• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Nexus 7 Dead.....won't charge! :-(

And it started working again.......thank God!
Here is what I did:
Removed the back cover. Did it with my finger nail. I was looking for some place to insert my nail in and the cover actually popped out a bit. Form there onward, it was a piece of cake.
Disconnected the battery (checked ifixit website for that).
Reconnected it.
Pushed the power button and it turned on.
Battery is at 100% coz it remained on charge overnight.
So that was all about resetting the battery.

Thanks a million to everyone who helped.

Thanks a Zillion......Brought a new Nexus7 32 GB today..When i switched it on, the battery was showing a warning.. i plugged in the charger and the icon shows a flash symbol implying it is charging but the charge stays at 0% no matter how long i charge it....if i remove the charger the battery warning sign re-appears and i don't know if there is any charging left in the battery at all nd it switched off a couple of times...... after trying to charge with different USB cables including the stock charger..nothing worked...shows up as charging when plugged in..batter stays at 0% (in the settings it actually says not able to determine the battery's current staus !) as a last resort followed your advice...opened the back cover with my nail and disonnected and reconnected the battery cable (the cable was not properly/fully into the leads inside..i guess that was what the original problem was)..restarted the tab...now it shows 100% battery ..solved the problem 100%. Saved me from the hassle of returning it back and waiting for the new one !

Upvote 0
I also had this problem, I ended up returning it. I returned my first 32GB Nexus 7 due to charging issues and a weird circle on/under the screen and exchanged it for another one. And while browsing these forums, I got a 14% battery left notification, literally 2 minutes later it just switched off. Plugged it in and two hours later I turned it back on and was only at 6%, then told me to connect charger before powering off again with a weird fuzzy display. Took several hours to charge in the end then I let it drain again. It didn't perform exactly the same but, when plugged in, it kept turning itself on and saying charging 1% then would say connect charger. In contrast, my partner let hers run down to see if she had an issue and once it turned itself off, plugged it in and it showed the battery charging indicator on screen and within about 45 minutes, it was up to 38%.

Upvote 0
Thanks a Zillion......Brought a new Nexus7 32 GB today..When i switched it on, the battery was showing a warning.. i plugged in the charger and the icon shows a flash symbol implying it is charging but the charge stays at 0% no matter how long i charge it....if i remove the charger the battery warning sign re-appears and i don't know if there is any charging left in the battery at all nd it switched off a couple of times...... after trying to charge with different USB cables including the stock charger..nothing worked...shows up as charging when plugged in..batter stays at 0% (in the settings it actually says not able to determine the battery's current staus !) as a last resort followed your advice...opened the back cover with my nail and disonnected and reconnected the battery cable (the cable was not properly/fully into the leads inside..i guess that was what the original problem was)..restarted the tab...now it shows 100% battery ..solved the problem 100%. Saved me from the hassle of returning it back and waiting for the new one !

Something told me it HAD to be the battery connector, but, having had my Nexus 7 16 GB for only a few days, I'm thinking "What if they can see that I messed with the cover? My warranty is finished!"

Finally curiosity and the overwhelming desire for this nightmare to be over (I tried everything else you guys suggested), I went for it...I tried a few places, but found the cover to come off easily when I stuck my fingernail in at the middle of the right side (with the display facing me). There it is... a big, flat, black slab that seems to take up most of the inside left side of the unit. Towards the right top, there was a bunch of short red and white cables going into a connector. I barely touched them and they disconnected from the terminal they were supposedly attached to. I reconnected them and gave a gentle shove for good measure. When I felt that the connector was seated, I realized that this HAD to have been the problem.

As I was snapping the back cover back on, I saw that the "Google" logo had already appeared on the display without my pressing the power button. Seconds later the N7 was completely booted without a power warning in sight. In fact, upon checking the battery status, I found that I had a 96% charge.

I strongly suggest that, if you can boot up with the stock charger but can't get past 0% after staying connected to power for several hours, and you've tried everything else, take heart and check the battery connector. Be sure it's firmly in place. The cover comes off easily with a fingernail (don't risk using anything else that might leave a sign of tampering). Of course, there's a risk that, if the battery isn't the problem and you have to send the unit back for replacement some tech will find out that you took the back off, but if you love your N7 like I do and can't bear to think of letting someone else put their grimy mitts all over it, I encourage you to take the chance. At least it was worth it in my case. :)

Upvote 0
I have had a similar problem which included the N7 going flat refusing to start up and when charger was plugged in. It started to loop turning on, getting so far and shutting itself down. The loop got shorter and shorter every time. I was worried until I decided to go to boot loader (volume + volume - and power button all pressed together) I simply left the tablet plugged in on the boot screen and gave it an hour or so to build up a little charge. Then shutdown and left for another half hour on charge. Powered up and voila. 11% and charging. Hope this may help someone someday. Cheers G.

Upvote 0
And it started working again.......thank God!
Here is what I did:
Removed the back cover. Did it with my finger nail. I was looking for some place to insert my nail in and the cover actually popped out a bit. Form there onward, it was a piece of cake.
Disconnected the battery (checked ifixit website for that).
Reconnected it.
Pushed the power button and it turned on.
Battery is at 100% coz it remained on charge overnight.
So that was all about resetting the battery.

Thanks a million to everyone who helped.

You rule! Sure enough the battery cable was loose.

Just got my Nexus 7 a couple days ago. It would not power on. I was able to power it on using the USB cable and it showed charging 0% I tried everything to charge it and it continued to stay at 0%.
When I first opened the back I noticed that the battery was not straight in its compartment. After I pushed the battery cable in to the connector the battery sat square. Powered on. Battery at 34%. Charged for an hour now at 80%

Thanks a million to everyone who helped

Upvote 0
Just wanted to say many thanks to all the contributors on this thread. I was almost out of the front door on my way back to the shop when I thought 'let me check on the news groups'. Glad I did. I now don't have to change all my passwords to email accounts, ebay etc etc. Although Tesco was willing to refund or replace, I wasn't willing to hand over my life.
Thanks everyone, the 30 second power button push worked a treat.

Upvote 0
I'm so glad, I found this thread because I appear to be having the same issue. The battery had obviously drained, and plugged in the screen was 'speckling' (a bit like TV static actually). I managed to get it turned on, but it immediately told me to connect my charger, turned itself off and it went back to static. I tried a few times, different chargers and now it's plugged into my computer.

I've left it for a bit and turned it back on (30 secs), where it started to receive emails and tried to update some apps. The battery was at 7%, but once again it told me to connect my charger and turned itself off.

Is this normal? Should I just let it charge for a few hours before I start messing with it again? I got it in October, so it's still under its warranty, but I didn't buy Curry's 'Whatever Happens' insurance, will they still sort it if I have to take it in?

Upvote 0
I'm so glad, I found this thread because I appear to be having the same issue. The battery had obviously drained, and plugged in the screen was 'speckling' (a bit like TV static actually). I managed to get it turned on, but it immediately told me to connect my charger, turned itself off and it went back to static. I tried a few times, different chargers and now it's plugged into my computer.

I've left it for a bit and turned it back on (30 secs), where it started to receive emails and tried to update some apps. The battery was at 7%, but once again it told me to connect my charger and turned itself off.

Is this normal? Should I just let it charge for a few hours before I start messing with it again? I got it in October, so it's still under its warranty, but I didn't buy Curry's 'Whatever Happens' insurance, will they still sort it if I have to take it in?

Oh my god, left it on charge overnight and it reached 11%, came back to it yesterday afternoon and it had fully charged. No problems, no static screen, no turning off - phew!!

Thank you all so much, I'm really glad I found this thread as I would have been straight down to Currys!

Upvote 0
This happened to me. Completely dead, would not turn on or show up on USB on my laptop. I fixed by holding the power for a long time at least 30 seconds. Eventually it come on and was charged to 44%. Just make sure to hold the power for as long as it takes. So glad thought it was done and I had to deal with shipping back. Hope this helps.

Yeahhh, this 30 seconds rule worked for mine too!!!i was really disappointed and ready to return it back to the store!!!Thank you!!

Upvote 0
My newly purchased nexus 7 battery has been drained. Now it is not booting up using battery power. it is only booting up while it is connected to the charger with full functionality. As I remove the charger it powers off instantly as the battery is not charging.

When it is booted using power cord, it shows 0% charge, and also shows: connect the charger.

Would you please advise how to solove the issue??? Thanks a lot...

Upvote 0
You should always use the charger that came with the Nexus and use AC power, especially if the battery is low. I don't understand why people insist on charging via USB. It's slow and the tablet wasn't really meant to be charged that way, that's why it comes with an AC charger.

Also, don't ever let the battery drain to the point that it shuts off. When it warns you the battery is low and tells you to connect the charger, connect it. I personally don't let any of my devices get below 15% and I've had zero battery/charging problems.

Upvote 0
I have bought my Tablet in September 4th for my birthday. Few days ago now it won't charge. The cord could not stay in the tablet. :mad:

Sounds like you broke your charging port due to rough handling. The cord should never be yanked out of the device and care should be used when using the device while charging so no pressure is put on the port or cord.

Upvote 0
Hello Users: I just sold my android tablet and was thinking to buy

a NEXUS 7 BUT with all the problems of the battery should I ??

BUT with all of you users around I have support no?

If you all had to do over would it be NEXUS 7?

Bob

Yes. Enthusiastically. At this price, with this screen, the speed and how well it's fit into my life. Yes - I would buy it again. No hesitation.

Upvote 0
Also having this issue. When I plug it in I get a really high pitched buzzing noise and it won't turn on for 1-2 minutes and then it just shuts back off again. When I disconnect the charger it just gets more high pitched until it eventually stops.

I've heard this noise before from a broken phone charger so I hope it's not a resistor or something inside the device playing up.

Every minute or so it randomly boots without me even pressing any buttons and then when it gets to the lock screen it powers off again telling me to connect my charger when it is in fact connected.

When I plug it into my computer via USB it is not detected in Devices and Printers but it still boots randomly. I can't access the memory of the device.

I've tried charging over night and booting into bootloader but none of it will work and I even pulled the back of the device off and re-connected the battery cable as someone on XDA mentioned.

I would send it back but it's rooted and the bootloader is unlocked so I have a feeling that they wouldn't help me at all?

EDIT: Finally got it into the bootloader and selected 'power off device' and now it's just hanging. The tablet is frozen and it has been for at least 5 minutes now.

Anyone who bought from google play, how did you return the device?

EDIT2: Managed to un-hang the device. I then used Wugs toolkit to flash stock and unroot and it failed. Now I'm bootlooped. Hopefully this boot looping will end because there was a note after the script that it may bootloop for 5-10 minutes. Still hanging at 'power off' option when selected from bootloader.

EDIT3: Flashed back to 4.1 and it worked finally. I rebooted and it seemed to hang on the coloured 'X' but after about a minute it proceeded to setup! I setup my tablet, connected to wifi and then signed into my google account. Everything was perfect! I could see the light at the end of the tunnel! Then bang it's dead.

Just got it booted again and now it's actually working and I can use it but it's not charging. It's sitting on 0% battery and I feel like it's about to die again. Oh wait, just did.

Upvote 0
Can boot now but won't charge on 4.1 I'm beginning to think that this is a hardware issue. Previously I thought it was to do with the 4.2 update as it was really un-heard of before it.

I've already checked the battery plug so I might even have a defective battery.

EDIT:

SItrep number 5 I think it is now. Managed to get the device booted up and I locked the screen straight away to prevent it running out of power again. After 2 hours of having the screen locked I expected to hit the power button with no reaction but long behold it was still on! And it had charged to %20! It's going to take a long time to get it charged up fully but hopefully after wards it should be rectified.

Does anyone have a solution for trickle charging from an AC outlet? That's what mine is doing now and I'm using the stock charger and the stock USB cable. I'm not going to fiddle right now seeing as I'm getting somewhere but I'm interested as to why it is doing it.

Thanks guys. I have to extend a special thanks to Wugs Toolkit. You saved my ass again!

Upvote 0
I signed up to say thank you for this thread. Specifically to the posters who opened the case and found the battery cable loose. My cable was not inserted. It was just sitting on top of the connector.

I got the device yesterday, plugged it in to charge and it still showed 0% this morning.

In addition to the screen flickering, random static and failure to power on sometimes, I also observed the following when it powered on:
  1. The battery status under settings was listed as "unknown"
  2. The welcome screen said "connect to charger" even when the device was plugged in.

Thanks everyone!

Upvote 0
I would like to thank the person who suggested removing the back. My pad was dead and only 8 days old. I tried removing the back and found my pwr socket not in properly... however I managed to break off the wifi antenna connector whilst trying to get the pwr plug in properly... as you can imagine im not a happy bunny. the pad is going back and hopefully i can get a refund. Samsung here I come

Upvote 0
I would like to thank the person who suggested removing the back. My pad was dead and only 8 days old. I tried removing the back and found my pwr socket not in properly... however I managed to break off the wifi antenna connector whilst trying to get the pwr plug in properly... as you can imagine im not a happy bunny. the pad is going back and hopefully i can get a refund. Samsung here I come

If you're not adept to fixing tech stuff then why didn't you take it back in the first place, instead of tinkering with the internals. If it was 8 days old you probably would've just gotten a new one. Now you broke the hardware, your chances of getting that refund aren't great :(

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones