• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Nexus 7 fastboot not working

Hello guys, I tried many times to use the 'fastboot oem unlock' with adb but for some reason it does not work.

The text that appears on the cmd window is as follows:

"erasing userdata...
erasing userdata done
erasing cache...
erasing cache done
unlocking...
FAILED <remote: <Unknown error code>>
finished. total time: 5.817s"

I would appreciate it very much if you guys could help.

P.S I have tried all ports on my laptop and different usb cords.

so first when i do the "fastboot oem lock" i get this:
<bootloader> Bootloader is already locked
OKAY [0.031s]
finished. total time 0.031s

Reboot to bootloader then I did "fastboot oem unlock"
i get the "unlock bootloader" prompt screen highlighted "Yes" and pressed power button to select and i get the same output as my first post...it says it deleted all the userdata and cache but then this shows up:

Failed <remote: <unkown error code>>

Upvote 0
do you know anything about Linux?

I suggest you try downloading a live edition (I know for a fact both Fedora and openSUSE have android-tools in the repository) and run the fastboot on a Linux machine see if its a freaky driver issue in windows.

for fedora just open a terminal window and type:
su
yum install android-tools -y

after install and still as root user type
fastboot devices <- if you get the Serial Number and fastboot then type
fastboot oem unlock

see if we still get the error if so then its something in the bootloader that may be corrupt and I'm not sure what can be done about that if that is in fact the case.

Upvote 0
find it quit ironic that a name like narcissisticpenguin doesn't know anything about Linux ;)

ok try this:

Fedora(Kde)

fedora usb creator for windows

take a clean usb hook it up to your computer run the liveusb-creator program to burn the iso to the usb

have your computer boot to the usb (check bios or hit f12 for some models and f? for others hp is f9 for boot options)
once booted into the kde environment
get on the internet either wifi or cable. Once internet is working then right click the desktop choose Konsole

at the command line type:
su
then type
yum install android-tools -y

after the install has completed hook up your tablet
fastboot oem unlock

Upvote 0
Alright, I am back. I have the same issue on the Fedora, I connected to internet and then opened the konsole. After that, I type in su, enter, then yum install android-tools -y. There was a wall of text and something that said install was successful, afterwards I hooked up my tablet, booted it to fastboot, and typed in fastboot oem unlock...

Similar to what happened on windows it said FAILED unknown error code

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones