Nexus 7 root backup restore problem. Please help!

Last Updated:

1. NoahWL1

NoahWL1 New Member

Hi, I have just unlocked my bootloader and rooted my Nexus 7 on 4.2.1 JellyBean. Everything was successful, until now. I backed up with the root toolkit before unlocking the bootloader. After rooting was completed, I tried to use the "Restore" option on the toolkit. Everything works, until it just freezes. What I mean by that is the restore is running, and then, when the restore gets to some app (it shows what app it's restoring on the Nexus 7) it just stays on that app forever. It's been running on the com.hotmail.Z7 app (This seems to be the only one it stops on) It's done this 3 times now. In between the different restore attempts, I've either wiped the device clean and rebooted, or done nothing. And yes, I've enabled Developer Options, and turned on USB Debugging. Please help. Thanks so much.

Advertisement
  2. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!! Moderator

welcome to the forums!!!!!!

i moved you to the nexus 7 root forum.

i'm not too familiar with your device? you mention tool kit, is this an app? if so what is the name? do you have recovery?
  3. kidcarter93

kidcarter93 Well-Known Member

As I don't use tool kits, I'm not sure if there might be an error within the toolkit itself and that could be why it's not letting you restore your backup.

I can think of 2 options for you, at the moment;
    1. If you still want to use a toolkit to restore your backup, then you could try using a different toolkit. As I said above, there could be a slight error within the toolkit you're using so using a different toolkit would most probably work.

2. As you've unlocked your bootloader, you'll be able to install CWM or TWRP recoveries and make a backup using one of those. There should actually be an option in the toolkit that'll install a custom recovery for you.
  4. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood Moderator

I've never used to the toolkit backup an restore functions. If I were you I'd just set it up manually again
    ocnbrze likes this.
  5. saltire

saltire VIP Member VIP Member

Think the OP was hoping that after unlocking and thus full wipe, he could get apps, settings etc back doing a backup/restore through the toolkit (guessing Wug's).

I didn't have much set up when I unlocked/rooted so never bothered with that myself anyway - just set a few things up again once rooted.

Only thing I'll say is now you're rooted do a backup using the custom recovery before doing anything else. Then you might have to bite the bullet and go through tab setup again, then do another nandroid backup once all set up - at least then you'll only need to redo whole set up once.
    ocnbrze likes this.