• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Nexus 7 how to disable android updates?

Hi, I have a Nexus 7 2012. Lollipop 5.0 rendered it unusable. I managed to flash it back to 4.4.4 Kitkat with a lot of google and youtube. It works again, which was well worth losing 226 levels of candycrush to a corrupted backup. However, this week I got the OTA notification for the 5.0.2 system update. It downloaded automatically and the notification gives me choices of "Later" or "Install" which of course I don't want to do.

So my questions are:

1. If I reboot my tablet, will it automatically update? I'm afraid to power off for this reason.
2. Where is the update file stored so I can remove it before any harm is done?
3. Can I disable the android system updates? I can live with Kitkat; at least it works!

I am *not* rooted if that makes a difference. Thanks for any help!

So my questions are:

1. If I reboot my tablet, will it automatically update? I'm afraid to power off for this reason.
3. Can I disable the android system updates? I can live with Kitkat; at least it works!

Answers:
  1. No
  2. /cache
  3. Yes, by disabling "SystemUpdateService"
Your device must be rooted for #s 2 and 3.

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0
Hi, I have a Nexus 7 2012. Lollipop 5.0 rendered it unusable. I managed to flash it back to 4.4.4 Kitkat with a lot of google and youtube. It works again, which was well worth losing 226 levels of candycrush to a corrupted backup. However, this week I got the OTA notification for the 5.0.2 system update. It downloaded automatically and the notification gives me choices of "Later" or "Install" which of course I don't want to do.

So my questions are:

I had the same problem after updating to 5.0.2 [however] I am unable to go back to 4.4.4. I downloaded the update [5.0.2] to Nexus 7 2012 on 1/15/15. For less than two days the tablet responded extremely slow, took forever to load web pages [even weather and low application usage games]. Last night I plugged it in to charge and the tablet would not accept a charge. It is now completely dead, will not take a charge and will not open.

I suggest that people NOT install this update – I have a Nexus 7 2013 edition and I will not install 5.0.2 on that device--updating requires a confirmed OK from the user

Reactions: JohnUnter
Upvote 0
You can press and hold on the message notification until the pop up 'App info' appear and then click to the 'App info', go to that (Google Services Framework), follow the bellow steps:
- unchecked 'Show notifications'
- Click on 'Clear data' button.
And now you can see Your System is up to date in System updates, the notification about update OS gone.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ok I tried the long press on the notification. App Info took me to Google Play Services (not Google Services Framework) and I unchecked Show notifications. While waiting for the tablet to finish "computing" so I could proceed, it unexpectedly restarted.

After rebooting, the OS notification still appeared and I went through the same steps again. This time the tablet did not suddenly restart so I cleared the cache and tapped the "Manage space" button to manage the data. The "Clear All Data" button says it will clear total data used by Google Play services, including the search engine and other data. I do not wish to clear all data, files, settings, accounts, databases, etc. from Google Play Services so I will not select this.

Anyway I manually rebooted and I don't see the OS update notification! I assume I will no longer receive update notifications for any of my apps in Google Play either, so I will have to check for them occasionally.

Thank you vuholmes. Although my menu did not match yours, the problem appears to be solved.

Upvote 0
Install Xposed framework and then add either the Amplify or Disable Service modules. If you prefer not to use Xposed, I'm sure there are stand-alone apps that will do the same thing.
If you like that, your gonna love this.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=cn.wq.myandroidtoolspro by WanQi.
Isn't dependent on Xposed.
With it you can disable services, background receivers, activities, content providers, and other. Plus you can have it auto startup when an app is installed.

Upvote 0
You can press and hold on the message notification until the pop up 'App info' appear and then click to the 'App info', go to that (Google Services Framework), follow the bellow steps:
And now you can see Your System is up to date in System updates, the notification about update OS gone.
This is exactly what I wanted. After down grading my N7 2012 from 5.0.2 back to 4.4.4. I couldn't be happier that there is a way to 'ignore' the update. thank you sir!

Upvote 0
I had the same problem after updating to 5.0.2 [however] I am unable to go back to 4.4.4. I downloaded the update [5.0.2] to Nexus 7 2012 on 1/15/15. For less than two days the tablet responded extremely slow, took forever to load web pages [even weather and low application usage games]. Last night I plugged it in to charge and the tablet would not accept a charge. It is now completely dead, will not take a charge and will not open.

I suggest that people NOT install this update – I have a Nexus 7 2013 edition and I will not install 5.0.2 on that device--updating requires a confirmed OK from the user

You may want to try to use the Nexus Root Toolkit to get your dead Nexus 7 back to life.

Upvote 0

I created an account just to thank you for this! Restored my N7 back to 4.4.4 as well to give to my wife after getting a new Tab S for my b-day and didn't want it getting Lollipop under any circumstances. This did the trick and saved me the minor trouble of rooting it lol

:D:D:D

Upvote 0
I also joined specifically to thank you, vuholmes! This is exactly what I needed after downgrading my Nexus 7 (2012) to 4.4.4!

For everyone else here who might be confused while looking for "Google Services Framework," it has probably (if you've updated your base apps before following these instructions) been renamed "Google Play services".
Once you've clicked on "App info," it'll take you there.

- Click off the checkbox for "Show Notifications (same as before).
- One added step: Click the "Manage Space" button, and "Google Play service storage" will open up. Here, you can clear your data if you like.
Note: I don't really think this step is necessary, because the deleted data just downloads itself again. I'm fine with some unused update data sitting in a hidden folder somewhere, as long as I'm not being constantly pestered about it. I don't need a rooted tablet, and I won't be pressed for storage space anyways.

Simple solution. A+ advice.
Thanks again, vuholmes!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones