1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

Nexus 7 CrashingSupport

1. Detrocity

Detrocity New Member

I got a Nexus 7 32GB WiFi only for Christmas and initially I wasn't having any problems with it. This is my first Android device so I wasn't sure what to expect. This past week however, it's been crashing once or twice every day. At first I had no idea what was triggering it. But then I noticed that it seemed to happen when I unplugged or plugged in headphones. It doesn't happen every time, and it's usually if I'm in an app. It tends to happen if I load a YouTube video and then unplug my headphones. Just a few minutes ago, I unplugged them when I opened Ruzzle and it froze completely, forcing me to shut it off by holding the power and volume buttons down. I was just wondering if this was a problem with the OS or my device specifically. I've factory restored it, which didn't help at all. It's running stock 4.2.1 and it is unrooted.
    Also, sorry if this is the wrong area for this, new to the site.

Advertisement
    :
  2. Metroid Prime

Metroid Prime Oil Can!!! Oil Can!!! VIP Member

Moved to Nexus 7 section where the members here can offer better support and answers. :)
    Rxpert83 likes this.
  3. Netcat

Netcat Well-Known Member

Are you using a standard stereo headphone (without a mic.), or one with a mic? Their plugs are a little different. They are both 3.5mm in diameter but a headphone with a mic. has four conductive sections on the plug ( mic, ground, left, and right). A standard stereo headphone plug only has three conductive sections (larger ground, left, and right).

The N7 is meant to accept a headphone with a mic. If you plug in a standard stereo headphone without a mic., you will short the mic connection to ground. This may or may not cause issues. I remember seeing my Epic 4g Touch act strange when I tried to use my computer's headphones. Standard Ipad/IPhone/IPod headset should work okay. Or any headset meant for a smartphone. For the N7, push hard when you plug it in.
  4. dan330

dan330 Well-Known Member

when you did a factory reset... did you load all your apps that you had on it again?

it might be a bad app that is causing issues. you might want to reset again.. but this time.. only load the apps that know was on it before issues started.
  5. Ganjamaican

Ganjamaican Member

I feel your pain, imagine this.... I GOT MY NEXUS 7 CHRISTMAS, now after nearly 4 weeks, screen broke yesterday :c. I'm looking for a way to repair it.
    Anyways I think it is a virus that youy might have... or also ASUS hardware...
    Hope you find the solution in the near future.
  6. JanComputerman

JanComputerman Well-Known Member

Do not plug or unplug headphones while any app is using them! That should solve your crashing problem.
  7. dan330

dan330 Well-Known Member

really?

i sure hope that is not the case.. very bad app/os design if that is true.
  8. JanComputerman

JanComputerman Well-Known Member

It "senses" the connection and adjusts volume so "we" won't damage our hearing with the earphones and that popup can interfere with running apps just enough to crash them.