Nexus 7 batterySupport

1. JxT

JxT Active Member

Hi, I'm relatively new to the Nexus 7 and was just wondering if my battery usage is normal. I have the brightness set pretty low, roughly 10-20%, and about the only thing I've done is read comics on websites and browsing. With 16% battery left, my screen on time is only 5h 50m. I read the tablet can get 9hr out of it of actual use so I'm wondering why mine seems to be draining faster than their quoted time? Also I turned off all the sync features, bluetooth, gps, nfc, and have wifi set to be on only during wake.

Advertisement
  2. pastafarian

pastafarian P√Ętes avec votre foie Moderator

The 9 hour "mark" is with wifi turned off. having wifi on and streaming data will effect battery life significantly. 6+ hours of use with the screen on doesn't sound unreasonable.
  3. metalbiker

metalbiker Well-Known Member

idk i just put mine on charger after being off charger for 14 hrs and its on %45 battery left, yeah screen was off for a good 3 or so hrs, but the battery is pretty amazing and it had wifi on the whole time with screen on auto... my gnex dies in about 6 hrs with auto screen and playing around on media sites
  4. JxT

JxT Active Member

What does it say actual screen time on is though? So that 9hr test was with wifi off and doing what though? I figure if they did the test even just watching movies wouldn't that drain more battery than just surfing the web?
    Rxpert83 likes this.
  5. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood Moderator

The screen uses the vast majority of battery. We need screen in time and brightness level to get a good picture of how you use it
  6. whs37

whs37 Well-Known Member

I have set my screen to manual because I have very bad eyesight and the automatic setting does not suffice. The WiFi is on during sleep - mainly because of the GrooveIP.

With that I also get about 6 hours. That is better than my laptops.
    Rxpert83 likes this.
  7. JxT

JxT Active Member

Well for me screen is set to 10-20% brightness manual and my screen on time has only been 6 hours. It says wifi only used up 2% of the battery.
  8. jhsrennie

jhsrennie Well-Known Member

I keep the wifi off unless I'm actually using it, and reading books with Aldiko I find the battery drops by around 10% an hour. It's very dependant on screen brightness though.
  9. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate! Moderator

Am I the only one that keeps screen brightness on max???

I'm still in the bedding in phase battery wise, but I've been relatively impressed with it so far. I'm at 52% at the moment with 2 1/4 hours screen on time and off charger for 14 hours. Not been doing anything too taxing, just a bit of web browsing and reading some kindle ebooks.
  10. JxT

JxT Active Member

Well, I've been using mine at home for the time being so having max brightness would just be too much for me. I'm mostly reading on websites so my wifi stays on during those times but I have it set to turn off during sleep. So does my battery usage seem normal considering how low I keep the brightness?
  11. forum4um

forum4um Member

Its been 1 day 1 hour and 21 minutes since my last charge. Max screen brightness, 3.5 hours of screen usage and WiFi is always on. Currently have 19% battery left, I love this battery.
  12. VicMatson

VicMatson Active Member

I'm with you, we buy these things for their specs, I blaze on at will! But I do hope a wireless charging solution comes out soon.
  13. whs37

whs37 Well-Known Member

14. jhsrennie

After six hours of screen on time (with WiFi off) I'd expect my battery to be down to around 40%. You mention yours was down to 19% with the WiFi on, so this doesn't seem unreasonable. Try with the WiFi off.
  15. tsaunders

tsaunders Well-Known Member

I always have mine at full brightness. Anything less and it annoys me.
  16. JxT

JxT Active Member

What are you usually doing though with the wifi off?
  17. jhsrennie

Reading books with Aldiko.

I suppose the only other thing you'd do with the wireless off is play games, and this would presumably consume more power because games tend to be CPU intensive.
  18. iynCognito

iynCognito Well-Known Member

Same here. With WiFi on and brightness on max, I get just over four hours of screen-on use.
  19. JxT

JxT Active Member

Wow, with my brightness turned down I'm only getting 2-3hrs more. That sounds really good considering max brightness but not so great with how low I have mine set to.
  20. stargirl29

stargirl29 Well-Known Member

i've been getting about 5 - 6 hours too. that's using google, facebook, gmail and other apps almost continuously. i've got my screen brightness turned down about 30%, and gps, bluetooth, turned off. i posted a screenshot of my battery useage in my other thread charging my nexus. i was wondering if my battery use was normal too.
  21. JxT

JxT Active Member

Yup, I'm in the same boat as you. I saw some people getting miraculous battery life in those threads so I wasn't sure if something was wrong with my device or not. I updated my device to current version as soon as I got it so I wouldn't be able to tell pre and post update results.
  22. stargirl29

yesterday i turned off everything that had to do with syncing. i don't even remember all the settings i made but when i went into settings & clicked on an item i made sure to check all sub menus as well. i then went into my gmail & google account & google dashboard settings & turned off all syncing like picasa. turned off nfc underwireless & networks/ more. i turned off syncing w/ the google calendar. a lot of the changes i made going through settings / apps then click on individual apps & turn off sync & other settings i found unnecessary.

after all that i really think the battery is working much better. i just wish i could tell you exactly what i did. i haven't gotten to that magic 5 hour point yet but i'll report back my findings
  23. stargirl29

well, it seems i was wrong. it seemed like my battery was dropping slower but i just got the low battery alert at 5 hrs 37 min.