• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help nexus 7 international license question

As a US user, when I went to visit Ireland and Australia, I couldn't access services that weren't already available in those countries. I was trying to shop for music I was hearing on the radio and I couldn't get music to come up in the Play Store but I was able access the stuff I had uploaded on Google Music. I'd say to check around with other users in Sweden first to make 100% sure.

Reactions: maxthebrax
Upvote 0
When i move to sweden, i will cancel my US credit card, so i dont think i will be buying any music, movies or other media until google signs the papers

I don't think having a US credit card matters nearly as much as where you are trying to reach the store from. All of my cards are US cards and I couldn't even see the music store.

Reactions: maxthebrax
Upvote 0
I live in Sweden, and come from Australia.

To answer your question,

We're sorry. The Google Play music player is currently only available in the United States.
Sorry! Magazines on Google Play is not available in your country yet.
Sorry! Books on Google Play is not available in your country yet.
Sorry! Movies on Google Play is not available in your country yet.
(And cant buy a Nexus 7)

It is the same as my Aussie Xbox Live account.. they are geo region locked.
Even with my Aussie credit card on my Aussie account used in sweden, i am unable to purchase content, or download content already purchased, without an Aussie IP address.

To relate that to Google Play or in my case Samsung store, Even with Aussie credit card and Aussie accounts, i am unable to purchase or download. I tried an android VPN on my unrooted ICS, and the VPN and overseas IP only worked on web browser etc, not marketplace, so unable to install free apps.

Welcome to the world of region locking..

Upvote 0
I live in the US and this past May I went to Nicaragua. I was not able to access the music/movies/book stores. Magazines and TV shows were not a part of the Play Store at the time but I'll guess I wouldn't have been able to either. I'm pretty sure it has more to do with licensing agreements for the sale of copyrighted content. From what I understand, there are workarounds that basically require you to VPN to a US server and therefore you trick Google services and the Play Store into believing you are physically in the US. This should allow you to purchase content. Whether you will need to keep a US credit card, or can pay with your international card is unknown to me. I wouldn't see the problem. If I were from another country and came to the US to go to college and still had my credit card from my country of origin, I would guess Google would let me use it... no?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones