• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Nexus 7 Dead.....won't charge! :-(

Just a quick update on my previous post: the Nexus is now connected to my laptop via the stock USB cable and it's turned off, charging. After about 30 minutes of charging I turned it back on, and was greeted by a "Charging, 1%" message. Maybe there's hope that it will charge, even if slowly. Anyway, I turned it off and I'll wait a couple of hours before turning it on again.

Upvote 0
Mine ran down last night and I couldn't get it to boot this morning. I plugged it into the charger with no luck. I was just about to check here or call tech support when I attempted to boot into recovery and it started normally. I figure that I must have held the three keys for 30 seconds and it kicked in using the 30 second rule.

Either way, I'm just glad I didn't have to resort to sending it in for replacement.

It's charging now with the power off in the hopes that it will charge faster...

Upvote 0
Mine ran down last night and I couldn't get it to boot this morning. I plugged it into the charger with no luck. I was just about to check here or call tech support when I attempted to boot into recovery and it started normally. I figure that I must have held the three keys for 30 seconds and it kicked in using the 30 second rule.

Either way, I'm just glad I didn't have to resort to sending it in for replacement.

It's charging now with the power off in the hopes that it will charge faster...

It sure helped me.. Alternatively, you could try charging it from a USB port first, then with the wall charger. I don't know if it makes any difference, but a couple of people reportedly managed to charge it this way.

Upvote 0
Thanks for your help, everyone. My battery was at 37% when I shut it down and put it on the charger. 24 hours later I tried to power up and got nothing. After two hours of doing everything I could think of I was really stumped because the cord, charger, even the ports checked out.

The 30-second power-up worked.

Now I need to go cancel that return I scheduled with Google.

Upvote 0
Hi guys, i'm having a similar problem. Battery was on about 10%, no apps running, went to bed. In the morning nothing at all. try to boot up twice, both time get static on screen. think oh crap it's broken. leave plugged in all day when I go to work, get back 9 hours later and still nothing. tried the 30 second bootup and I got a bootloader screen. It's now stuck on the X after the google logo which is animated. if I turn it off, it reboots about 5 seconds later and gets to the same stage. I can only power it down by manually going to the boot loader (vol up and down + power) and pressing power off. every time I boot it I am stuck on the animated x. Any ideas guys, I'm about to fill in a return form, it's that bad.

Upvote 0
Hi guys, i'm having a similar problem. Battery was on about 10%, no apps running, went to bed. In the morning nothing at all. try to boot up twice, both time get static on screen. think oh crap it's broken. leave plugged in all day when I go to work, get back 9 hours later and still nothing. tried the 30 second bootup and I got a bootloader screen. It's now stuck on the X after the google logo which is animated. if I turn it off, it reboots about 5 seconds later and gets to the same stage. I can only power it down by manually going to the boot loader (vol up and down + power) and pressing power off. every time I boot it I am stuck on the animated x. Any ideas guys, I'm about to fill in a return form, it's that bad.
Sorry, I'm going to ask the obvious question: did you try a different USB cable? The cable that comes with the N7 is very cheap, and I've actually had occaisional problems with it...

Upvote 0
The charging cable for the Nexus 7 is slightly different. The cable for my
Razr does not fit it, but I have several cables for my droid X and they do the trick. Love the fact that I now have a back up cable for travel.:)

I too had a charging problem. After all night charging (I thought) it was about dead at 3% left. Saw a post about Non-Certified cables may not charge the Nexus 7s. So I un-wrapped my never used, SHORT stock cable and noticed the tabs on one side of the micro end seem to protrude more than my other micro cables, probably holding in better BUT the cable may be slightly different in other ways...I plugged it in and my Nexus is charging faster than it did before.

That's all I know, using the Stock Nexus 7 USB cable SOLVED my charging issues. I read about other issues as well, possible defective chargers, charging chips etc. I hope the cable issue is the main culprit here because it is easy to fix. I DO think other micro USB cables will charge, they must, I have used 4 different cables since I had my N7 for over two weeks now, but the stock ASUS USB cable shipped with the N7 is charging my N7 much faster than what I have seen before.

Cheers!

Upvote 0

I think i saw another thread about being stuck in a bootload loop, try doing a search for bootload etc as i'm not sure if a resolution was found.

Good Luck buddy

Upvote 0
just had to do the "30 second" trick on mine as it just 'blacked out' on me after using my OTG cable to transfer a film from a memory stick.

Im now looking for a new cable after reading on this thread the stock one is crap,

does this one look ok, or is it going to be just as cheap?

MICRO USB CABLE FOR ASUS GOOGLE NEXUS 7 | eBay

Upvote 0
I didn't have to :D It just started charging after a while. Then I switched to the wall charger and now everything's fine. I think the battery drowned completely, that's why the screen went all crazy. It gave me the freaks anyway :)

I have the same problem.
I have now connected the device to the wall and it works fine, but the loading rate remains steady at zero. :(:(:(

Upvote 0
I'm in a spot of bother here gents, which is why I've signed up to take on some of your knowledge.

Basically, I bought my nexus off ebay. I'm not blaming the seller as he's got 100% feedback from lots of customers before me and I know many other people have had battery problems before.

My battery is charging so slowly. I've had it on since midnight last night (so around 18 hours) and it's gone up from 20% to 50%. The worst part is it dropped 1% when I used it for a few minutes while it was on charge in that time.

I've tried holding down the power button for 30 seconds but that only turns it off and on (or just on in the case that it was off already).

I guess it's good that it's charging, but I'd prefer not to wait two days every time it runs low.

Basically, I glanced at google's replacement thing and they needed an order number which suggests I won't be able to sort it out under warranty even though it should still be under warranty. Fact is the last guy would have returned/replaced it anyway had he had this problem so google/asus aren't losing anything surely?

Any help or tips would be hugely appreciated. I don't have the money to just chuck it.

Upvote 0
Llike mnay others here I have had the dredded 'Nexus 7 die' problems.

Bought this two weeks ago - all fine etc until last week when total failure - whilst doing nothing more strenuous than reading a book. Battery was not low. 30 sec reboot did not work - and tablet would not charge.

Contacted retailer on my return home this morning - they had me try the 30 sec re-set again - no success - then immediately offered a collect / replace service - with delivery tomorrow (within 24 hours).
I am impressed with their service.

My only question ?
Will I have problems recovering apps / books etc that were loaded to the 'old' Nexus 7 - or should all magically re-appear when I set my new Nexus 7 to my Google account etc ????

I still have some of my Google Play voucher to use up - Will that also be auto updated to the new tablet ???

Regards
John

Upvote 0
In my unprofessional-average-guy opinion, this sounds very much like the problem a lot of us have experienced with our ASUS Transformers which leads me to believe that it's something caused in ASUS manufacturing/engineering process. Sad to say but if I had to do it all over again I would never have gotten the Transformer. Would probably go with a Samsung model or even the tablet-that-must-not-be-named. But never again with ASUS, I've learned my lesson.

Upvote 0
I'm in a spot of bother here gents, which is why I've signed up to take on some of your knowledge.

Basically, I bought my nexus off ebay. I'm not blaming the seller as he's got 100% feedback from lots of customers before me and I know many other people have had battery problems before.

My battery is charging so slowly. I've had it on since midnight last night (so around 18 hours) and it's gone up from 20% to 50%. The worst part is it dropped 1% when I used it for a few minutes while it was on charge in that time.

I've tried holding down the power button for 30 seconds but that only turns it off and on (or just on in the case that it was off already).

I guess it's good that it's charging, but I'd prefer not to wait two days every time it runs low.

Basically, I glanced at google's replacement thing and they needed an order number which suggests I won't be able to sort it out under warranty even though it should still be under warranty. Fact is the last guy would have returned/replaced it anyway had he had this problem so google/asus aren't losing anything surely?

Any help or tips would be hugely appreciated. I don't have the money to just chuck it.
Sounds like you're charging at the speed of usb. When it's charging, check your battery stats: does it say charging (AC). If it says usb, while you're using your charger, the charger is most likely the issue. It's actually the most likely issue in any case. Try finding an usb charger with 2A output and use it with your original cable.
Llike mnay others here I have had the dredded 'Nexus 7 die' problems.

Bought this two weeks ago - all fine etc until last week when total failure - whilst doing nothing more strenuous than reading a book. Battery was not low. 30 sec reboot did not work - and tablet would not charge.

Contacted retailer on my return home this morning - they had me try the 30 sec re-set again - no success - then immediately offered a collect / replace service - with delivery tomorrow (within 24 hours).
I am impressed with their service.

My only question ?
Will I have problems recovering apps / books etc that were loaded to the 'old' Nexus 7 - or should all magically re-appear when I set my new Nexus 7 to my Google account etc ????

I still have some of my Google Play voucher to use up - Will that also be auto updated to the new tablet ???

Regards
John
As long as you didn't disable backups or background data and have had a network connection recently, everything should be backed up and magically pop back up when you log back in, it'll take a few minutes tho, depending on how many apps and your connection speed. Same with your credit, it's linked to your Google account.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones