• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Nexus 7 does not see my phone's tethered wifi

caspian915

Jul 1, 2011
I have Wifi Tether for Root on my phone and my laptop sees (and is currently using) the phone's connection. However, my Nexus 7 does not. I've tried other tether apps as well, same problem.

What could possibly be the issue? The lack of 3G is a real sore point for me with this device...

The app is called Wifi Tether for Root and I'm using it on an LG Optimus Elite for Virgin Mobile. There have been a issues with tethering with this phone, but like I said, I've been able to connect my laptop to the network AndroidTether with no setup whatsoever, with this app and others. However, none of the default open networks created by any of these apps shows up in the list on my Nexus 7.

I'm not sure what you mean by can the Nexus 7 see my phone. It doesn't see any network created by the phone. With bluetooth I can pair the devices but neither seems to want to connect to the other.

Upvote 0
It sees other networks just fine, at least the important ones (it also sees lots of "open" networks that just end up "Saved" and useless for whatever reason.) It just doesn't see the network put out by my phone, even though the laptop has no problem with it (and the laptop, or rather, netbook is an MSI Wind U100 with a relatively crappy RealTek wifi card).

Upvote 0
Yeah, I'm not concerned with those per se, I know I can just make them forgotten. It still doesn't explain why my crappy old netbook can pick up a wifi network and the N7 can't.

Is there something specific about a tethered wifi network created by phone (a technical difference... band? frequency? whatever), that the N7 can't pick up? Even then, I know other people tether the N7 to their phone on other networks...

Upvote 0
Not a clue, but it shouldn't save any networks that you haven't tried to connect to. The only ones in the list should be available networks and previously connected networks. You can long press on one and select Forget network and it should drop from the list.
+1

Further, some sharing apps have limits to connected devices. Determine if your app has a limit and if so, resolve it.

Some clients have limits as well ... try deleting one from your Nexus for test.

Upvote 0
I am using WiFi tether also fro, my 3VO to the N7 and connects just fine and shows up every time in the WiFi Networks, weird that it does not show up in yours. I don't think it is a setting issue, that would be for connection, you should still see the unit on your N7

Also which phone are you trying to tether from, is it in GB o ICS, as mentioned I don't think it is setting related, but I will give you the ICS settings that work for me

ICS

Device profile: Generic ICS
Enable Wifi; Encryption: checked
Change Passphrase: (your custom choice)
ChangeSSID: (your custom choice)
Enable Access-Control: NOT checked
Routing Fix: Checked

Upvote 0
Why do you need a separate app to wireless tether. I just use normal wireless connection
To connect to 3g on my HTC phone. It connects seamlessly.

because the tether app frees you up to go friggin' anywhere you want and still connect. you don't have to look for free wifi,,,you already have it. and if you have the droid maxx, like me, the battery is worth it's weight in gold.

listen to this:):):), i use the tether for my ipad. it's invaluable for many reasons but mainly, hotel wifi blows chunks. anyway, so i'm using foxfi in the park, and at 45minutes there's a default popup message warning me that i've been using tether for a long period and i should conserve my battery. CLEARLY this message was meant for ordinary androids because my droid maxx should 90% full :D:D:D

foxfi + droid maxx is da shhh***t

Upvote 0
Why do you need a separate app to wireless tether. I just use normal wireless connection
To connect to 3g on my HTC phone. It connects seamlessly.
Do you pay extra for the Hotspot feature on your HTC phone? FoxFi allows using my phone's Hotspot feature (and my unlimited data cap) without paying extra $$ to Verizon each month to enable the Hotspot feature of my phone with a 2G data cap.

Upvote 0
Do you pay extra for the Hotspot feature on your HTC phone? FoxFi allows using my phone's Hotspot feature (and my unlimited data cap) without paying extra $$ to Verizon each month to enable the Hotspot feature of my phone with a 2G data cap.

I don't pay more. My orange Panther bundle data allowance allows tethering. I just tick the wireless hotspot box in settings and bingo. You set a password up and my nexus connects just like home wireless.

Upvote 0
If you are on a capped data plan, you can use a third party tether application with Verizon and not get charged anything extra. Tether away to your heart's content.

Those of us still on the unlimited plan are not so lucky. We still can be charged for tethering and must hide our tethering if we want to do so.

Here are two articles online that talk about the ruling against Verizon:

Let my Wi-Fi go: FCC rules Verizon can't charge for Wi-Fi tethering

Verizon to stop blocking tethering apps, settles with FCC for $1.25 million

Upvote 0
Well, this sucks. Just upgraded to JB on the GN and FoxFi doesn't work anymore.
WHOA here ... one of us is very confused as to what needs to run on what for tethering.

FoxFi runs on the PHONE and turns it into a mobile hotspot. When I installed it (no a DroidX), I also installed the extra part that MAY not have been required. I gave the FoxFi application a name and password of my choosing.

Once that is done to the PHONE, "any" WiFi device should be able to get internet connectivity by using that WiFi connection. There is no special software running on my N7 nor old Dell notebook, and both connect to it fine. My Verizon plan forbids tethering without a $30/month fee, so all I've done is tested.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones