Nexus 7 In-Dash ProjectGeneral

Last Updated:

1. imnotmikal

imnotmikal Well-Known Member Developer

Hey guys, I don't really come around here much anymore, but I thought since this project is an Android project too, I'd post it here.

FIRST: I don't want to hear about how this is a stupid idea or anything like that.

Anyway, here's what's going on:
    I will be installing a Nexus 7 in my dash, completely automated, integrated, and removable. When it is slid into the dash, it will automatically turn on Wifi, Bluetooth, and Music, thanks to NFC tags. The N7 will stream audio to a Bluetooth receiver, which then feeds into an EQ. From the EQ, it goes to my sub and 4 channel amps. The N7 will be kept charged by a hard-wired POGO pin charger.

I'm debating whether or not to make a pod for my GNex (also removable) that will use NFC to automatically turn on Wifi Tether.

Update 12/5
    My prototype POGO pin charger works! Although currently looking like a death trap, I will clean it up and hard wire it into the car when it completely ready. (Testing was done with my GNex. I know the pins are in different positions, this was just very early stages of development, for testing purposes.)

Update 12/7
    The Nexus 7 will be bought on 12/9. NFC tags and RCA level controllers were ordered and should be here in a week or two.

Update 12/9
    Picked up the Nexus, and began cutting my dash to fit it. More cuts will be made, and then fiberglass will come.

Update 2/6
    The dash is coming along quite nicely. Fiberglass is done, time for body filler.

Rxpert83 likes this.
  2. imnotmikal

3. imnotmikal

-also reserved-
  4. Rcarnes91

Rcarnes91 Well-Known Member

Cool make sure you get some pictures of your build
  5. binary visions

binary visions Well-Known Member

Nice. I've been considering a dash mount for mine. Not really in-dash, but hopefully just a bracket of some kind.

My only concern is head/cold fluctuations and how well the N7 will deal with them.
  6. imnotmikal

Definitely. I'm mainly a car audio guy, and this build is on my favorite car audio forum as well, so of course I will be taking pictures. :p

I'll be updating this thread with photos as they happen.

Well, the N7 will be removable, and only in the dash while I'm driving. I use (will use...) it at work a lot (I currently rely on my GNex), and also at home. So, the tablet will pretty much be with me at all times when its not in the car.
  7. binary visions

Right, I am mostly concerned about things like, say, shopping, or visiting a friend... times where I want the tablet as a media device in the car, but do not want to take it with me so it'll sit for several hours in a car that could be either very hot or very cold.
  8. imnotmikal

Ah, I see what you mean. Im sure there week be no issues, not around my area at least. We don't have extreme hot or cold around here.
  9. Omar Days

Omar Days Well-Known Member

Looking forward to the pics when this is done
  10. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood Moderator

Sounds very cool.

Keep us in the loop!
  11. imnotmikal

And so it begins.
  12. imnotmikal

A few preliminary cuts later:

Gotta make a few more cuts to make it so it will be able to sit flush, and then fiberglass.
  13. imnotmikal

Also, for the future, I will be posting pics along the way on my Instagram account.
    If you want to see the photos before I post them on various forums, feel free to follow me.

imnotmikal on Instagram

There may be a few random photos in, but there will definitely be Nexus 7 updates along the way.
  14. En4cer2k11

En4cer2k11 Well-Known Member

Umm... I wouldn't just leave a tablet on the dash in an unattended car for several hours for potential opportunistic passerby's to see...
  15. imnotmikal

To the "untrained eye" this will just look like any other radio, so there won't be anymore reason for someone to break into than any other radio.
  16. SlyFerret

SlyFerret Well-Known Member

Neat project! Compared to the cost of a high end head unit, a N7 is a really inexpensive option that gives you crazy flexibility and features.

Are you married to the idea of a BT audio streaming? If you can find a way to hook into the pogo plugs on the side of the tablet to get a line level audio feed out, you won't have the audio quality degraded by the BT streaming.

I also don't think I saw the type of vehicle mentioned in the thread. What sort of ride are you installing this into?

Rxpert83 likes this.
  17. imnotmikal

This is being installed in my 2012 Chevy Sonic.

If I could figure out how to wire the pogo pins to allow audio out, I would attempt to do it that way. I'm not really married to the Bluetooth, I'm married to the "wireless" aspect of it. I don't want to have to plug in USB or 3.5mm every time I put it in the dash.

I would prefer to do it via POGO pins, but I just can't find enough documentation to help in this this.
  18. imnotmikal

Some tape to hold it in place, to give you an idea of what it will look like when it's done.
    Hopefully buying the fiberglass resin this week to get started on the actual build.

Lordvincent 90 and Rxpert83 like this.
  19. imnotmikal

Oh, no one here saw my "prototype" pogo charger, but here it is, all cleaned up.

I am waiting on some probes to go on the end to complete the pins.
    Rxpert83 likes this.
  20. imnotmikal

So, I stopped at Advance on the way home to pick up fiberglassing stuff, and the cashier asked "What are you working on?" So I told him I was putting a tablet in my dash. He answered with a confused look and "Like uhh... internet tablet?"

Anyway, I have my fiberglass resin and whatnot. Waiting for it to either warm up, or me to find a warm ventilated area to proceed.
    Looks like my NFC tags will be here tomorrow, my POGO probes will be here at the end of this week, and my RCA level controllers some time this week as well.
  21. Rcarnes91

Rcarnes91 Well-Known Member

Nice I want to see how it turns out maybe I will do the same
  22. TobesEtc

TobesEtc Well-Known Member

I love the idea of doing this. Shame no one car/tablet combination (certainly not mine) merits a proper kit, but this DIY version looks great. How's it coming along?
  23. AntimonyER

AntimonyER AF Addict VIP Member

This is a pretty cool project. I played around with my car like this when I was in college. But no time anymore. :p I will live vicariously through you ;)
  24. binary visions

What are you using the fiberglass for? Are you just fabricating some cleaner edges/mount for pogo pins?
  25. Omar Days

Omar Days Well-Known Member

wish i was clever enough to do this stuff! when i get my new ride, i'll go to a custom car place to do something similar.