• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Nexus 7 Dead.....won't charge! :-(

I would like to thank the person who suggested removing the back. My pad was dead and only 8 days old. I tried removing the back and found my pwr socket not in properly... however I managed to break off the wifi antenna connector whilst trying to get the pwr plug in properly... as you can imagine im not a happy bunny. the pad is going back and hopefully i can get a refund. Samsung here I come

The best thing to do in that situation would've been to take it back. If you aren't comfortable with doing something (especially as fiddly as this tiny device) you're best to just take it back. That way you don't risk anything.

You could always take it back and say that you can't connect to wifi and you couldn't from the day you bought it :p Make it look like shipping damage or a manufacturing defect.

Since going back too 4.1 I've noticed that my battery life has increased greatly. It's obviously something to do with 4.2 and I wish they would fix all of these issues before they pushed it out.

Upvote 0
Same issue here. only a bit worse then what I read from other users.
Mine had been working flawlessly and everything was pretty smooth. (had it for about a week more or less). As most of the dead/ bricked N7 stories begin, mine has had it's battery fully drained as well.
tried to plug it with usb/ac - nothing.
tried to boot it into boot loader (Power button + Vol Down for about 10 sec) - It worked. turned it off. Finally - it charges (or so i thought).

gave it a good night charge, and checked it by morning.
I pressed the power button, it reacted immediately (more or less, didn't had to wait 30 sec) but couldn't get pass the X animation.

My N7 was in that state for about a day, with me trying all sort of button combination (power button would turn it on only to get stuck on that animation,
power btn + Vol Down loaded boot loader,
Power btn + Vol up turned device off).

after a day of not passing the X animation I tried once again to give it a shot
(the device is off, not connected to anything)

well, it got even worse, now it's pretty much all dead. no response what so ever
(yes i tried holding the power button for a decade or so and i tried every charging method I could think of :)

BTW
No response when connected to a computer as well.

Any ideas?

Upvote 0
ok. can someone please help me I am desperate here. I left my nexus 7 at home, and it stayed on. the battery drained to 0% and now when I connect it to my charger it boots up, gets to the lock screen, tells me to charge it, shuts down and dies. this is one endless loop. I tried holding down the power button for 30 seconds it didnt work. please can someone help.

Upvote 0
Same issue here. only a bit worse then what I read from other users.
Mine had been working flawlessly and everything was pretty smooth. (had it for about a week more or less). As most of the dead/ bricked N7 stories begin, mine has had it's battery fully drained as well.
tried to plug it with usb/ac - nothing.
tried to boot it into boot loader (Power button + Vol Down for about 10 sec) - It worked. turned it off. Finally - it charges (or so i thought).

gave it a good night charge, and checked it by morning.
I pressed the power button, it reacted immediately (more or less, didn't had to wait 30 sec) but couldn't get pass the X animation.

My N7 was in that state for about a day, with me trying all sort of button combination (power button would turn it on only to get stuck on that animation,
power btn + Vol Down loaded boot loader,
Power btn + Vol up turned device off).

after a day of not passing the X animation I tried once again to give it a shot
(the device is off, not connected to anything)

well, it got even worse, now it's pretty much all dead. no response what so ever
(yes i tried holding the power button for a decade or so and i tried every charging method I could think of :)

BTW
No response when connected to a computer as well.

Any ideas?

yours might be the case of a loose battery connector plug.
pull off the back cover.. and check the battery plug.
push it in tight.

ok. can someone please help me I am desperate here. I left my nexus 7 at home, and it stayed on. the battery drained to 0% and now when I connect it to my charger it boots up, gets to the lock screen, tells me to charge it, shuts down and dies. this is one endless loop. I tried holding down the power button for 30 seconds it didnt work. please can someone help.

plug it in.. using the usb cable and charger that came with the N7.
the battery has gone done way to low and needs to be charged up to a certain point before it will power the device.
leave it in at least 2 hours.
then try to boot it up.

Upvote 0
I've had this problem numerous times with my Nexus 7. The cause is consistent with every other user: letting it run out of battery completely. This happens to me quite often because I use my Nexus once every couple days or more. Here's what I've learned.

Problem 1: Your Nexus has been charging forever since it went dead and won't turn on now.

Fix: Chances are, your Nexus is actually charged but needs a little push. Hold the power button down for 30 seconds or greater. Time it because you have no patience. It should boot.

Fix A: If you have problems getting into your Nexus due to a reboot loop. Hold the Power Button AND both volume buttons for 30 seconds. You should get more options. Choose to power off the device. Restart as normal (may need to hold power for 30 seconds).

Problem 2: If #1 solution did not work, chances are your Nexus never actually charged.

Note: The supplied charger and USB cable are awful. Add that to the fact that the Nexus has had problems charging with store bought chargers. You will know if this is your problem when you try (sometimes takes many many times) to boot the device. You might FINALLY get to the home page, see a "Shutting Down" message followed by a pixel line party that makes you think your Nexus got hit by lightning or trapped in a disco.

Fix: With Nexus pluged in, unplug the charger from the wall. Replug the charger in the wall. Repeat about 5 times. If nothing, unplug cable from Nexus. Replug cable in Nexus. Repeat about 5 times. Repeat above steps by plugging just the USB cable into a computer. You are looking for the Nexus to show the big white charging icon. It may sound silly, but I've had to replug in my Nexus about 10 times and it finally started charging (yes, using Asus supplied charger). If you get the charging icon, let it charge for 30min to an hour. Try to power as normal or goto Problem #1.

Problem 3: If the first two do not work, Your device may have a disconnected battery.

Fix: Google how to remove back cover and reconnect battery. For the lazy: Remove back cover, find battery, push the battery connecter back in. Goto Problem 1 & 2.

Other than that... manufacturer's warranty?

Reactions: jah590 and dan330
Upvote 0
I've had this problem numerous times with my Nexus 7. The cause is consistent with every other user: letting it run out of battery completely. This happens to me quite often because I use my Nexus once every couple days or more. Here's what I've learned.

Problem 1: Your Nexus has been charging forever since it went dead and won't turn on now.

Fix: Chances are, your Nexus is actually charged but needs a little push. Hold the power button down for 30 seconds or greater. Time it because you have no patience. It should boot.

Fix A: If you have problems getting into your Nexus due to a reboot loop. Hold the Power Button AND both volume buttons for 30 seconds. You should get more options. Choose to power off the device. Restart as normal (may need to hold power for 30 seconds).

Problem 2: If #1 solution did not work, chances are your Nexus never actually charged.

Note: The supplied charger and USB cable are awful. Add that to the fact that the Nexus has had problems charging with store bought chargers. You will know if this is your problem when you try (sometimes takes many many times) to boot the device. You might FINALLY get to the home page, see a "Shutting Down" message followed by a pixel line party that makes you think your Nexus got hit by lightning or trapped in a disco.

Fix: With Nexus pluged in, unplug the charger from the wall. Replug the charger in the wall. Repeat about 5 times. If nothing, unplug cable from Nexus. Replug cable in Nexus. Repeat about 5 times. Repeat above steps by plugging just the USB cable into a computer. You are looking for the Nexus to show the big white charging icon. It may sound silly, but I've had to replug in my Nexus about 10 times and it finally started charging (yes, using Asus supplied charger). If you get the charging icon, let it charge for 30min to an hour. Try to power as normal or goto Problem #1.

Problem 3: If the first two do not work, Your device may have a disconnected battery.

Fix: Google how to remove back cover and reconnect battery. For the lazy: Remove back cover, find battery, push the battery connecter back in. Goto Problem 1 & 2.

Other than that... manufacturer's warranty?

Good write up

Upvote 0
It happened to me last night too.
I was at 16% and about 6 hours and 30 minutes running on battery when a red battery warning sound came on.
three minutes later the screen went black.
I was unable to charge the N7

I researched on the Internet and found the below quote. It did work....
The only thing to add is that I read "save mode" on the bottom left

"unplug your nexus if it is plugged in and plug it back in. press the on button until the Google screen comes up. once you get to the nexus logo press all the buttons (on, vol up/down) until the android screen (system page) comes up. scroll through the options in the top right corner until you find the power off option. select it via the on button and once the nexus shuts off, unplug it from the charger wait a few moments and plug it back in. This has ALWAYS worked for me."

Hope this helps

Upvote 0
It happened to me last night too.
I was at 16% and about 6 hours and 30 minutes running on battery when a red battery warning sound came on.
three minutes later the screen went black.
I was unable to charge the N7

I researched on the Internet and found the below quote. It did work....
The only thing to add is that I read "save mode" on the bottom left

"unplug your nexus if it is plugged in and plug it back in. press the on button until the Google screen comes up. once you get to the nexus logo press all the buttons (on, vol up/down) until the android screen (system page) comes up. scroll through the options in the top right corner until you find the power off option. select it via the on button and once the nexus shuts off, unplug it from the charger wait a few moments and plug it back in. This has ALWAYS worked for me."

Hope this helps

That is the way to fix a totally discharged battery. Should work if executed properly.

Upvote 0
Hi, I have been having battery charging issues. I went online and found the information about holding down the power and volume buttons and I finally after several hours got it to boot up and start charging again. It charged fully and now it's running down and it won't charge again. Do I have to go through all this button pushing shit every time I want to charge my N7? If so. what a bunch of crap? When are the manufacturers ever going to address this issue? Or is it just tough luck sucker and thanks for the 270 dollars sorry the product doesn't work.

Upvote 0
Ok everyone, I figured out that the nexus 7 stock USB cable is not very good and it basically has a 'sweet spot' that you have to adjust it to (at the micro-usb end of it on your Nex7, not the full USB A end.) If you hold that position it charges, if you let go it wont. to fix my problem I used the stock wall charger but then switched to my HTC cable (it is a lot thicker, which I will assume is better) and it has been charging without any problems or stopping. If you dont have another cable, you could plug in your nex7 and maybe place something at the microUSB end (a book perhaps), so that it is nudged into the correct charging position or sweet position. Hope this helps. but gees ASUS, we need better cables.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones