• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Nexus 7 In-Dash Project

I love this idea! I'm hoping to do the same thing in my car soon.
One thing though, not sure if you're aware but Bluetooth A2DP uses lossy data compression, not to mention cutting out and breaking up when there's interference on the same frequency band.

If you're using a sub and 4 channel amp, I assume you care about sound quality. You'll get better sound using the headphone output. Or MUCH better sound using the micro USB port to outsource the conversion to an external DAC, which is going to be much better than the little DAC built into the N7. That's what I'm looking into myself.

Going wireless is nice but you're going to have some compromises. Since the tablet will be plugged in your car for power most of the time anyway, why not also have the audio signal wired?

Upvote 0
Interestingly enough, I have had no issues with streaming audio to my current headunit. No cutting. To the "naked ear" the sound quality is fine, but I may look into it more.

If could find a pin-out chart, I may end up wiring the POGO pins itself to a DAC. Hell, I might just spend a couple bucks and by the N7 POGO dock that has all the wiring done already, and just use that. I still have some decisions to make.

In terms of progress, it has been raining nonstop (literally... nonstop...) for about 4 days now, and we are supposedly getting anywhere from 1 to 5 inches of snow tonight. Needless to say, these are not the conditions to be fiberglassing in.

Upvote 0
Just got my nexus 7 today and am looking at doing the same thing but mine will be going in an r33 nissan skyline also had the idea of using nfc tags to put my phone into tether mode and the n7 to turn on bluetooth and wifi.
It all works fine connected through my sony bluetooth head unit with no sound loss :)
My only issue is getting it to charge as to do it buy usb would make it awkward to just slip in and out so the idea of incorporating the official stand is something i will have to look into once i get round to it.

Upvote 0
2013-02-06%2022.50.03.jpg

2013-02-06%2022.50.13.jpg

It's not the prettiest thing, but it will all be covered up.

I will be covering the card slot thing and putting 2 knobs there. One for volume, and one for subwoofer controller. Once I get that done, I plan to add a thin felt of some sort to the place for the nexus to sit in.

I still need to figure out how I will make sure the Nexus doesn't move while its in there. I'm not 100% sure if I'm going to be doing the POGO charging at the moment. I'm getting a little tired of this project already, and just want to be done with it... lol.

Next step is some body filler. Hope to get that done in the next couple of days.

Upvote 0
For those of you being patient, here's an update.

I've done all the fiberglass and body filler. Going to do a little sanding tonight and hopefully primer/paint. After that, I'll need a small amount of fabric to cover the hole where the Nexus will sit.

Once that's done, its a waiting game until I can purchase the remaining equipment.

Upvote 0
It's been a while... Anyway, time to start working on this again... lol

The dash itself is done save for a little sanding and paint. Next is the wiring. I've ordered the Bluetooth receiver, an I think I know how I'm going to do all this.

Only thing(s) I have left to order are: A few sets of RCAs, Rockford Fosgate 3Sixty, and the amp. Then I will pretty much be ready to finish this up.

Upvote 0
Cool project. I did something similar for my f150. it may not let me post a link here but you can search removable nexus 7 dash and find my YouTube video or mp3car thread. To answer an earlier question, if I am out of the vehicle for a long time I just put it under the seat. Don't know how it will hold up this summer but its been fine so far

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones