1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

Nexus 7 or 10?General

1. dalesponyrider

dalesponyrider Well-Known Member

I have got a GNex and a PC. I find the GNex great and use it as a mini computer as I am rarely at home to use the PC. I am either working, outside with my ponies or at my 91 year old parents house caring for them. Now, when I am outside my GNex is a Godsend. When I am at my parents house I use my GNex to browse the Internet, check emails and occasionally to watch television. When I am at home I have competition for the PC so often have to use the GNex.

Now, I find using the GNex so much is a bit of a strain on my eyes so am asking for a Nexus Tablet for Christmas.

The thing is, I can't decide on a 7 or 10.

Which do you guys recommend? I would use it daily both at my house and my parents house, and rely on my lovely little GNex when I'm out and about.

?????????

Advertisement
    :
  2. wearethestorm

wearethestorm Well-Known Member

Tough choice! I bought a Nexus 7 back in August and absolutely loved it, my first tablet. After using a friends ipad for browsing a few times I realised how much I preferred the bigger screen.. But the benefit of the 7 is how easy it is to take everywhere with you, it's so light and easy to use if you commute by train...

So I would say if you plan on reading books on it, using it on the move a lot and aren't too bothered by the screen size, go for the 7.

If you aren't limited for space and will rarely use the device on your travels, then you may enjoy the bigger screen on the 10, the display is incredible.

I personally haven't really missed my 7 since I got the 10!
  3. nj02vette

nj02vette Well-Known Member

This is one of those questions that only you can answer. 7" seems perfect to some, too small for others while 10" is perfect or too big. And there's a whole group who prefer something in between.

The best advice I can give is if you primarily read or play motion based games, the 7" seems to be better. It's lighter and easier to hold for prolonged periods of time, which is why it may be better for reading. I've also read that the smaller size makes moving/tilting the Nexus 7 much easier than the 10.

For web browsing, movies, non-motion based games, or any other productivity applications, 10" is the way to go.

And of course there's the price to factor in. Even if you prefer 10", are you willing to pay double for it?
  4. dalesponyrider

dalesponyrider Well-Known Member

Hmmm. I don't play games but I do read books with my kindle app on my GNex. The 7 would be handy for that. How good is the 7 for television and films?
  5. jer.lawrence

jer.lawrence Well-Known Member

I have no issues watching TV on my 7 (though NetFlix or the Daily Show app or something like that). It's fine for one person to watch on, but not really shareable with the small screen. Still looks very sharp on that screen.
  6. Bhelios

Bhelios Well-Known Member

For me it came down to location, location, location -- since my tablet is in the house 95% of the time, 10 inch version is what I went with. If I had to move one around / use it in public, 7 inch would be more easily managed.
  7. Skyroket

Skyroket Well-Known Member

I found myself using n7 mostly at home. I thought i would use it in the public or car.. But Gnex does everything what n7 does.. I think im gonna switch to n10 today.. If ill find it in the local stores.
  8. kristalsoldier

kristalsoldier Well-Known Member

I opted for the Nexus 10. I use it most for reading (mostly for work - about 4-5 hrs a day), surfing (for research and pleasure 3-4 hrs a day), watching movies (1 hr or so a day). Recently, I got myself a keyboard and will be using it to create draft documents which I will sync via the cloud (using apps like Google Drive and Evernote) and which I will import into Word which resides in my laptop. I probably could not have done all of this with the Nexus 7 because of the screen size which, to me, is a bit small. In other words, what I am trying to say is that your choice - aside from your personal preference - will depend on what you want to do with the tablet.

Edit: I forgot to add, I carry it (and now with the case) everyday - including on holidays/ weekends etc.).
    Caveman419 likes this.
  9. Skyroket

Skyroket Well-Known Member

no luck in finding it in the stores.
  10. Chrizzl3

Chrizzl3 Well-Known Member

10 no debate
  11. kristalsoldier

See...here is the question I have...how is the N7 more portable? I slip my N10 into a soft cover/ case which then goes into a light weight sometimes cloth and sometimes leather bag contrasting a notebook, a couple of pens, my headache meds and I'm good to go. If I had the N7, I would have done the same thing.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD
  12. estubby

estubby Member

You make a good point. From a portability standpoint, they are fairly equivalent. They both fit easily into a purse, backpack, attache, etc. But, from a discretion standpoint, the N7 does have advantages. I ride the bus everywhere, and the passengers reading 10-inch tablets stand out quite a bit more than the passengers with their 7-inch tablets. That's why I went with the N7.
  13. kristalsoldier

Good point. I guess I don't think about the discretion bit. Moreover, the N10 screen size just feels more comfortable... For me, that is. I did handle the N7 at stores though and it does feel good in the hand.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD