google is actually pretty good about refurbishing there devices and warranting them.
Have you tried fastboot erasing the cache image and then manually flashing the factory images separately? Especially the cache image?

Also there is a new tool for the N5 that flashes Android 5.0 to your device when it is in a state like yours. It's called N5 Autoflash 5.0. It allows you to run a batch script and the tool will flash 5.0 in 2 mins even if your device is stuck in a Bootloop, Bootloader Mode and/or in a Normal operational State.
You can find it here and hopefully it may resolve your issue easily and definitely worth a try- http://forum.xda-developers.com/goo...o-flash-5-0-lrx21o-flash-5-0-n5-tool-t2957801

Hope this helps, if you need any help feel free to ask and good luck!

This tool didn't help. :(

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones