nexus 5 v. S4General

Last Updated:

1. mark86a

mark86a Member

I just got my Nexus 5 and compared with my S4, I think I made a mistake getting it, the S 4 display seem to be more darker and crisp, and when I did a speed test with OOKLA the S4 at home does about 11 mps on LTE, but so far all I can get on the Nexus is 3 mps at home, I'm thinking of taking the S4 off E-Bay, and send back the Nexus, anybody else with a S4

Advertisement
  2. Drew1204

Drew1204 Well-Known Member

The screen on the Nexus is a lot better in my opinion. The colors are much more accurate. You're used to the fake ass colors that look like a cartoon from the S4. Use the Nexus for two weeks and you'll wonder how you were using the S4's screen in the first place with its overly blue whites and choppy text when scrolling.
    Rxpert83 likes this.
  3. cgfw201

cgfw201 Well-Known Member

I've made the same switch.

I prefer the Nexus 5 for
    - speed of use
    - screen
    - how the OS looks and feels
    - how the phone feels in my hand and looks in general

and the S4 for
    - TouchWiz making it much easier to do simple things like lock screen rotation
    - camera
    - the settings button in the bottom left, rather than the window stack one on the N5
  4. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood Moderator

Many of the customizablility things your looking for will be available on custom ROMS for the nexus 5. Thats what is ultimately so great about a nexus for me. If you want your phone to do something, chances are it can be done.
  5. club968

club968 Well-Known Member

My last phone was the HTC One google edition so not an S4 but I did prefer the HTC over the Nexus 5. They are pretty much identical except that the HTC One seems to have a brighter (not oversaturated but brighter) screen and the speakers are the best I've ever heard on a phone. Only drawbacks to me are minor: slightly smaller screen and the hard buttons at the bottom of the phone. Honestly if the One didn't have the hard buttons (nitpicking I know) I would've stuck with it....it's the most glaring thing to me that screams, "Hey! This isn't a true Nexus phone".
  6. zipred

zipred Well-Known Member

In a surprising bit of good luck, my Black 32GB Nexus 5 arrived yesterday. Originally scheduled to ship on November 27, I'm still just shocked and delighted.

Given that it arrived at 8:35 AM, I decided to take the day off to put it through my normal checklist of tests I perform on all my new phones. Once those were done and passed with flying colors I decided to perform a side by side comparison of build quality, displays and button operation compared to my very enjoyable, fast and trouble free Galaxy S4.

I found these two far more similar and excellent in the categories mentioned than originally anticipated. For my personal tastes I find each of the two displays absolutely stellar. They are simply _different_ just as I expected. Unlike many people, I do not find exaggerated or unpleasant colors present in the S4, they are just different like the two manufacturers that build these phones. In fact, they're so close to being the same I honestly have no preference, nor do I find one "the winner".

That said I do prefer the stock "Pure Android" experience much to my liking, it's the influencing factor that caused me to buy a Nexus 5, despite the fact I am very happy with my S4. One taste of pure Android, as provided months ago by my 2013 Nexus 7 and I was convinced that it was a must have for me as soon as I could obtain a Nexus 5.

Either way, S4 or N5, you cannot go wrong, this is a perfect example of relying on your personal preferences to be your guide. Hopefully I've given you another useful viewpoint for your consideration. :)
    Gatman, Rxpert83 and jhawkkw like this.
  7. andrews317

andrews317 Well-Known Member

Only hate I envy from the GS4 is the IR blaster.