• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Nexus 7: how to obtain a new IP address?

klarchen

Lurker
Dec 8, 2012
First of all, excuse my level of ignorance. You could picture me as a caveman, that way I am excused to ask such stupid questions.

If I reset all data on my tablet, will that give me a new IP address? Sort of what happens when you reboot computers.
If not, then how can I get a new IP address?

Thanks in advance.

If your router is anything like mine, it remembers the IP address of every device based on the MAC address (sort of a unique serial number for networking devices). So resetting, disconnecting the tablet is not enough.

You will need to set a static IP address for the device itself. Its not ridiculously hard to do. Just look up how online.

If your talking about your PUBLIC IP (which what servers on the internet see) that's entirely different and your Nexus has noting to do with it. That's based on whatever address your ISP gives you.

Upvote 0
your device does not control ip nor its settings. if you want a new ip you must enter's your router's configuration. which can be easily done by figuring out the gateway. most cases its 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1 from there you must log into your router with user name and pass if u didnt set up an account sometimes default is user namer admin and pass is just password or leave user name blank and enter password for pass. anyways all routers are different some have login details on the sticker either under the router or on the back. once you gain access to your router you have to find where you can release ip and renew ip lease. i will say this not all isp will allow you to change your ip. for example im with verizon fios and i can change my ip but others have a fixed ip lease time period meaning its set to change dynamic ip after so long and cant be changed manually. anyways also sometimes a router reboot can help you out lol. but not for all.

Upvote 0
The only time I've seen a different IP address is after rebooting the router. I can think of no reason you'd want a different IP unless run a web server (IIS/Apache) or similar situation on a PC where you need a fixed IP. Since you're expressing a "level of ignorance" I can only assume you have a different problem and somehow think this is the remedy.

The best way to get a specific IP is to set it/reserve it on your router's admin page, like n4zty specified, but I doubt that'll fix your problem.

What are you really trying to accomplish? :D

Upvote 0
The only time I've seen a different IP address is after rebooting the router. I can think of no reason you'd want a different IP unless run a web server (IIS/Apache) or similar situation on a PC where you need a fixed IP. Since you're expressing a "level of ignorance" I can only assume you have a different problem and somehow think this is the remedy.

The best way to get a specific IP is to set it/reserve it on your router's admin page, like n4zty specified, but I doubt that'll fix your problem.

What are you really trying to accomplish? :D

I was thinking maybe he got IP banned from a site and wants back in... only other think I could think of :D

Upvote 0
Rebooting router dont always work and especially on win 7 and up. Not every isp gives you the ability to change ip. I remember having the cheapest net package with bright house but came with a small black modem box but what I loved about it was that by unplugging the modem and reconnecting it I would get a whole new ip and I dont mean last 3 digits I mean a whole new ip range and all lol now with verizon fios and it dosnt work like that for me atleast. But I can change last 3 digits by releasing and renewing within router's settings.

Upvote 0
Here's a bit of an obscure fun fact. If you change the MAC address of your router and reboot it, the ISP will almost always give you a different WAN IP address than what it had with the previous MAC. How can this be done? By flashing the DD-WRT ROM on your router thereby replacing the stock router ROM. Then, by picking a different "MAC address clone value" in the settings. You'd think the MAC address is permanently affixed to the hardware, but it's changeable when using a custom ROM in your router. Neall

Upvote 0
Craig's List let's four accounts post eight ads each over three days time per IP address, or so it was a couple years ago. Mass posters would use an USB cell modem, from Verizon and AT&T, and each time they disconnect then reconnected they would receive a new IP address. I think this could be done with other carriers, yet this was the most reliable way - just can't remember the USB models. I don't know if it still works or not, much less with the N7.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones