• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Nexus 7 Data. Not really free!!!

ssick92

Android Enthusiast
Jan 19, 2010
Cal Poly San Luis Obispo
Hey everyone,

So I have a question about the newish Nexus 7 with Data.

I have a Nexus 7 original 8gb with no data. I told my parents to get the newer Nexus 7 with data for my brother and sister. We have Verizon mobile service.

After reading on the Google website, and reading reviews about this tablet, I told my parents that they should purchase this tablet for my siblings, 1 bother and 1 sister. So they received them today for Christmas, and I assumed we could just jump on the ATT network via the SIM card that came with it. However, upon turning on the tablet, and trying to get online, it appears I need to sign up for a ATT dataconnect account.

Now is there any way to get data on this Nexus 7 mobile without paying $14.99/month for data? I was under the impression that the SIM card that came with the tablet gave us access to their network. Well apparently that is not so... Initially when we set up the tablet, we were on our WiFi network. All was perfect until we tried to get on the mobile network without WiFi. It immediately brings you to a screen to sign up for ATT DataConnect service, which costs $14.99/mo.

I might be a dumbass and missing something, but isn't that false advertising if Google is marketing this tablet as coming with HSPA+ connectivity without a data plan, but it still requires a $14.99/mo data plan...?

Somebody please help me. I might be slightly full of liquor, and frustrated, but is the only way to get data on the Nexus 7 to pay $14.99/mo? I love rooting my Android devices and will do the same if I don't have to pay this ridiculous price for data that was supposed to come with the tablet...

I have never seen the Nexus offered with free data, specially from Google. It's not ridiculous either, you have to connect to At&t and use their network to transmit data, when every other device that does that (tablets, phones, aircards etc...) needs a data plan why wouldn't the N7? Sorry dude, you either read something wrong or misunderstood an ad, not Google's fault. No amount of rooting is going to get you free data either.

Upvote 0
sorry buddy :( i wish there was free data :) i think it there was, even on a promo, that the 32gb w/ data would be sold out in the play store. maybe you read that you didnt need a contract and it was month to month? my uncle had an ipad with data that he payed 15$ a month for but he didnt need to pay for it every month. only the months he used the tablet. but he did have to call and cancel the service when he didnt want it or he would be billed.

Upvote 0
No wireless carrier is going to offer free data for any smartphone or tablet on their network. By shipping the 3G Nexus 7 with a SIM card, they make it really easy to sign up with AT&T, but the device is unlocked, so you could take it to TMobile or some other regional carrier or MVNO. Rooting the device isn't going to change whether or not you can get free data from a wireless network provider.

I think you goofed on this one pretty bad. I hope your parents aren't too upset with you for the misunderstanding. Luckily the 3G tablets can still be used on WiFi only, just take the SIM card out, put them in airplane mode to turn off the cellular radio, and then turn on WiFi to enable the WiFi radio again.

-SF

Upvote 0
I mean ya, obviously there was a misunderstanding. And it is still a great tablet at a great price, my parents arent upset at all. She read the same things as me and thought the same things as me, so at least I wasn't the only one under this impression.

But Google really should change the wording of this paragraph which is on their website. And the following paragraph mentions DataConnect, but they say "More options with DataConnect." We thought this meant DataConnect wasn't necessary, but it gave you more options...

"Access the nation’s largest 4G network with AT&T*.
Nexus 7 comes with AT&T mobile broadband built right in, so you can browse the web or check e-mail on the go, even when you aren’t near a WiFi hotspot. Download large files in a snap and access your favorite websites with amazing speed -- with AT&T we’ve got you covered."

Upvote 0
I'm guessing that's from an AT&T ad, not a Google one as I can't find any of that wording on the Nexus 7 Play store page. There was no small print anywhere?

Anyway, if your parents aren't annoyed with you, that's the main thing I suppose.

It's right here:

Google.jpg

Upvote 0
It's right here:

Google.jpg

scroll down all the way to the bottom where you find the other *

* 4G speeds not available everywhere. ** Smartphone required. Up to ten devices per plan. Additional monthly charge per device. $15 per GB for add'l data. Unlimited talk and text for phones only. Activation fee may apply. Additional deposits and other restrictions may apply. Access to corporate email, intranet sites and apps available for $15/mo. per device.

Reactions: El Presidente
Upvote 0
Ya, that is why we all thought it was such a good deal, because usually we would need a data plan.

Oh well, no harm, no foul. Still a great tablet and it is nice to have the ability to buy a month or so if I need it, but 99% of the time I have WiFi.

Thanks everyone for not just flaming me because I asked a stupid question, that's why I always come back to this forum.

Upvote 0
I think you goofed on this one pretty bad. I hope your parents aren't too upset with you for the misunderstanding. Luckily the 3G tablets can still be used on WiFi only, just take the SIM card out, put them in airplane mode to turn off the cellular radio, and then turn on WiFi to enable the WiFi radio again.

-SF

There is a much easier way to turn mobile data off. All you have to do is go to Settings>More>Mobile Networks>Uncheck Mobile Data box.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones